Which soldering station to buy

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes ,I ordered it directly from ersa-shop.com. 165,85 euro.
Keep you guys informed when it arives.

I have only good things to say about my Xytronic station. There are a bunch of models, I think mine is a LF-389D (60W). It's been going strong for many years now, after starting out with a low-end Weller that was utter crap. The Xytronic uses standard tips so it's easy to find spares at a good price. I just bought a new iron for the station, as the iron cost about as much as the heating element alone so why not. Still haven't swapped it out though, as the old one still works fine.

Was considering getting one of the Xytronic rework stations, Reichelt had a good deal on them. But ended up buying a cheapo de-soldering station and later added a hot-air station aswell, and they do the job without having to have a huge station on the desk. The small form factor of the Xytronic makes it very easy to place, with the detached iron holster. Would buy again!

Ersa is still out of stock.I have to wait 3 more weeks. They could have told me before I ordered!

Still not arrived and they don't answer my mails. Watch out with ersa-shop.com!

Still not arrived and they don't answer my mails. Watch out with ersa-shop.com!
Man, that’s not cool. I ordered mine through Ersa Shop and it was a couple of days Germany to UK. No excuse for not replying to emails!

(Not relevant to this conversation I know, but just put in an order with Mouser - quite a few parts backordered, but just got a notification that one diode is now due March 2023!!)

Ok. I got it 2 weeks ago now.
First remark: the wires are to short: Not easy if you have to work under a console.
Warming up is very fast, but also the other way round. The auto power down is great on the bench not in the field.
Soldering tip is great and precise.
Very light weight and small.
I would say great for on the workbench for rather normal and small joints.
For a tube amp like a Fender you need something more powerfull.
For the price I would buy it again, but I miss my old Weller when I need power.

I really don't get how manufacturers still churn out gear with cables that are too short. It's mind-boggling. Is there anyone who likes short wires?

I personnally think that the ersa's cable is a bit too long, but it's not intended to leave my bench.

Ymmv.

Thomas

I’d agree with that but, again, mine just stays on the bench.

Ok. I got it 2 weeks ago now.
First remark: the wires are to short: Not easy if you have to work under a console.
Warming up is very fast, but also the other way round. The auto power down is great on the bench not in the field.

re auto power down - if you’ve got a PC, i believe you can make changes to the default behaviours and other parameters and save them to a sd card which then slots into the side of the unit. Haven’t tried it myself as I’m on a Mac, but then also haven’t really needed to

I have been buying solder stuff from Howard Electronics. They have pretty good prices and a lot of small parts like tips and solder.
I have a Hakko 936 on my bench that I haven't turned on for several weeks, and that time was to repair a broken solder connection in a battery charger adapter cable.

I'm cheap and rarely solder these days, since I shut down my tuner business last year (so far zero service calls).

The Hakko was serviceable for light duty.

JR
One thing I learned from you in a round about way is "I build things in a way so I don't get them back"...

Anyone tried the AIXUN T3a / T245, looks fancy?

A cheap knockoff version of a JBC?
You can use JBC tips in it.

I've been using a cheap ATTEN 80W iron for last few years that's served me well but might be time for an upgrade.

Last edited:
Of course not, but for hobbyists using it once a week, probably ok?
I'm attracted to it because of all the different JBC tips you can fit.

Attachments

• JBC Cartridge Map.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 3

Latest posts

Back