Wrecked Klon Gain Pot

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohthepain

So I was building a Klon kit with my daughter today. She gigs all over town and sells out really fast, and is starting to get into electric. Very fun for me!

Anyway, we got the thing built and got it working. But I think we wrecked the gain pot. It was working fine for about half an hour after finishing the build. Then the gain dropped out and we found that the gain would pop in and out at certain settings. I think maybe from pressing on it too hard, basically tightening the nut after forgetting to break off the tab or maybe from not pushing it in all the way before soldering. The case looked quite torqued when we pulled it out and resoldered it to get the board to lie flat.

I couldn't figure out what part to get. 100K dual linear pot, stereo. Is there anything else I need to know?

Is this the part? Sorry the site is in Swedish. Köp Pot 100kohm lin PCB stereo (B100K) till rätt pris @ Electrokit

It's this kit: Wish | Shop and Save

Last edited:
I think maybe from pressing on it too hard, basically tightening the nut after forgetting to break off the tab or maybe from not pushing it in all the way before soldering.

It could have been that. Sometimes excessive heat while soldering also damages some sensitive pots.

I couldn't figure out what part to get. 100K dual linear pot, stereo. Is there anything else I need to know?

It's a B100K dual gang pot, B means it's a Linear Pot
So 100K Linear Dual gang.

By the link for the kit you posted it seems it's an Alpha branded pot,
you can buy Alpha pots here, just check the correct size and then the mouting type:
https://www.banzaimusic.com/Alpha/
I think it's a 9mm pot, but you should confirm this, you nee it to had angled pcb pins:
https://www.banzaimusic.com/Alpha-9mm/

If you have problems in finding the correct Pot, then I would contact the seller of the Kit and ask to buy just a replacement pot from him

Latest posts

Back