Why does my 1073 EQ perform "better" than the Original?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krabbencutter

I've compared my 1073 EQ against several Software versions and noticed that my Low Shelf has around 6dB more gain. The Shelving EQ in the 1073 is basically a baxandall circuit with some tweaks and here's the schematic of my build: Nyan-1073-EQ/Nyan1073_Main.pdf at master · ravettel/Nyan-1073-EQ The Software versions I've compared against are the UAD 1073 (which is officially endorsed by AMS Neve), Softube British Class A & Lindell 80 Series. As you can see in the picture they all perform roughly the same, so I'm pretty confident that an original 1073 would show the same behaviour.
There's several revisions of the original 1073 schematics floating around and some of them have 6k8 resistors for the low shelf whereas others have 6k2 resistors. In practice those make only a very small difference to the overall gain, so my guess is that the cause for the reduced low shelf gain is somewhere else in the circuit. Does someone have a better understanding of the actual 1073 circuitry and could shed some light on this? :)

Attachments

• 1073_lowshelf.png
    1073_lowshelf.png
    120.8 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back