What studio gear do YOU want to build?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matriachamplification

Wall Thomas
Hello GDIY

We want to see what studio you would build and help you visualize this goal.

So I decided to make a game about sound and are well into the development of an Interactive "Point and Click Sandbox" 3D Recording Studio Builder.

This would fall under the category of Video Game however, we have the luxury of real life factual information attached to the items players can interact with while building out their own vision for a Custom Recording Studio and of course a Custom Tube Console.

We are working on the REDD.37 and a full model of the 1955 Abbey Roads Studio shown in this video shared previously by David in another thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWSqOvqdO-M

I am not overly fond of talking about what we are doing as it consumes to much time, so we are putting together a short teaser video to show what you can do with our interactive media.

I wont undersell this... its a huge opportunity to take education into the modern age.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.png
    Untitled-1.png
    486.1 KB · Views: 57
matriachamplification said:
Hey Puncho,

this is a fantastic idea and a perfect place to start.

Am I correct in assuming your Reverb Designs vision is rack mounted?

no... I am talking about a real analog plate.  About the only rack mount part would be the remote controls and possible the electronics for the exciter and pickups.

pucho812 said:
no... I am talking about a real analog plate.  About the only rack mount part would be the remote controls and possible the electronics for the exciter and pickups.

Similar to the Abbey Roads Studios Plate Reverbs?

I am sorry, I have little exp. building a Plate Reverb. Can you share more details even a image of what you are thinking?

We are recreating a 3D model of the ARS rooms including the Reverb Plates so adopting a DIY design is doable.

A plate reverb is a plate reverb. Look at pictures of the EMT 140.

That being said, a GREAT project. Have been dreaming about building one of these for a long time. Do you have access to a metal shop?

Ryan

Hello FarisElk

thank you for sharing the EMT140 for referencing.

Yes, our neighbour operates a metal shop a few farms over. We can build both the actual 300kg plate reverb, one in mono and one for stereo, as well as a 3D model with some time and thought of course.

I am a bit speechless as I never considered reverb. Very exciting!

FarisElek said:
A plate reverb is a plate reverb. Look at pictures of the EMT 140.

That being said, a GREAT project. Have been dreaming about building one of these for a long time. Do you have access to a metal shop?

Ryan

yes correct. we have 2 already at the studio. one is sick. I have been working  on healing the sick parts. But it does pose some questions  even when I have access to one.  mainly outside of the 162 electronics.  like attaching the exciter and attaching the mics. I have heard when martin sound did their own version of plate electronics the used a piezo attached with car glue for the pickups and I am not sure how they did the exciter  transducer.  there are a lot of ways to go here. It could be done. 

pucho812 said:
But it does pose some questions  ...like attaching the exciter and attaching the mics. I have heard when martin sound did their own version of plate electronics the used a piezo attached with car glue for the pickups and I am not sure how they did the exciter  transducer.
This is not the most difficult part IMO.
I had good results with so-called "exciters" glued directly to the plate and magnetic guitar pickup's.
Finding the right steel plate and proper reliable attachments was the hardest part.

I did a Jim Cunningham low noise mod to a clients plate maybe 15 years ago.  The client bought the kit & I installed it.  It used peizo pickups.  The car glue you are talking about, in this kit, was the stuff that you glue a rear view mirror to a windscreen/shield.  The kit was just a couple of piezo transducers & a couple of caps & maybe a couple of resistors too.  This was just to change the inoput impedance to something more appropriate for the very high impedance piezo transducers.  It actually worked very well & significantly dropped the noise floor by 10 or 20dB, I can't remember which.

abbey road d enfer said:
This is not the most difficult part IMO.
I had good results with so-called "exciters" glued directly to the plate and magnetic guitar pickup's.
Finding the right steel plate and proper reliable attachments was the hardest part.

indeed. the plate itself is crucial.

I'd like to build a simple passive monitor control

But every time i start the process, massive amounts of feature creep pile up

been through it five or six times now

::)

gyraf said:
I'd like to build a simple passive monitor control

But every time i start the process, massive amounts of feature creep pile up

been through it five or six times now

::)

Feature Creep is actually my game dev tag :) I know the syndrome all to well.

We are in a similar boat. We started concepted a passive mixer for Dolby Atmos mixing. If I recall the specs
7.4.2 (the mid 4 being ceiling mounted monitors)

As simple as a passive mixer seemed, this was WAY outside my ability to mentally comprehend.

When the expressed needs go beyond the very basic, it becomes just impossible to stay in the "passive" realm.
Everything becomes easier with active, like monoing, substracting...and so on. And most of the signal path is halved.

abbey road d enfer said:
When the expressed needs go beyond the very basic, it becomes just impossible to stay in the "passive" realm.
Everything becomes easier with active, like monoing, substracting...and so on. And most of the signal path is halved.

Noted. With advice from Mr. Thompson-Bell my appetite for a huge 64 channel console changed significantly lol. Fortunately SPL released the MC16 which is a purchase we are begrudgingly working towards.

https://spl.audio/en/spl-produkt/mc16/

In fact, the 16 step ganged potentiometer was exactly the route I was going. We had begun working with a company that makes attenuators... Gold something. The advice I got was I should use dual 6-gang pots with a heavy duty knob.

Latest posts

Back