XS902 - now with added "everything" PDF!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="JohnRoberts"]Averaging the result protects the stereo image, but it now has a different de-essing effect in stereo mode as mono..[/quote]
Are you sure? I would think a similar argument holds as the one for pan pot laws. Note that the procedure I described earlier produces not amplitude but power averaging, as the suggested interconnection on pin 6 of the THAT2252 works in the log domain.

In other words, if you have a pan pot which is -3dB down in the center position (constant power), the stereo arrangement I described will give the same CV output (and the same amount of de-essing) no matter what panning is used.

[quote author="JohnRoberts"]YMMV[/quote]
Amen to that.

JDB.
[panning, is that a word?]

Yes yes yessss!

-Count me IN!

I've dug up the rev3 PCB plots, but they don't have any component references on them. Give me a few days and I'll sort out the rest of the layout drawings and a BOM too.

I am a little frustrated because I know control voltage manipulations are not heavy lifting. Without specific feedback from my last suggestions (in May) I have nothing to add.

From memory I did try out your last suggestions but I still ended up with a noisy output. After that I was starting to get a bit disheartened by the stereo linking idea of this particular design, so I put it on hold.

Not that it really matters - if I wanted a stereo de-esser I probably should have built one from the ground up in the first place, and this one works fine on mono source material which I guess is where it's going to get the most use anyway.

[quote author="jdbakker"][quote author="JohnRoberts"]Averaging the result protects the stereo image, but it now has a different de-essing effect in stereo mode as mono..[/quote]
Are you sure? I would think a similar argument holds as the one for pan pot laws. Note that the procedure I described earlier produces not amplitude but power averaging, as the suggested interconnection on pin 6 of the THAT2252 works in the log domain.

In other words, if you have a pan pot which is -3dB down in the center position (constant power), the stereo arrangement I described will give the same CV output (and the same amount of de-essing) no matter what panning is used.

[quote author="JohnRoberts"]YMMV[/quote]
Amen to that.

JDB.
[panning, is that a word?][/quote]

I'm not sure what you're saying. The result is probably usable when panned near center since level in both channels will be similar, so when normalled together it wont make much difference.

In the more extreme case where the offending signal is hard panned full left or full right, there will be a dramatic difference when the two channels are normalled together at pin 6. Now the current from the hot side is split between two resistors.
----------
In the grand scheme of things, a perfect stereo link for a de-esser may not be worth the trouble. It is probably more appropriate to use de-essing on an insert point of the individual channels anyhow.

My design engineer side says just do this and it will work, but my one time recording side says why bother.

Sorry to yank your chain,,, A dual mono, or ave stereo link is completely usable.

JR

I'm verrrry interrested in a mono-version, as I'm not 100% happy with my current de-esser and this sounds like a nice little project :thumb:

:guinness: :guinness: :grin:

OK chaps, here it is. The "everything" PDF - PCB's, component placings, BOM, calibration steps, suggested front panel, the works.

http://www.mediafire.com/?3t11tv9yamu

Knock yerselves out :guinness:

Thanks! Excellent documentation.

Friendly suggestion - link to your PDF from an edited first post so your gift doesn't get lost in all the questions that will follow. Hopefully only kidding on that last bit...

Here we go again, another half baked, shoddy project :green:

Seriously though that is amazing work. The documentation is fantastic. Will you consider making pcbs available? I've never etched my own and perhaps this is the time to learn but time is short and my project list is long.

Thanks for giving this to the community, I've been following the design thread with great interest.

Cheers,
Ruairi

You're most welcome, chaps.

Regarding PCB's, I'm still undecided if I can afford to spend the time providing such a service. However, discussions are under way :wink: . That said, it should be relatively easy to do it yerselves using Press N Peel Blue - all my prototypes were done this way. From memory I think you can squeeze two channels, including the meters, on one sheet.

Oh, and as a side note, the schematics provided earlier on in the design thread are now well and truly out-of-date. The one in the pdf is THE one to use as it corrects a number of errors in the previous edition. I will be deleting the old ones fairly soon.

Hi Curtis,

if you're under pressure perhaps you could consider partnering with one of the trusted PCB providers here like Gustav or PeterC. This is not to automatically assume they'd be interested but as they are keeping many projects in constant supply it may suit all parties.

I could be alone but I'm happy to see partnerships such as that between Silent Arts and Analag where the designer receives some ongoing payment for his efforts.

As I mentioned above perhaps this is the time to make my first pcb.

Cheers,
Ruairi

Bumpety, bump... :wink:

I'm in for 2 pcb's right away...

Maybe you should post a feeler in the black market and a presentation of this project in the Lab...

[quote author="Curtis"]You're most welcome, chaps.

Regarding PCB's, I'm still undecided if I can afford to spend the time providing such a service. However, discussions are under way :wink: . [/quote]

MrZpliff,

let's not carried away, Curtis hasn't offered the option of making pcbs to anyone else yet. As can be seen from his post above he is considering his options. I merely suggested that he should considering partnering with one of our many trusted pcbs providers if time proves to be an issue for him.

Cheers,
Ruairi

I see there's no panic.. :grin:

It's just that this looks like a really nice little project that easily gets lost among all other projects.

anyway i can home-etch if necessary, but I'd gladly support anyone willing to run a batch of pcb's.

Hi guys,

I'm currently making inroads to having a short run of boards made up for those that want them, more details will follow in due course.

I have to make a couple of corrections to the pdf file which I will post shortly. Nothing too dramatic, and nothing that affects the PCB layout for those of you who may have already etched you own. Just some minor mix-ups on the schematic.

New version of "Everything" pdf:

http://www.mediafire.com/?mdj2zywxndk

Rev 3a - corrected polarity of C10 on main board component layout, corrected pin numbers of IC3 in schematic.

Hi all,

As mentioned here I'm guaging a feel for anyone interested in a set of professionally-made board sets for this project. Please wander over to the Black Market and register your interest if...errm interested!

Back