What shouldn't be said at groupDIY!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bitman said:

Have some respect, when the 741 was new it was the hot new thing... First unity gain stable monolithic opamp. While even back then we used LM301s for higher audio performance but still the 741 was a remarkable engineering achievement.  Opamps have come a long way since then.

Just like we have computers beating humans at chess or whatever these days, I would like to see a shoot out between the new uber opamps and the best DOA, I expect the DOAs would fall to ICs just like the chess grand masters did to big blue.

JR

JohnRoberts said:
bitman said:

Have some respect, when the 741 was new it was the hot new thing... First unity gain stable monolithic opamp. While even back then we used LM301s for higher audio performance but still the 741 was a remarkable engineering achievement.  Opamps have come a long way since then.

Just like we have computers beating humans at chess or whatever these days, I would like to see a shoot out between the new uber opamps and the best DOA, I expect the DOAs would fall to ICs just like the chess grand masters did to big blue.

JR

I know,

But nothing replaces the top end with hiss like the good old 741

tilt-shift filter

Say it three times quickly!

I think this is a great name for a Friday night coctail, or esoteric high strength ale... Make mine a pint of tilt-shift-filter!

Ok.
tilt shift filter
tilt shift filter
tit sh*t fitter

Les

JohnRoberts said:
I expect the DOAs would fall to ICs just like the chess grand masters did to big blue.

Try this one. I think it was designed by Samuel Groner although I haven't seen him mention it around here.  http://www.weiss-highend.ch/oem.html

Hopefully he included it in his opamp specification opus...

It looks like it's quite good, but some of the new uber silicon is quite good too... and a lot less effort (no trim pots).

Technology marches on...

JR

Back