Who lives in a worse place than me?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pstamler said:
I expect there were long lines outside the Icelandic embassy.

Peace,
Paul

Sorry to interrupt the competition! 60/62 most days here. 68 would be out of the ordinary. Current night-time temp is 54. In saying that, I still don't envy the rest of you!

For the few who wanted to see what my running ice vest looked like, I won't model it for you but here's it on a hanger. It survived a close encounter with an in wall radiant heater last fall and there is some charing around the right sleeve. I wear this under a normal t-shirt so I look oddly lumpy, and for the first few miles you can hear ice cubes clicking together.

P1010034.JPG

I picked up my experiments where I left off last summer...  Monday I loaded one tray of ice cubes and they were all melted before half way... today I loaded two trays full which pretty much maxes out the vest pockets I sewed in last year, and that ice lasted almost to mile 4.  Today i tried another enhancement and pinned two small baggies of ice into a base ball cap.... I was afraid the cap would be uncomfortable, but in fact it was cool. 

I paused a few times between mile 3 and 4+ to drink ice water out of the mostly melted baggies. that ice water really hit the spot at that point of the run.

interim conclusion: A modest success. Today i started my run at about 1PM which for MS is not an optimal run time. last week both times I tried to run 5 miles earlier and cooler I was forced to slow down to a walk several times due to over heating. Today I ran the full 5, during a later hotter time of day only stopping briefly a few times to drink some ice water.  But this is still a WIP. I need to fit more ice into it. I am already adding about 2# of running weight, but since I can drink the cold water, this is not a bad thing.  I could easily imagine going up to 3# maybe even 4#

It might be good to add some ice around my neck and high on my shoulders... the cold runoff will  run down my front and back and cool me as effectively as a larger ice contact patch.

I like the idea of baggies, but it might be interesting to have several smaller baggies that drain into a larger baggie, with a drinking tube in the bottom of that larger collector bag so I can drink the melt water without stopping and digging around under my shirt. This needs to stay based on disposable baggies so it doesn't get funky like water bottles, but I can still capture and safely drink the melt.

The hat was a good improvement. but needs more ice.

JR

PS: last week the runs really kicked my ass and my judgement is it was the humidity more than the temp, since it was hotter back in June. this vest doesn't make it remotely comfortable, but it makes it possible without becoming road kill.

I lived the first 10 years of my life in St. Paul Minn.

Hell froze over winters.
Hell boils over summers. August just sucks there.  :eek:

I moved to So.Cal until that was over run, then moved to the high high country of Colorado.
Where it is B-utilful all the time.

- You know you all can move, right?

John,

i remember watching a documentary about a guy running accross northern africa... he had a special cap to hold a load of ice.

he said that by using that, he didnt need ice on his body. something about fooling the body into thinking it was in a cooler climate.

the hat covered his head, and the back of his neck.

Denyle Guitars said:
We supposedly hit 125 here 2 weeks ago but what's even worse is that my iPhone only has 1 bar.

Indeed, 125 (I experienced that--it is hot like hell !!!) has much less impact on the party than 107 supported by iPhone screenshot.

Best, M

My wife has a commercial product cooling vest that she soaks in water before sailboating or working in her garden.

Cool Tek
http://www.cooltekstore.com/

also a similar product:
http://www.hydrationdepot.com/allegro-cooling-vests.html?gclid=CKe3oL2jx6oCFQQ3gwodrUOR1g

Rochey said:
John,

i remember watching a documentary about a guy running accross northern africa... he had a special cap to hold a load of ice.

he said that by using that, he didnt need ice on his body. something about fooling the body into thinking it was in a cooler climate.

the hat covered his head, and the back of his neck.

He is not fooling his body, he is actually cooling it. We have a high blood flow to our head (something about the brain wants it's energy and oxygen), so directly cooling the head and neck will cool the blood and by transfer the core. (same reason a hat and scarf keeps us warm in winter, if you don't live in MS).

I was apprehensive about how the body reacts, because when very cold it reduces blood flow to conserve heat, so for most effectiveness this may be a balance of contact cooling, but not too cold. I suspect the overheating core will dominate in that case, but I don't know.

=======

re: commercial cooling vests.  Yes I researched those last year, and dismissed the commercial offerings for two reasons. Their weight, was an issue for running, and limited thermal/cooling mass. My back of the envelope analysis is that a few pounds of simple ice cubes, that I can drink after melting, is far more effective. If I am melting a couple pounds of ice, those commercial vests would probably turn into a sweat box way sooner. 

I also looked into drink water reservoirs, and the serious dealers, also sell additives to disinfect and manage the funk. If it wasn't for this biological complication, I could imagine a quasi permanent bladder that you fill with water and freeze, but for now I want to KISS.

JR

PS: It would also be cool, if I could suck breathing air through a pre-cooler, but that does not seem remotely practical.

I think something similar to this has been posted here before. 

http://articles.sfgate.com/2008-09-22/bay-area/17159824_1_cooling-core-temperature-intense-heat

> this biological complication

Liquid Nitrogen is cool, cheap, and solves most biological complications. (If there is something which lives in lN, it probably won't live in you.)

Insulation/diffusion needed.

I'm not sure it has higher heat capacity per lugged pound than water-ice.

No drainage problem, which is not really an advantage compared to drinkable run-off around a water-cooled being. OTOH the exhaust gas might be a cool breeze (but not in your face).

No bicycle? You reach a higher wind-speed, water-jug weight penalty is less. If you avoid high gear, force/impact-stress on joints is less.

Latest posts

Back