Wooden Microphone Boxes

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wooden boxes and pelican/ABS cases are fine, but they can take up a lot of room when you have a handful of mics stacked on a shelf.

You could use an Electronic Dry Cabinet (like the Ruggard EDC-80L,) an electronically controlled dehumidifying system that minimizes moisture and protects sensitive electronic equipment from moisture, dust, dirt, and other calamities. You can put all sorts of jazz in them, including guns, microphones, cameras and lenses, moisture sensitive electronics, and so forth.

My wife sews thick, soft lint-free felt-like fabric tubes to protect my microphones, camera lenses, and other delicate equipment from scratches, dings, shock, etc.. when not in use. I store the sleeved gear in appropriate-size plastic storage tubs in a dry storage room, packing some items with silica gel desiccant.

Perhaps you could use something like this for your valuable mic collection. Maybe. James

mic tubes IMG_0015.JPG
ruggard_edc_80l_.jpg

I believe DIY or a repurpose of vintage wooden boxes would be the only options left.... that is if you want reasonable reasonable price

My ideal solution (which I haven't actually found yet) would be some sort of small waterproof container (material doesn't matter much) that stacks easily, and doesn't weigh much or take up more room than necessary. Wooden boxes and pelican/ABS cases are fine, but they can take up a lot of room when you have a handful of mics stacked on a shelf. A zip-lock bag would be fine, aside from the lack of stack-ability. The little case that Oktava MK-012's came in back in the '90's were a nice size (but the latch was a little cheesy and they weren't water-tight).

Some food storage containers?

81kqj04Z2PL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Vtopmart 4 Piece Black Plastic Food Storage

I believe DIY or a repurpose of vintage wooden boxes would be the only options left.... that is if you want reasonable reasonable price

You give up too easily, old man! :)

There are LOTS of other ideas that can fill the bill. He could buy plastic "Dry Boxes" intended for ammunition and other purposes and line it with foam or padded fabric dividers, like these I made for camera and radio equipment on the go. The boxes I use have silicone seals in the lids that keep moisture out. The boxes are cheap, and you can buy affordable padded dividers on eBay and elsewhere, or have them made by a talented lovely wife, like mine!

Also, there are all sorts of plastic storage containers that can do the job - many of which have moisture seals and can stack - it is just a matter of looking until you discover what you really like. There is a big market for this sort of thing.

James

ammo box go bag outside 1 IMG_7704.jpgammo can go bag inside 2 IMG_7705.jpgbig ammo box c cr sm P1010016.JPGP1010001.JPGP1010009.JPGP1010010.JPGP1010024.JPG

Back