Why are there so few boutique SDC capsule manufacturers?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like a KM84.

I don’t see a preference for them as regressive.

In a similar vein, I know what a Telecaster does and find it useful. People have made guitars that are more “advanced” or more of this-or-that on paper. Many of those are also good and also useful, but that doesn’t obsolete the thing that has been a part of music for decades.

I kind of feel the same about a KM84. A KM84 on acoustic guitar or snare is a sound I know, like, and can exploit artistically. Other mics are good, too. But if I don’t have a KM84, there are situations in which I wish I did

You know the tool. Unlike the majority who've only been told over and over "it's the best", driving demand, without actually knowing it or anything else. Blind "me too"; that's what's creatively dangerous.

To my earlier point - I had KM140's and ultimately sold them because they're diffuse field mics, which I rarely need. I have a pathological dislike for turning down treble, it never sounds right to me, so those mics weren't right for me. THEY SAY the 84 is closer to a free field mic - they very reason classical recordists wanted the 184/140!

I like a KM84.

I don’t see a preference for them as regressive.

In a similar vein, I know what a Telecaster does and find it useful. People have made guitars that are more “advanced” or more of this-or-that on paper. Many of those are also good and also useful, but that doesn’t obsolete the thing that has been a part of music for decades.

I kind of feel the same about a KM84. A KM84 on acoustic guitar or snare is a sound I know, like, and can exploit artistically. Other mics are good, too. But if I don’t have a KM84, there are situations in which I wish I did

Making capsules is not an easy task. The better ones are usually thinner with more gold deposited. When they are stretched, it’s like a plate reverb, you stretch it, which raises the resonance but you have to avoid separation of the deposit.

companies like 797 will make any type you want, from a few $ to many $$$, you just have to ask. The more expensive they are, the more that get rejected, so it’s a graph of harder to make in parallel with money, in parallel with QA.

I have to point to the 120$(ish) miracle Line Audio CM4 yet again. Not exactly made from scratch, but the capsule is modded to a point it has nothing to do with the stock one. It doesn't get much more boutique than that one, made in Sweden.

There is some hype around it by the people who have used it, but not nearly enough imho. It's greatest sin is the price - people don't take it seriously.

Edit. I just bought two more 🤣
Currently selling at slightly discounted price and free shipping. Not sure if they send outside Norway.

https://www.scandinavianphoto.no/line-audio/cm4-condenser-microphone-1053650

The two CM4s arrived today. Here are the measurements of the new ones against the original CM4 i have been using for years now(green-used as the reference). The "old", used one has been traveling a lot, been on plane dozens of times (air pressure, climate change...)

No level adjustments, no smoothing. Basically any deviation from absolute flat line is due to minute differences in the placement, noise... The mics are built and capsule modified by hand.

Attachments

• 20220301_201051.jpg
    20220301_201051.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
There is no money in it. Almost no one would pay the same money for an SDC as they would for an LDC yet it is at least as much work and then there is the aforementioned problem of what body it should fit and the cost of the enclosure.

The only SDC people seem interested in these days is the K84. You can still buy that capsule from Neumann but no one does because it is expensive.
I have been approached to make a clone of that capsule many times but I have a good relationship with Neumann and wouldn't trade that for copying their capsule. They are resigned about their other designs.
I think it's also just a lot easier to get good SDCs as is. Why pay $50-100 for a donor mic, and another $100-$200 for a capsule when you can buy an MK-012 for $250 or a Line Audio CM4 for like $130. 3U Audio's SDCs are also a bit under $200, and Microphone-Parts sells what appear to be 3U SDC capsules but it's almost the same price to get a 3U Audio CM-100.

Last edited:
Don't those use the Primo EM200 capsules?
Yes, but they are modified to the point they have nothing in common with the stock one. I bought several em200 in order to mod them in same fashion for my own projects. Gave up in the end, it was way too labour intensive, made no sense having the CM4 price in mind. CM4 has additional KM84 style grille in front which alters the sound, and a chamber in the back. The circuit is also huge part of the equation.

Yes, but they are modified to the point they have nothing in common with the stock one. I bought several em200 in order to mod them in same fashion for my own projects. Gave up in the end, it was way too labour intensive, made no sense having the CM4 price in mind. CM4 has additional KM84 style grille in front which alters the sound, and a chamber in the back. The circuit is also huge part of the equation.
I heard a while back that Line Audio was considering making hyper cardioid mics too, but it's on the back burner if not scrapped because keeping up with the CM4 demand is hard

No wonder folks rave about them; even the stock capsule sounds terrific!

Also used in Teac, Tascam and Nakamichi mics.

It's generally thought that Nak did the 'pickiest' culling of the capsules for their mics, or had them made to their spec by Primo.

Also used in Teac, Tascam and Nakamichi mics.

It's generally thought that Nak did the 'pickiest' culling of the capsules for their mics, or had them made to their spec by Primo.
...and some other OEM mics.

I am currently collecting EM21 based microphones for selection and experimentation.

Attachments

• 20220306_154100.jpg
    20220306_154100.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 43
I think it's also just a lot easier to get good SDCs as is. Why pay $50-100 for a donor mic, and another $100-$200 for a capsule when you can buy an MK-012 for $250 or a Line Audio CM4 for like $130. 3U Audio's SDCs are also a bit under $200, and Microphone-Parts sells what appear to be 3U SDC capsules but it's almost the same price to get a 3U Audio CM-100.
Yes, you can do it that way as well. There are some interesting candidates in your list that I would like to test.

Last edited:
You change pattern response by doing that. Not necessary either. By turning the tuning disk at the back of the capsule counter clockwise you smooth out the HF response. Do it in tiny steps, not whole lot of turning necessary. Mark the starting position.

Preferably use REW. No calibration needed, just starting point to know where you are heading. Place the mic on a stand, dont move it, just remove and reattach the capsule before and after tuning steps.

Maybe use something like ecm8000 as a
reference, just to get a sense of ballpark. Or any other mic you are familiar with.

Last edited:
You change pattern response by doing that. Not necessary either. By turning the tuning disk at the back of the capsule counter clockwise you smooth out the HF response. Do it in tiny steps, not whole lot of turning necessary. Mark the starting position.

Preferably use REW. No calibration needed, just starting point to know where you are heading. Place the mic on a stand, dont move it, just remove and reattach the capsule before and after tuning steps.

Maybe use something like ecm8000 as a
reference, just to get a sense of ballpark. Or any other mic you are familiar with.
I'm talking about the metal multi-hole disc underneath the mesh on the front of the capsule. Mesh -> foam disc -> metal disc with holes -> diaphragm. Has to be removed with great care so one edge doesn't drop down and contact the diaphragm.

Sometimes called 'phase plates', they extend the top response a bit at the expense of some raggedness in the sound. The little Primo EM50 (Nakamichi CP3 'Pinpoint' Omni) also has these; I remove them too.

Attachments

• DSCN0846.JPG
    DSCN0846.JPG
    250.9 KB · Views: 34
Sure, but notice the area it covers. Removing it affects polar response as well, especially 0° vs 45° angle of incidence.

I'll take increased directionality at high frequencies over ragged response any day; besides the effects are only at quite high frequencies.

Latest posts

Back