Whistle Rock Audio - Store is CLOSED

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello all,

I have finally finished the ML12 PCB manual.  I hope that you find something useful in there.
You can download it from the front page of the WRA webstore as well as from the ML12 product pages.

ML12%20PCB%20Manual%20Cover.PNG

Feedback is welcome of course.  Don't be afraid to point out the typos.  Please PM/email me if you find anything... :p

Thanks!

Mike

Mike,

In the BOM for the ML12 PSU, which side is positive on the little LED's? I can't find that info anywhere. Even the digikey datasheet just has cathode/anode.

Is the anode +, cathode -?

Hey Mike
Thanks for the quick answer. One more quick question. What's the best thing to do if I'm not using the 3rd and 4th rails? I populated the board anyway because there's a chance I might swap this out later into a preamp which requires phantom, but do I need to leave out a jumper or anything, or just leave those rails powered on, but w/ no load?

Upon first power up, the 4th rail's regulator is pretty hot even w/out a load. I assume I probably don't want that drawing current if I don't have to.

No worries. :)

You can leave the unused rails unconnected to a load and make sure that you have JP1 (Doubler/Trippler setting) set correctly to limit power dissipation in the regulator.
Alternatively, you can disable the 3rd and 4th rail by taking out the Jumpers JP1 and JP2.

Cheers,

Mike

Hey Adriano,

The ML2520 kits will be back in stock sometime this week.  Keep an eye on the store's home page for an update.
I will also post a note here to let everyone know.

Thanks,

Mike

whats the best transformer for the PSU kit? I am needing +16 0 -16 for a di only API325 thing would love to not use a wall wart -

JimiB,

Although you can use something even less powerful for just a single preamp/di, this one from Mouser is readily available and will work great.

Model:  VPT36-690

Cheers,

Mike

so could I feasibly build this power supply to power my +18 -18 rails and use the other 2 for regulated 9V outputs for powering other pedals? Usually 100-200mA max 

JimiB said:
so could I feasibly build this power supply to power my +18 -18 rails and use the other 2 for regulated 9V outputs for powering other pedals? Usually 100-200mA max

Hi JimiB,

You can definitely build the ML12 PSU to supply +/-18V.  You can set the third rail to supply +9V for your pedals.  However, the fourth rail is designed to supply +48V via a voltage double/trippler and is not suited for much else (without some hacking).  You could also just omit the parts for the 48V rail if you don't need it.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi Mike

i'm down for 8 channel API, placed the order and waiting for parts to start the fun

thanks

Hey Mike

Got the pcbs last week; all good!

About the toroidal transformer, can I hook up a 18x2 50va? I think is enough for 8 channels but wanted to make sure.

Hi Dri,

Although you would probably be fine with a 50VA, I would get something a bit beefier for 8 preamps with DI.  Something like an 80VA should be easily available and give you a nice bit of headroom.

Keep us posted!

Cheers,

Mike

Latest posts

Back