• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Group DIY and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Wanted WTB: Reticon SAD4096 BBD

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The similarly-styled DOD 670 flanger used the SAD512 (I’ve got one of those and had to replace its BBD once, too)

The 690 Chorus used the SAD1024

I lucked into an assortment of Reticon BBD chips - 1024s and a few different 512 variants. I can't decide if I should sell them (which seems wrong, since the prices they command are nuts) or keep them to repair and revive old effects!

I have a 690 chorus that needs a 1024 but haven't had time to work on it. I seen to recall it only uses one half of the IC.

I purchased some of the taplfo chips to prototype some effects with the 512s but again, no time!

Maybe they need a better home!

JT

I lucked into an assortment of Reticon BBD chips - 1024s and a few different 512 variants. I can't decide if I should sell them (which seems wrong, since the prices they command are nuts)
If it means anything, I looked for over two years for a SAD512D when the one in my DOD 670 flanger died, and ended up paying quite a bit for two of them (I have the second one tucked away in case it fails again).

I'd have been grateful if someone had sold one to me earlier, even if the price had been high. So I'm not sure selling them at market rate is really price-gouging... it's just getting what the market will bear for something that's become extremely rare (most likely the buyer will be grateful to get one at any price... kind of like a good mic-grade VF14M these days!)

OTOH, if it feels likely that you'll run across effects that need them for repair, it's worth keeping at least a few (you never know when you'll find one again).

OTOH, if it feels likely that you'll run across effects that need them for repair, it's worth keeping at least a few (you never know when you'll find one again).

I guess that's the problem being a the tech/junk collector type. I have piles and piles of stuff I'll never use before I die, but a lot of it I can't seem to part with! And I'm only 43!

I have quite a few 8 pin Reticon BBDs - I forget which part numbers, but 256 and 512 steps if I recall correctly. I probably only have three or four or the SAD1024. I also have one of those bizarre Panasonic BBDs with multiple taps, originally intended for reverb. Either way, that's enough that I could sell one or two and still keep a few for repairs. I also have an Moosapotamus ADA flanger board that I've never finished building. I suppose a smart move would be to get the DOD 690 and the flanger going so I can test my SAD1024s, populate them, and sell the extras after setting aside a spare.

I'm also not too precious about this stuff - if I can do a work-alike with the large number of smaller BBDs and sell the SAD1024s to people that really need them for valuable effects, it feels like the right choice; more classic gear can be saved! Isn't that what we all want?!

But I digress. Sorry for the distraction!

Jamie

I guess that's the problem being a the tech/junk collector type. I have piles and piles of stuff I'll never use before I die, but a lot of it I can't seem to part with! And I'm only 43!

I think that's a situation most of us run into.
I'm 41, but in the last 15 years I collected such a huge amount of stock of parts, that like you I realized I will never use 1/3 of it before I die. Realizing this I stopped buying excess stock of stuff that I think maybe one day "I will need it" and I slowly started getting rid of excess stuff and making that available for someone that might actually need that part at the present.

I also realized I will never be able to finish all the DIY projects I collected over the last 15 years, and chill out on starting a new project without having finished the last one.

The big risk with keeping stashes of parts (or anything!) is that whoever finds it when we're no longer here most likely won't understand its rarity or value and will just chuck it in the bin

These days I'm trying to clear out all the "projects" I've accumulated over the years. If I haven't converted those tube amps and BBDs into whiz bang devices by now I never will.

Getting older refines your discipline about accumulating JIC inventory. One thought that refines my thinking, is worrying about the poor soul who has to clean up the mess I leave behind. :unsure:

I have been trying to reduce the load for almost a decade now but still have a lot of work to do.

JR roadtrash2.JPG

Getting older refines your discipline about accumulating JIC inventory. One thought that refines my thinking, is worrying about the poor soul who has to clean up the mess I leave behind. :unsure:

I have been trying to reduce the load for almost a decade now but still have a lot of work to do.

JR View attachment 99526
Is that a Telex machine?

Is that a Telex machine?
No it was a DEC dot matrix printer, Decwriter LA34(?) A 7 wire dot matrix printer with a 300 baud acoustic modem hanging off the back.... It was a brick sh__ house, and still working when I retired it after a couple decades. That used an old school acoustic modem from back before the phone company allowed direct connections to phone lines. Those old modems accepted the phone handset with speakers and microphones to send and receiver (FSK?) digital encoded signals. IIRC that printer also had a parallel digital interface for printing ascii characters.

JR

No it was a DEC dot matrix printer, Decwriter LA34(?) A 7 wire dot matrix printer with a 300 baud acoustic modem hanging off the back.... It was a brick sh__ house, and still working when I retired it after a couple decades. That used an old school acoustic modem from back before the phone company allowed direct connections to phone lines. Those old modems accepted the phone handset with speakers and microphones to send and receiver (FSK?) digital encoded signals. IIRC that printer also had a parallel digital interface for printing ascii characters.

JR

LoL, I have a large-format HP inkjet darkening my basement. I just can't get rid of it! The goal was to set my daughter up with a touch screen/pen laptop (Lenovo yoga x1, also collecting dust) and a linux install to do digital artwork. Also hasn't happened yet. Glad so see you had the guts to move it along.

As for the people after us - I was well on my way to fully organizing my basement shop and a family friend passed away, leaving me piles of electronics parts, connectors, transformers, and heaven knows what else. The influx of new hardware has been so overwhelming that my overall organizational goals have been almost forgotten. I'm not really sure what to do other than maybe ask a friend to come over and provide moral support while I throw things away.

My grandfather was a machinist (and a packrat) and my uncle purchased his home and stuff (and he is a much worse packrat). When he passes I don't know what we're going to do. It's going to be awful.

Jamie

Latest posts

Back