Wooden Microphone Boxes

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wooden boxes and pelican/ABS cases are fine, but they can take up a lot of room when you have a handful of mics stacked on a shelf.

You could use an Electronic Dry Cabinet (like the Ruggard EDC-80L,) an electronically controlled dehumidifying system that minimizes moisture and protects sensitive electronic equipment from moisture, dust, dirt, and other calamities. You can put all sorts of jazz in them, including guns, microphones, cameras and lenses, moisture sensitive electronics, and so forth.

My wife sews thick, soft lint-free felt-like fabric tubes to protect my microphones, camera lenses, and other delicate equipment from scratches, dings, shock, etc.. when not in use. I store the sleeved gear in appropriate-size plastic storage tubs in a dry storage room, packing some items with silica gel desiccant.

Perhaps you could use something like this for your valuable mic collection. Maybe. James

mic tubes IMG_0015.JPG
ruggard_edc_80l_.jpg

My ideal solution (which I haven't actually found yet) would be some sort of small waterproof container (material doesn't matter much) that stacks easily, and doesn't weigh much or take up more room than necessary. Wooden boxes and pelican/ABS cases are fine, but they can take up a lot of room when you have a handful of mics stacked on a shelf. A zip-lock bag would be fine, aside from the lack of stack-ability. The little case that Oktava MK-012's came in back in the '90's were a nice size (but the latch was a little cheesy and they weren't water-tight).

Some food storage containers?

81kqj04Z2PL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Vtopmart 4 Piece Black Plastic Food Storage

I believe DIY or a repurpose of vintage wooden boxes would be the only options left.... that is if you want reasonable reasonable price

You give up too easily, old man! :)

There are LOTS of other ideas that can fill the bill. He could buy plastic "Dry Boxes" intended for ammunition and other purposes and line it with foam or padded fabric dividers, like these I made for camera and radio equipment on the go. The boxes I use have silicone seals in the lids that keep moisture out. The boxes are cheap, and you can buy affordable padded dividers on eBay and elsewhere, or have them made by a talented lovely wife, like mine!

Also, there are all sorts of plastic storage containers that can do the job - many of which have moisture seals and can stack - it is just a matter of looking until you discover what you really like. There is a big market for this sort of thing.

James

ammo box go bag outside 1 IMG_7704.jpgammo can go bag inside 2 IMG_7705.jpgbig ammo box c cr sm P1010016.JPGP1010001.JPGP1010009.JPGP1010010.JPGP1010024.JPG

Costco stores in the US had these for $20. Lid gaskets, but no pressure relief like the good Pelican cases have, so if you close them in the mountains and then drive down to the coast you may have trouble getting them open again.
Can also get them on Amazon and eBay. Greenmade Store-All 4 pack.
1729178673912.png

Hello all,

I thought there was a talk about wooden boxes for microphones some time back ... but can really find anything other than wine boxes.

I'm looking for some nice boxes for a few microphones, specifically a C-12, 251, and CMV 563. I would like to find some molded/sized appropriately for each mic and don't want to spend stupid money if I can help it.

Any good recommendations?

Thank you,
Michael
Let me check the shop but we might have some spare boxes that are dinged up/B-stock but usable. They might be a bit tight for the C12 because of the length, but should fit a 251 decently.

I also have some old V1 mono boxes that you could strip the foam out of and put new foam in. That would PROBABLY fit the C12 and/or the CMV 563 but don't quote me on that, i'd have to get measurements.

You can email me at [email protected] and i'll try to help you out.

RE: foam - CNC-cut or watercut foam is not cheap. Might be best to just use the pick-n-pluck, but as others have stated - it can shed, so keep the mics in a plastic bag.

The other alternative - harbor freight has some pelican-style cases with foam that are fairly inexpensive.

Back