Wiring console inserts into patchbay

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamnotacowboy

I'll go ahead and apologize for a post that's probably been discussed before. I DID search to find an answer first, but I did not. I'm sure it's my fault. Onto my issue.

So I'm wiring a patchbay and am struggling with the console inserts. I'm wiring a Soundcraft Ghost with a Redco R196-D25PG TT/DB25. The connection being used is DB25 to TRS. When a cable is inserted into the insert of the console, the signal is interrupted. At the console, I used a Y cable to split for send and return to go to the normalled patchbay. This should complete the loop and allow single to continue through the console's signal flow. I can't get get that to work. I haven't done this in 20 years, so I assume I'm screwing something up. I THINK it's something to do with a balanced/unbalanced cable scenario. The cable going into the patchbay is balanced, but at the console, I'm using a splitter, thus making it unbalanced. Just hoping for a little help. I apologize for my ignorance. I've been doing this for a fairly long time, and I my failure is getting pretty annoying. Just trying to get this console and patchbay wired, so I can use my 2" 24 track. I should just sell everything. Ugh.

Thanks for any assistance, and I apologize for my ignorance.

The Y cable is the problem.

I think you could do an insert cable hard wired to the normalled patchbay.

Basically extending the console insert design to the patchbay. Still using insert cables to effects etc at the PB

I have a similar Redco patchbay (bantam TRS) as part of my console setup. I connect this patchbay to my converter ins and outs and outboard compressors and eq. When I built my console I added unbalanced inserts on the channel strips (for use with a TRS jack). I purchased a second patchbay for the inserts (an inexpensive 48 way 1/4" patchbay). I then made Y-cables for connection to this second patchbay that terminate in two TS jacks from the TRS. I then made patch cables for connection between the two patch bays (TS 1/4" to TRS bantam). I just cut some long bantam cables in half and added the 1/4" TS tying the shield and 0V together.

The Y cable is the problem.

I think you could do an insert cable hard wired to the normalled patchbay.

Basically extending the console insert design to the patchbay. Still using insert cables to effects etc at the PB
I don’t think I’m following. Without the Y cable, I would only use the single TRS line to the patchbay to only the in or out row? I’m not understanding something. Can you elaborate? In case it wasn’t clear, the insert is a single 1/4” connector.

You are using a 1/4” connector ( TRS ) to move an insert to a patch-bay.

Now your patch-bay should act as a switch ; the signal is coming from the console is returned. ( tip and ring connected )

When inserting a Y-cable , opening the switch and moving the signal to and from the outboard-gear...

It turns out I knew what I was doing all along. The only way I was being dumb was not testing the Y cable. I ordered some cheap y cables in bulk, but I didn’t consider that they could ALL be bad. I tested with a cable I knew was good, and everything came to life. Ugh. Guess I’ll do what I should have in the beginning and build my own cables. I did regain a little confidence though. Whew.

Latest posts

Back