Which is better, Bipolar or biased unidirectional caps?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="mediatechnology"]

I have found the Cyril Bateman articles on EW+WW. But their index is incomplete and I can't tell which one of the seven is the one on electros and bias. It's only 4 lb/Sterling. I read in another post his tests were at 1KHz though.

Does anyone know which article it was?

[/quote]

Other than that I think it was one of the more recent ones, I'm not sure. Alas, I let my subscription lapse, and unlike many magazines where they give you about 7 opportunities to be reminded, they never did even once.

But I may have the article---I must have read it from my own copy, and I have most of the issues I do have in a central location---so I will try to find time to browse through them.

I have tested the nichicon Muse ES Bipolars, the ones in the pretty green cases.

they are very very good parts. well worth every penny.

I bought a bag of 50 from Handmade electronics for 35$. I'll be buying another bag shortly as I have been tearing out all of my old caps and putting these in. A real audible difference when replacing non voltage biased unipolar caps.

http://www.hndme.com/storecapelectrolnichES.html

tested were the 100uf/50v

I spy 4/85 on one of the last pics.
Audio Amateur
I could be in trouble, but the pics are co crappy. hmmm, maybe they won't care then?
Or it might make em madder.

The electrolytics that were in the console were not old. At least some of them were not old. During my experiments with the HE, PW types I changed maybe 1/4 of the coupling caps out. There are not a lot of gain stages throughout the signal path but the type of cap makes a noticable difference for some reason. The original caps were no name caps of some mediocre quality. a number of them had actually leaked. changing these to anything newer immediately improved the channels. along with opamp upgrades the bipolar caps seem to be the way to go for a total recap after testing many kinds. Buying in quantity makes this far more affordable, bring the caps down around the price of high quality unipolar caps.

However, this was all brought on by my current testing phase of this buss channel design. I think I've settled on one finally. I'll be presenting it soon once I figure out one more part.

I just wish they made them in surface mount.

CJ-

Walt Jung would prefer you take down your scans and link to his copy instead.

Thanks PRR, I hope the bogus scans disappear soon. Meanwhile, the readers are directed to a clean copy.

wj

FWIW it was a poor quality scan, and Ed Dell probably holds the copyright on old TAA stuff.

Hopefully he's open to dialog and will share some of his expertise and wisdom.

JR

If I was being openly sarcastic I would have used one of those smiley faces. I may have been a little contrary. While I can't speak for others I suspect most would appreciate his participation here, and our tone has not been very inviting.

I would honestly love to hear his thoughts about the current discussion of polar and non-polar electrolytic caps. I won't presume to know what he would say. He was a pioneer in writing about the differences between capacitors decades ago so he is arguably expert about that subject.

JR

I see where my objections to the poor scans has stepped on some toes. For that, I'm sorry that it happened.

FWIW, perhaps I'm overly sensitive to how my work is presented. That comes from an entire career of making one's living from written material. We all take pride in our work, right? We want it to be seen in the best light. That's where I was coming from.

Others have noted the poor scan quality, not just me. So, when a better quality copy is available, why not use that?

So, I asked for the link to my site out of a quality control sense. www.waltjung.org, as the URL indicates, isn't a for-profit enterprise. It has been available for a couple of years now (previously hosted at Comcast). There is a mission statement posted there, and in due time I hope to make more stuff available, like some of the older LTC app notes, for example. (I think I saw some discussions here about a mic pre using the LT1115 DS circuit I did with Rich Markell). It is good to see/hear of folks still getting good use from this, and I thank those posters!

In fact, related to the website, PRR contacted me about a year ago, and encouraged me to post the work of the late seventies on slewing distortion etc. That was really a lot of work just to get scanned and posted, but it all appears to be worth it. At least I hope so. He also asked that I engage with the folks here at that time. While I had visited a couple of times in the past year (time being limited), it wasn't until just recently I asked for a member account.

So, here I am (and some might say, warts and all, eh?). I hope I can make a few comments that will be better received from this point fwd.

wj

[quote author="Walt Jung"](I think I saw some discussions here about a mic pre using the LT1115 DS circuit I did with Rich Markell). It is good to see/hear of folks still getting good use from this, and I thank those posters![/quote]

That might be the scans I uploaded.

http://home.hetnet.nl/~chickennerdpig/FILES/EDN/Jung-Markell_micpre_pg1_EDN-19900913.jpg
http://home.hetnet.nl/~chickennerdpig/FILES/EDN/Jung-Markell_micpre_pg2_EDN-19900913.jpg

Don't know if there's another source, but just let me know if you'd like me to take them down.

Regards,

Peter

That might be the scans I uploaded.

http://home.hetnet.nl/~chickennerdpig/FILES/EDN/Jung-Markell_micpre_pg1_EDN-19900913.jpg
http://home.hetnet.nl/~chickennerdpig/FILES/EDN/Jung-Markell_micpre_pg2_EDN-19900913.jpg

Thanks for the note, Peter / clintrubber. That is the circuit, yes. Your scans look reasonable for now, so let them stay for a bit. It will motivate me to do what I said, get more LTC related material on my website. I think I have a slightly cleaner copy as well. Add to my to-do list..

I will get back to you on this, and thanks for being so understanding.

wj

[quote author="Walt Jung"]Thanks for the note, Peter / clintrubber. That is the circuit, yes. Your scans look reasonable for now, so let them stay for a bit. It will motivate me to do what I said, get more LTC related material on my website. I think I have a slightly cleaner copy as well. Add to my to-do list..

I will get back to you on this, and thanks for being so understanding.

wj[/quote]

Hello all,

Scans are of copied articles, so they could be better indeed. OK, I'll keep them where they are now until I hear from you.

I'll add links to the SG-thread.

Regards,

Peter

[quote author="Walt Jung"]I've re-scanned the LT1115 mic preamp, and added it as a PDF to my web site, along with a link to the DS.[/quote]
OK, I'm taking down the scans I did.
So thanks from my side as well, some free space again :wink:

[quote author="mediatechnology"]Peter;

Looks like Electronics World's publisher has closed down the site recently:

See: http://www.ewmag.co.uk/

Might be OK to publish the Cyril Bateman as pdfs.[/quote]
I've contacted Nexus for more info. Would be a pity if the mag has stopped, despite the less happening last several years.

If they've indeed stopped, isn't there still some copyright @ the writer ?

Either way, those that want those pdfs can find them, they're already available. If there's more news about the mag we can list the link again for them, otherwise I suggest to leave a little guesswork for those that want them.

Bye,

Peter

Latest posts

Back