who wants to be a truck driver when they grow up.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That truck uses a different technology than my new garbage can... My new container is square with a post (grip) built into the front face of it that can be grabbed for machine lifting/dumping. I expect workers still need to roll these containers to the back of the truck to engage the lifting device.

Still a work in process for what we'll end up with. Poor community so I am not very optimistic about very high tech..

JR

I put my trash in a trailer that I haul to the dump a couple times a year. I suppose I could just dump it over the side of a hill the way some of the locals do.

My mother liked to say how well the garbage truck drivers were paid.

As I slowly near retirement age, I've learned to contemplate the benefits of having one Trashy job over having 2 or 3 lesser trashy jobs.

But I do remember with a smirk a practical joke a neighborhood hoodlum showed me...when the refuse truck had a driver and a hanger-on on the back who would run to grab the metal can, empty it, whistle, and run to the next house when the truck would wait.

As we watched, my neighbor whistled as the hanger-on was mid-pitch with a garbage can...the truck lurched forward, the can missed the truck, the guy yelled something at us, then decided he better catch up with the truck.

The karma was that the spilled trash that was in the street belonged to the house of the kid who tricked the truck driver.

My mother told a story of how when our family moved from Brooklyn to the suburbs of Buffalo (I was two) it was so foreign to her that she waited out front to talk to the garbage men because they were the only ones that seemed like real people.

Back