why don't we make a SSL channel compressor clone?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On our mix n' match, cutdown 4000E, had a mix of 1537 and 2151. They sounded remarkably similar. I would say that the 2151 was a tad smoother, and the 1537 a smidgeon punchier. But that was at least 3 years ago . . .

If someone did get this together, I wouldn't give a monkeys WHICH vca they used. I would love a rack of, say, 8 or 12 of them. Maybe miss out the expander/gate. Great though they are, this can be done digitally as far as I am concerned. - Put them on too if you like! I really don't care. But, please just do it!

I am sure that the AD536J has a lot to do with the sound too, but maybe a 2252 is a better idea, as they are a teeny bit easier to find . . . .

As to slagging off the auto gain make-up, well . . . . You could always leave that bit out too . . .. I won't be doing so personally . . . that's WHY it's so useful. I haven't tried the API 200 series comp, but I believe that it is the same kinda deal.

ANdy-"I'll-have-yours-if-you-don't-like-'em"-P

awesome, thanks for all that.  i agree, it would help tremendously to have one in hand and do some poking around.  That schematic doesn't cover EVERYTHING, at least I don't think.  I think it assumes a few things, such as how the audio is input to the sidechain.  I doesn't show the feedforward connection.  It just shows "sidechain input".  I unfortunately don't have one, does anyone have a temporary donor to lend someone to do the poking around and documentation verifying?  Does it even need to be fully functional, or would you just need to verify component values, placement, the correctness of the schematic and a netlist that tells more than the schematic does?  It seems like you could do that with a broken unit, as long as all the parts are stock and still there at least.

On our 4000E, the sidechain could be selected either from channel, or tape return, allowing other sources to affect the vca. (Awesome stuff for me. Suck the leading edge out of a bassline by patching the kickdrum to the tape return, for example). maybe that's why the schemo is vague?

anyone played with the danfeld channel dynanics?

http://www.danfield-audio.com/main_products/audio_prod_dynamics1.html

gotta be a close relation too . . . .

Yeah that is pretty awesome.  thats why i loved using an ssl console.  you don't really NEED any outboard.  just the console and its patchbay.  I figured all those numbered dots on the schem were connector pins for console uses, so i guess that makes sense.  We just split the input signal to the VCA and the S/C and there ya go!  Those danfield boxes look pretty much exactly it.  BUT! do they sound like it?

Phishman

. . .. I never ever said that I didn't need any more outboard! I likes these puppies AS WELL as the on-board dynamics

I don't particularly care if they sound anything like the originals. Just as long as they do a similar gain-tastic job. . . . . pach 'em in and wind it up. 4000, 9000, whatever, ~I'll take whatever I can get!

OH i understand.  I feel the same way.  I was just saying how I felt about em!  haha, they're quite the utility, but a little (read A LOT!!!) of other outboard is always welcome! 

Yeah, I was thinking about this earlier.... about not copying everything so that they sound just like them, but copying the feature set so that it DOES the same thing, with a slightly "newer" or transparent or whatever sound than the original.  Like reading all the THAT's design notes, and piecing a dynamics section that has all the same features.  Like use the equivalent time constants for the 2 attack modes, same for release, same ratios setup, auto makeup gain, range on the gate, etc.... Just starting with what functions you want it to do and using the 4301 with some other various circuitry to realize the general idea of the channel dynamics section.  That would probably be WAY easier, just not as close sonically, but how far away?  Would it be worth the less hassle?  I guess there's only one way to find out...

phishman13 said:
I know I saw Jakob post either here or elsewhere that the ad536 had a lot to do with it.  The source I found will ship worldwide for the same price, you just have to buy 10 (group buy?)  I'm willing to pay $12 for them (and that includes shipping).

Why bother? Digi-Key has them in stock for that price @qty 1, even in TO-100 can if that tickles your fancy.

JDB.
[or is DK the source you were referring to?]

No, it wasn't.  I know digikey easily ships to the US, of course, but haven't checked their international shipping availability and pricing since I won't probably ever need to.  And you have to pay shipping above that price, which if i order a bunch of other stuff, becomes negligible for this purpose.  The other source is a standard for everyone across the globe (not considering exchange rates), shipped to US prices equal shipped to europe, asia, africa, etc... so it would be good for all as opposed to good for me.  Its the same source mentioned in the SSL9K 2009 thread where we got the MAT02's.

I'm an eagle scout, so I guess I'm just following the motto, "Always be prepared."  Options help me do that!  :p

I bought a compressor card sometime ago from a member here. Plan was to rack it up but I was thinking about making a pcb for it as well.
Those compressors are very nice imo, too bad the 'compression' control tends to make things "louder" (peak, not average) which is hard to compare, but not too much to complain about.
It's probably the only compressor that I can stand on separate close mic'ed drums.
Due to free-time restrictions, I don't see myself designing a pcb for it too soon, besides I've no experience with double sided boards, I'm sure this one is basically impossible on a single sided pcb.
But I'd be glad to help, if someone would take the initiative, and provide pictures of the original pcb.

man, that would be a huge help!  if you have a scanner, i guess you could just scan both sides, that way we could get a good view of all the component values, traces, etc.  I personally don't know if I'd do much good with that info, since I don't really have a way to convert it to something useful.  But as far as checking that vs. the schematic, I can do.  Maybe someone else involved would know what to do with those types of pictures.

hi guys
i'm working my noobie ass on this pcb project, since the guy on the 2nd post

why is this not possible on a single side pcb?
yeah, there's a lot of connections on the quad-op but we can work it out someway,at least i think so..

noob question: in and out are unbalanced, right? is a good idea to use the input and output circuit of the gssl? (5534 and 5532)

do i need to make some adjustment to the circuit for the 2181?

You could use the in and out of the g-ssl i suppose.  you could use THAT line receiver and line output chips too.  kinda like the ssl9k balancer boards.  there are plenty of those simple circuits flying around if i remember.

a lot of info you might need is on THAT corp website.  Go check out their datasheets and design notes.  There is one about replacing 2151's with updated 2181's. 

I'm sure a lot of the extra circuitry like lighting leds and switching and etc involved with using this module inside a console constitutes a double sided pcb, and the small overall footprint.  If we spread out a bit to say fit a channel in a 1ru box, single sided might be doable. 

phishman13 said:
I know digikey easily ships to the US, of course, but haven't checked their international shipping availability and pricing since I won't probably ever need to.

They ship internationally. Shipping to Europe is free for orders over 65EUR, similar arrangements are available for other regions.

IMHO if at all possible it's best to minimize the number of different places where parts have to come from.

JD 'logistics' B.

strangeandbouncy said:
   anyone played with the danfeld channel dynanics?
   http://www.danfield-audio.com/main_products/audio_prod_dynamics1.html
 gotta be a close relation too . . . .

There is - I don't know what it has developed into, but originally they were very much like the 4000 channel dynamics mounted with SSM 2141/2142 balanced in&out circuits.

Very usable for drums and the gate/expander works very well too (goes for both Danfield and the "real" one)

If anyone considers making a layout, please make it API- or GDIY- rack compatible

Jakob E.

well thats rather convenient of digikey then.  i guess i've never ordered an order large enough for free shipping. 

I don't know much about designing a 500 series modules, fitting all the controls on the panel, etc.  So I'll leave that up to someone else, It'll be way better that way.  I might play around with a 1ru layout instead since I know I can do that.  I don't have a 500 rack, and I don't really mind the extra space.

Click on the "Add Part" symbol look under the "supply" library and select a ground icon that best suits you.

As for the pot, the standard eagle libraries don't have a suitable footprint you would need to make your own library or ask if someone has it already.

check the cadsoft download site they usually have libraries that users have made.

-Casey

Latest posts

Back