• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Wanted WTB - Octal Tube Sockets, 1" Under Chassis Mount, Quartet

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ron_swanson

Hello,

I'm looking for a quartet of quality octal tube sockets that will fit a 1" under chassis mounting hole. Cinch, Amphenol, ?, etc. I recently bought a set of unknowns off Ebay that quickly fell apart right out of the shipping box.

Unfortunately, because of chassis space / construction restrictions, I'm unable to use sockets with a larger chassis hole diameter than 1" or mount above chassis.

Thanks in advance.

I've used sockets from
https://www.amplifiedparts.com/products/tube_accessoriesor could try
https://www.amplifiedparts.com/products/tube_accessories
I think they are in same area iirc and have ebay stores too...
Hi scott2000,

I am aware of Amplified Parts, thanks. Unfortunately, I don't see anything at Amplified Parts that will fill the bill. Nor has my searches on Ebay and other new and vintage parts sellers.

I need a socket that will fit in a 1" chassis hole, with mounting screw holes 1.5" ctr-to-ctr with a max width of 2". So far, I've been unable to find anything of quality that will work without having to consider making destructive modifications to the chassis which is not an option. I have height ( to ensure the tubes will fit within the enclosing cabinet ) and size / placement restrictions that is making identifying replacement sockets a PIA.

https://www.amplifiedparts.com/sites/default/files/associated_files/p-st8-600.png this part may work with 1/4" tall standoffs underneath the chassis.

What you want is the Bakelite or Mica part of an old Cinch 8AB, or 8AM respectively (made to mount in a one inch hole from the bottom but has 1 5/16" mounting hole centers); and you want the mounting bracket part of the Cinch 8EB, 8EM, or 8EC. The bracket is for a 1 1/2" mounting center but the connector portion is for a 1 1/8" hole. You may be able to mount a wafer type from the bottom - look for a Cinch 8W2 if you want 1 1/2" mounting centers.

If I bumble into anything other unhelpful info I will let you know. Oh - wait, there is a few drawers of sockets upstairs. Let me see what is here.

-Tony

I found years ago the quality of new octal sockets are terrible. Not sure if there are any better now.
I bought a bunch of Amphenol NOS on ebay that have been great. But they are for a 1.25" hole, more common.
I looked in my box of salvaged parts and the closest I found were Elco with 1.5" mounting holes but slightly over 1" hole, about 1 3/32"
Good luck finding some small enough. Ebay is probably your best bet

Attachments

• PXL_20230215_040859602.jpg
    PXL_20230215_040859602.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back