What's the best bet for ordering Chinese manufactured capsules direct? 797?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The takstar cts-2 is the best k67 capsule out of China I think. Takstar is on another level than other manufacturers. They're like 797 In that they are old and massive and do a lot of contract work but they go a little slower than 797 and they serve higher-end clientele I guess you could say. They are a manufacturer of much distinction.

Do you know a microphone that used the CY002?

Is the CY037 the capsule used in the B2, NT2 Classic I etc...?

What is the difference between them? Only tensioning?
According to 797 Audio the CY002 capsule is used in the Soundelux U95 microphone. I order two sample CY002 capsules, and fitted one in the Soundelux U95 microphone wich i was repairing ;-)
Worked out great :-D

That reminds me! If you are wondering if they have a "stock brand" so you can evaluate their work standalone, the answer is Lewitt. Lewitt is a joint venture founded by an AKG staff member that they collaborated with on the AKG Perception series and the son of Takstar's CEO.
Huh. I didn't really like the Lewitt stuff I used, but that's not because I found it bad, it was just a K67 based utility mic, and I chose to sell the Lewitt I had because I found the CAD M179 a better value. I've only used the LCT441 and the cheaper small diaphragm condensers though, and a CAD M179 pair is the same price as the LCT441 was when I had one.

I will say I didn't find the CAD or Lewitt to be sibilant. The highest peak is at 4.5 dB or so (at least as far as their measurements say). Definitely a bit bright, but not harsh.

I actually think the Takstar SM-18 PRO looks pretty cool. Three pattern mic with a C414-ish body. It's a bit more expensive and has less patterns than the CAD M179 which is why I haven't tried it yet.

Last edited:
This Takstar capsule and CY002 have pretty much identical response. Takstar is about 1db less bright. They can really be used interchangeably. Green-Takstar.

Attachments

• 20220702_215526.jpg
    20220702_215526.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
And this is Takstar capsule with applied measured vintage u87 circuit curve, and Bob's your uncle.... Exact u87 response.

However there's a catch! These measurements are without mic body/grille. The challenge is to make/obtain a body/grille that performs as the original to maintain this response. Not an easy task i promise!

Attachments

• 20220702_220419.jpg
    20220702_220419.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 66
This is the upper Takstar curve (green) w 1/12 smoothing against real Neumann U87ai response (red). Please disregard the difference in low end it is due to proximity effect i used an omni reference mic for U87ai measurement, low end is otherwise identical. The difference above 13k is mainly because of u87 grille, it reduces some of the hf.

Attachments

• 20220702_221603.jpg
    20220702_221603.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 69
It is close, but i would tave to measure it to be sure. It is one layer mesh compared to three of the u87. It could be it needs some adjusting of the area below the capsule. The body is pretty resonant compared to the original.

The body is critical. Here's the CY002 with deemphasis on it's own, and under same exact conditions but in an "untreated" u47 type body. Same circuit, same everything. I separated them so it's easier to see.

Attachments

• 20220703_002449.jpg
    20220703_002449.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 69
It is close, but i would tave to measure it to be sure. It is one layer mesh compared to three of the u87. It could be it needs some adjusting of the area below the capsule. The body is pretty resonant compared to the original.
Besides the whole mic and grille is smaller, did you tried the MAudio Nova body or measured a K67 in its grille? (I remember Piotr liked it). If I'm not mistaken it have two layers mesh. A U87 circuit would be tricky but possible to build inside because of the size and a U67 with and EF86 guess should be impossible, but a submini and a simplier circuit would fit.

I haven't measured the Nova. It should work, NT2 should as well, but pay attention to what the surface under the capsule looks like on the original and replicas. Does the grille bottom ring form a straight angle wall. Standing waves, basic acpustics. Does the whole body resonate. Helmholz resonance/seashell resonance? The capsule is an eardrum right next to a resonator. Neumann has all these covered. Not to mention Elam.

Look at the image of modern, vintage u87, and typical diy body with ring that forms a 90° wall to the base.

Calculate the distance from the capsule and convert it to wavelength. You get crappy disturbance in the FR where human ear is most sensitive.

I see 1 in 1000 posts about topics like this where 999 is about unobtainium and other basically irrelevant stuff.

U87 is easy. You have to just make it as transparent as you can. While with c800, u47, and such you need to tune the capsule surroundings to make exact notches and resonances as the originals. So there's something to think about. Every milimeter of deviation shifts the frequency of a disturbance.

Notches of 3-6db are very common. And look at the graph where they appear.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220703-040536_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220703-040536_Gallery.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 52
  • Screenshot_20220703-035946_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20220703-035946_Brave.jpg
    499.8 KB · Views: 47
  • Screenshot_20220703-035913_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20220703-035913_Brave.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Sure. No grille is 100% transparent, not even u87's.

My favorite mic has been now for a year one with heavily modified large edge terminated capsule with no grille at all.

So there's an idea, and something to think about. I'll have to keep the details to myself for now. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out. Fragile as hell though as the diaphragm isn't protected.

i do think the neumann headbasket does something slight that's additive too though, its own particular brand of very very gentle resonance, like a signature. i've only ever seen one non-neumann mic get the neumann sound 100% right in my life.
Which mic was that? It might be good to have a look at how that accomplished it.

Of course I think the goal should be a useful neutral mic rather than nailing the Neumann sound. Not DIY but a lot of people within the last few years recommend the Audix SCX1-HC as a poor man's Schoeps, and I think it does sound really similar, but there's something funky going on with the high end that makes me find them muffled, like there's a very dense windscreen on or some sort of absorber in front like fiberglass or a duvet. I don't find the Oktava MK-012 to have this issue, though they can sound a bit boxy.

Last edited:
Sure. No grille is 100% transparent, not even u87's.

My favorite mic has been now for a year one with heavily modified large edge terminated capsule with no grille at all.

So there's an idea, and something to think about. I'll have to keep the details to myself for now. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out. Fragile as hell though as the diaphragm isn't protected.
There's an idea, eh? A screw-on protective basket that you simply unscrew and remove at the last minute after the mic is placed and secured in its position. LDC mics are generally used in studios anyway, and not a "field" mic. For vocals, obviously you would be protecting the diaphragm with a pop filter, but for instruments, you could leave it exposed. Might be a neat experiment with a DIY built from Chinese body/capsule.

There's an idea, eh? A screw-on protective basket that you simply unscrew and remove at the last minute after the mic is placed and secured in its position. LDC mics are generally used in studios anyway, and not a "field" mic. For vocals, obviously you would be protecting the diaphragm with a pop filter, but for instruments, you could leave it exposed. Might be a neat experiment with a DIY built from Chinese body/capsule.
But you still need emi shielding, a condenser doesn't really work once you remove the grille. That's the tricky part.

The takstar cts-2 is the best k67 capsule out of China I think. Takstar is on another level than other manufacturers. They're like 797 In that they are old and massive and do a lot of contract work but they go a little slower than 797 and they serve higher-end clientele I guess you could say. They are a manufacturer of much distinction.
What do you think of the CTS-4?

Latest posts

Back