Who lives in a worse place than me?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Skylar said:
Average year-round humidity where I live is 70%, but frequently hits 100% in the summer.

I did a shoot out in the desert two weeks ago outside of Vegas. It was about that hot but the locals were complaining that due to monsoon season, the humidity was up at 39%!!!

My wife's from Norman, so I've experienced the OK summer. It's probably the worst. 100+ temps, 90+ humidity PLUS there's no shade ANYWHERE. Flat land no trees. The plains get sun scorched so they aren't even very nice to look at. Nope. Can't beat it, Skylar.

The Oklahoma Climatological Survey says July has set a record as the hottest month ever recorded in Oklahoma history.

During the hottest summer on record (1980), Oklahoma had 50 days exceeding 100°F.
To date, we're at 38 days, and the hottest month of the year has just begun. Looks like this year will set the record for hottest summer ever.

its-only-getting-worseOK.png

Well... It's nice out here right now... But another 3 and a half months I'll have to bring this puppy out...

31AS62N2766_prod_large.jpg

By January there will probably be about 6 feet of snow on the sides of my driveway... lol

Heat sucks but at least you don't have to shovel it! Go swimming! hahaha

Wow 110 to 108  :eek:, ever tried to do some scrambled eggs and bacon on car Dashboard  :p ;D, could save a day....
i think i managed 98 with 90°humidity, that was tough also, but that's not in my place.....

Skylar said:
The Oklahoma Climatological Survey says July has set a record as the hottest month ever recorded in Oklahoma history.

During the hottest summer on record (1980), Oklahoma had 50 days exceeding 100°F.
To date, we're at 38 days, and the hottest month of the year has just begun. Looks like this year will set the record for hottest summer ever.

I'm about 175 mi. se of you, but in the mountains so it not quite so hot, and we have had a scattered showers that cool it off occasionally.

However, I lived in south Louisiana for almost 15 years and I will take your heat over their humidity any day. The humidity is just oppressive, and there is no good way to deal with it, and it lasts about 9 months out of the year. Sinus problems are a part of life there.  Since moving, my sinus infections have disappeared.

I would rate it a worse place to live...

-Jack

Skylar said:
Average year-round humidity where I live is 70%...

Trust me, it's humid here.

At this point I feel almost anywhere else in the US would be an improvement.
Sounds like there are places just as bad though...TX, LA, ? ? ?
Of course there are places I wouldn't want to live for reasons outside of weather, and Louisiana is one of those.

Oppressive is a good word for adverse weather conditions [ we all get to be right ! ]
whether it's freezing cold and you physically can't move or so hot that you shut down
the times when you are trapped indoors can make you feel powerless , until you
remember all the d.i.y. you can get done

this thread has me checking the weather here in Texas every day.

looks like it'll be 100F tonight at 9pm... thats just wrong.

Especially when my lab is in the un-airconditioned garage.

/R

reflow is much easier in my garage in summer time, that I'll agree on.

I'm currently trying to work out how to make a peltier to keep my solder paste cool. Difficult when it's almost 100F!

I'm thinking tupperware box, with the peltier in the lid, connected to a heatsink and a fan.

/R

it's the corner of the garage --- 3 fans flowing on full speed (you can hear them on the SMD tools videos) , 2 oscilloscopes, 2 pc's, CNC machine, hot air rework, solder station, drill press and expat audio shipping station.

it gets a little warm out there... :)

/R

Ohh yeah pretty tight space true...

;D ;D ;D
http://www.amazon.com/Fridge-Cooler-Warmer-Warming-personal/dp/B0031LNYPS/ref=sr_1_13?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1312320401&sr=1-13

But the tupperware trick would be cheaper tough

In Sydney its a lovely 26 degrees C today.

Which is odd, because it is winter.  ???

Lovely none the less. We were having mornings below zero about 4 weeks ago.

Rochey said:
Especially when my lab is in the un-airconditioned garage.

that's where i do my mixing.  there's actually a nice geothermal cooling effect overnight with the concrete slab, so it wouldn't be too bad in the am... that is if i didn't have to open the garage door to get in :'( .  fluid dynamics is a cruel mistress, needless to say i haven't booked much work this summer.  must make a note to work on my teleportation skills.

We've hit a hundred (according to my car thermometer) 7 out of the last 7 days. Still, not as bad as Baghdad, where they've had several days of 122 degrees F. And it's Ramadan, where if you're observant you don't eat or (more important) drink from sunup to sundown. And the electricity only works 8 hours out of 24, and that if you're lucky.

I expect there were long lines outside the Icelandic embassy.

Peace,
Paul

Skylar said:
Anyone? Proof required.

OK-weather.jpg

Ah, that's nothing. I used to live in Phoenix AZ, where 120* would stay for weeks and at midnight it would "cool down" to 110*. Even in the middle of the night you could not get out the house, as the ground itself would radiate unbearable heat. I was a student and my car did not have an AC. Our little guest house had only a swamp cooler...

Best, M

Latest posts

Back