woodworking, local or online

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pucho812

Looking for a spot that make a wood flat pack for a speaker cabinet.
A flat pack is where you get sent wood cut to shape and size but not assembled to make it easier to ship.
If anyone knows of a spot local to Southern California would be awesome, I assume you can find a shop online to do this but not sure what to search for.

I recall once walking around inside the Bozak speaker factory back in the 70s. They were using flatpack boxes for one of their cheap entry level speakers. I have no idea where they sourced them. At Peavey we had a huge wood shop.

JR

I recall once walking around inside the Bozak speaker factory back in the 70s. They were using flatpack boxes for one of their cheap entry level speakers. I have no idea where they sourced them. At Peavey we had a huge wood shop.

JR
Flat pack means they cut the pieces out and ship them as pieces vs as an assembled cabinet. I am sure you know that but just repeating it.

I like to shop local for those kinda things, as local as possible, so I can go there, with my plans explain a bit and pick it up when it's ready.
Any woodshop, furniture / cabinet maker will do this for you.
Check the yellowpages to see who is in your area.

the boxes I saw at Bozak kind of folded up into finished box, like the outside veneer(?) was connected between different faces.

Perhaps there is a different name for that configuration.

JR

the boxes I saw at Bozak kind of folded up into finished box, like the outside veneer(?) was connected between different faces.

Perhaps there is a different name for that configuration.

JR
Interesting. Yeah flat pack usually means they ship you all the pieces and you assemble them into a finished cabinet that you then stain or cover or paint.

What quantities?

I've used West Hills Wood before. Harold is a nice guy, one man shop, does everything by hand. Probably best if you could just go see him in person and explain what you want.

If you need CNC precision there was a place in NoHo I've talked to but haven't used yet. Let me know and can go through my notes to find the info.

There are also wood suppliers that will cut to dimension if you buy from them. That would work if you just needed something like a 4x8 plywood cut to spec. Anderson plywood is one such place.

What quantities?

I've used West Hills Wood before. Harold is a nice guy, one man shop, does everything by hand. Probably best if you could just go see him in person and explain what you want.

If you need CNC precision there was a place in NoHo I've talked to but haven't used yet. Let me know and can go through my notes to find the info.

There are also wood suppliers that will cut to dimension if you buy from them. That would work if you just needed something like a 4x8 plywood cut to spec. Anderson plywood is one such place.
oh we are talking like a test pair, cnc would be great as they would be exact. Yes wood suppliers can cut you a piece to size, iff the size is square or rectangle. But the innards would be a bit more out of their realm in the wood supply.

When I talked to the CNC place it wasn't very cost effective for small quantities, too much setup costs.

West Hills Wood would be better for a one off. My amp project came out really good. I just gave him the chassis and a description and he figured out the rest. Would come down to if you are ok without CNC.

oh we are talking like a test pair, cnc would be great as they would be exact. Yes wood suppliers can cut you a piece to size, iff the size is square or rectangle. But the innards would be a bit more out of their realm in the wood supply.

A skilled woodworker can cut you anything with great precision without the use of a CNC.

This was cut by my local guy and I took it home as a flatpack, the frontpanel sits at an angle for phase correction purposes.
Just find a skillfull guy who actually cares for quality and not just volume.DSCF3356.JPG

A skilled woodworker can cut you anything with great precision without the use of a CNC.

This was cut by my local guy and I took it home as a flatpack, the frontpanel sits at an angle for phase correction purposes.
Just find a skillfull guy who actually cares for quality and not just volume.View attachment 90511
Does that top edge twist downwards from front to back? Or is that lens distortion?

Neat trick, if done by your woodworker.

I think I see what you mean,... no that would be lens distortion, the angled cuts of the sidepanels are straight front to back.

I think he just used a router there...

The design was done by Klaré;
https://klare.store/over.htmA great place to visit for parts, tubes, drivers and anything audio.

Last edited:
Sent files to send and cut but the files were rejected. the DXF files were done in such a way they can't process them.

Hmmmm..... I got some local options I may hit up.

Latest posts

Back