Wires...Interesting facts...

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it's better to just listem to the music. If you have decent equipment there is no reason to be obsessive about wires and stuff like that.

Unless you are a classical music fan and then all bets are off. :wink:

It can be fairly easily shown that wires cannot carry signal accurately. It can also be shown that it's impossible for a digital recorder to record music accurately, and equally impossible for an analog recorder to do so. Not that it matters, since it's impossible for a microphone to generate the signal properly to begin with, and equally impossible for a speaker to reproduce it properly. For that matter, it's also impossible to tune a guitar properly. (For that one, I can vouch.)

So? So enjoy the music.

Peace,
Paul

[quote author="pstamler"]It can be fairly easily shown that wires cannot carry signal accurately. It can also be shown that it's impossible for a digital recorder to record music accurately, and equally impossible for an analog recorder to do so. Not that it matters, since it's impossible for a microphone to generate the signal properly to begin with, and equally impossible for a speaker to reproduce it properly. For that matter, it's also impossible to tune a guitar properly. (For that one, I can vouch.)

So? So enjoy the music.

Peace,
Paul[/quote]
true true even the human ear doesn't reproduce efficently I recall fletcher munsen(sp)proving that. But in reality good wire will do along side a decent system and your good to go. I once heard wire that cost 6000.00 for a pair of speaker wire. Was it really that much better not really. most people forget that its not what we record to or with but what we actually record. Good songs and lyrics will sell regardless of how it was recorded.

OK, so try to "zero out" the STUFF in the signal chain. For speaker wires, I suggest some FAT extension cords from Home Depot (ie, 16 or 14 guage..and slice off the "Edison" plugs on each end), or wind your own...

Take a a pair of #12 stranded THHN conductors, chuck them into a vise at one end, and an electric drill (just to make this "magic"...it needs to be a rechargeable drill since an AC-mains-powered drill will distort the copper molecules.....NOT!!!).

Sadly, this project relies on FACTS not myth. Fat, stranded wires provide a low resistance (and hence, impedance) in the path to the speaker.

BTW, if anyone wants to send me a few thousand dollars extra, I'll include little devices (made from virgin/old-growth trees) that stand the conductors off of your floor. Ohhh...maybe GLASS is better. No?? OK Teflon.

I'll tell you they make everything sound better, and you WILL believe it since you sent me so much money.

Bri

That article had me laughing and then damn near crying.

might manifest as a grainy sonic signature
because the copper has a higher crystal count.. :green:

oh boy..

strand jumping.. another chuckle.

:green:

One does so wish for some truly quantitative estimates of these putative effects.

I was frankly shocked that after all of the mechanical magnetic stuff he lulled himself into complacency about an isolated current-carrying conductor! What about the Earth's field---and worse, other static fields in the vicinity from transducer magnets, etc.? The mind reels...

I can see a whole mini-industry springing up in which the audio consultant, after his survey with the magnetometer, routes crucial cables and repositions equipment based on the local magnetic field:

"Sir/Madam, I hope you didn't get too attached to the view of the lake from your listening position over here. I'm afraid we're going to have to change all that, and rotate this arrangement by about 63.4 degrees..." :razz:

It's easy to inject some bad science into an article filled with real facts and formulae. Here are two really bad leaps that I spotted:

Ready for a stunning revelation? The COLOR of the PVC will affect the dielectric coefficient! Black colored PVC is worse than white colored!
When you stop to think about it, the addition of coloring agents to any pure plastic will tend to cause the dielectric properties to degrade, as the plastics purity has been compromised and altered.

It is probably correct that black will have a higher k value than white PVC. To what degree, I don't know. To say that "purity" has anything to do with it is idiotic. Audiophools are really big on the "purity" concept it seems. The reason that black coloring increases the k value is because it is made with carbon, which of course is fairly conductive. Suppose that you were adding PTFE or PE to the PVC, would the "dielectric properties degrade"? So any impurity is bad? As a chemical engineer, I can also state with confidence that there is no such thing as a "pure" polymer that you can buy today. It's a dog's-breakfast of chemicals to say the least.

Once again, the difference in the size and number of crystal domains is easily seen.

The effect of the signal having to jump many more crystal boundaries would not necessarily show up as a change in the DCR, or even the AC impedance, but might manifest as a grainy sonic signature, one that would be the difference between a completely silent and clear backdrop for the music, and one that was not as clearly defined and obvious.

Talk about bad conclusions. I can't say if he is right or wrong, but what a bullshit argument. He proves that different types of copper have different size crystaline regions, period. He offers no science to back up how the crystal structure effects the sound, and even reminds us that the effects are difficult to measure with test equipment. This is the equivalent of discussing the chemical and physical differences between natural and synthetic fibers, and then making the statement that music sounds better when you are wearing natural fibers (which should be obvious from the SEM images). Funny how grain boundaries make the sound "grainy", huh?

-Chris

Veering off topic: I notice one guy he references about impedance matching has the "amplification component" Best Product of the Year award from Stereophile, with his DarTZeel NHB-108 Model One power amp.

I can't help but giggle when I see that name since it is close to an anagram of one of the superhuman senses of Joe, the automaton in the hilarious old sci fi story by "Lewis Padgett" (Kuttner and Moore), The Proud Robot---namely its tarzeel :green:

At least Hervé Delétraz has a sense of humor (maybe he even knows that story) for the front panel sports a goofy face-like arrangement of big indicator lamps and central pushbutton switch, labelled Left Eye, Right Eye, and Power Nose :razz:

But then what do you want for a trifling $18,181---probably barely pays for the "... six transistors per polarity side from input to output, and only a single pair of bipolar output transistors per channel."

So, my second post in this great board is a story I experienced some years ago.

I needed some cables for my new loudspeakers. So I went to the nearest HiFI-shop. The shop called itself "hi-end", but I didn't mind the title, just wanted to have two cables ASAP.

After a long consultation that I didn't want, the shop assistant recommended a pair of whatever-he-called-them-hi-end-stuff. I just thought "OK, boy you've won" and wanted to put the 20 bucks on the counter.
As I pulled out my wallet the shop assistant said "But you know, HOW to connect them?!"

I gave him a confused look. :?
Me: "Yes, of course: phase to the correct phase and that's it"

shop assistant: "NO, NO, NO. You have to mind the DIRECTION of the cables"

Me: :shock:

shop assistant: "Yes! the cable was drawn in a certain DIRECTION, and so you have to connect it that way beacause the electrons flow better this way..."

I left the shop at once head shaking and took a phone wire to hook up the speakers. Still sounds fine...

It still makes me wonder if the things we like about a specific sound are truly of the sound itself or of all the associated component's shortcomings..

We tend to like the "discrete" opamp though it has obvious design issues that most purists attempt to eradicate in system design.. its usually slower, usually has many excessive lead lengths leading to capacitance issues, devices tend to have varying tempcos and can require extensive matching.. and so forth.. yet the IC is nothing but a smaller version of this, usually faster, shorter traces, all transistors are on the same die made by the same machine and are in most reasonable terms "matched"..

but we hate on them all day long.. because they don't sound the same.

so how can something that was designed as something "better" be that much worse? maybe they are "better" but what we tend to like about the discrete opamp are the effects of it's shortcomings..?

so who's to say that the same isn't true for everything else that's associated with it?

who can claim valves to be "pure" in reality? but they DO sound better

> Is everything really SO bad?...

Yes.

Screw the wires: speakers and rooms REALLY SUCK.

Ohhhhhhhh, the agony!!!

I cannot stop wondering if people originating articles like that have stopped listening and enjoying music altogether? In my garage I often listen to music using a $99 boombox and I enjoy it immensly.
It is really easy to capture and enjoy the essence of a performance even at low fidelity. It is saddening to see when the focus on quality becomes a debilitating obsession. It sucks the fun out of music.

[quote author="tk@halmi"]I often listen to music using a $99 boombox and I enjoy it immensly.[/quote]

Same here, we have a 200 ? Sony micro-stereo system in our living room, and it has a nice sound enough to enjoy the music. Homogenizes everything, bad records don't sound as bad and so on.

Actually, I have no trouble listening to good music on 30? boom box. But I couldn't stand listening to bad music on a 30,000? system. :wink:

:grin:
thanx guys for your funny comments
It's the first time I meet this audiofile shit. I was so surprised that I didn't even know how to react...
But it was definately very funny to read the article. :razz:

[quote author="PRR"]> Is everything really SO bad?...

Yes.

Screw the wires: speakers and rooms REALLY SUCK.[/quote]

As I may have mentioned before, when people attempt to engage in discussions of cable effects Floyd Toole, ever the diplomat, says "I'm concerned with the ~3dB effects right now."

Back