• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB - 12AX7 or 12AY7 to upgrade SCT700 Microphone

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rixsta

Hi
Just wondering if anyone has one of the mentioned valves or perhaps one of each they can sell me, im in the UK
also if anyone has any parts that can be used to upgrade the mic, capacitors etc 
Please do let us know

Thanks a lot
Riki

The AY7 is normally more useful in mics than the AX7. 

To make any significant improvement you will need to do a bit more than change the valve.  From what I remember the valves are soldered in when I used one as a doner for an upgrade.   

The SCT700 was used as a doner for the MK7 kit that MAx kircher did.    It turns it into something a closer to a U47.  But you pretty much only wind up using the body of the mic and maybe the cable.  Well the case it comes in is useful too.

You might be able to use it for some of the kits that are abvailable in the WHite Market too

Rob Flinn said:
The AY7 is normally more useful in mics than the AX7. 

To make any significant improvement you will need to do a bit more than change the valve.  From what I remember the valves are soldered in when I used one as a doner for an upgrade.   

The SCT700 was used as a doner for the MK7 kit that MAx kircher did.    It turns it into something a closer to a U47.  But you pretty much only wind up using the body of the mic and maybe the cable.  Well the case it comes in is useful too.

You might be able to use it for some of the kits that are abvailable in the WHite Market too

Thankyou :)
I will most likely upgrade the whole thing to a MK7 one day when I can afford it as Ive lusted over a mike like that for a while, MK47 should fit too I guess and or MKU47

Cheers

ruffrecords said:
I use lots of 12AX7 in my tube mic pres, I have tested loads of them and the best, most consistent I have found is the Sovtek 12AX7 WA. Very low microphonics and consistently low noise.

Available from HotRoX in Nottingham:

http://www.hotroxuk.com/sovtek-12ax7wa-ecc83-valve-standard-4838.html

or Karltone:

http://www.karltone.co.uk/sovtek-12ax7wa-61-p.asp

and many other places.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks a lot Ian
I may get one of those and a 12AY7 :)  I suppose I can sell the other one on :) 

Back