Yamaha acoustics

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tubetec

Ive always loved the sparkle and timbre of vintage yamaha acoustic guitars , been trying to lay my hands on one for ages ,
doesnt even have to be one of the higher end Nippon Gakki's to sound good ,
have a quick look at this clip and tell me it doesnt sound fantastic , of course Mike is a very tasty player too . Just missed one going for 100 euros

I have that with the Yamaha upright piano's... everytime I see one and play it, I want to take it home.

First instrument I bought was a Yamaha jazz bass (BBN4) (passive pickups), still have that one, many people have commented that it's such a sweet bass.

Yamaha is really good when it comes to acoustic instruments, I'd buy Yamaha any day.

Almost completely unrelated, Not long ago I bought my daughter's boyfriend a NEW Yamaha FG800 acoustic guitar on reverb and dang it was great right out of the box.
Of course I did some research into which crap $200+- guitar I would buy him for Christmas, but the sound and playability were remarkable. He played it every day for a couple years and now he has better!

Back about 1985, I was playing the acoustic guitars at a music store in another town. They had a beautiful transparent green Yamaha that was easily the best sounding guitar in the store, and much better than the two identical Yamaha models hanging next to it. I was totally dumbfounded; it had a laminated top and only cost $200... I can't explain how the magic got into that cheap plywood top guitar, but it was definitely there.

I think about that every now and then and still kick myself for not buying it.

I bought a Taiwan FG-150 in the early 80's at the Salvation Army for $40. It had a very narrow neck, so I made a new nut but still couldn't get an adequate string spacing. I traded it for a snow blower about 15 years ago, and sold that for $200 when I realized I could just plow the garage pad with the tractor. I don't miss the guitar - just wasn't right for me.

What are the hottest models from the Yamaha range? What to look for, which vintages, manufacturers and models are the best stuff? What would it cost?

I am very fond of the Yamaha brand, I collected old Yamaha toy keyboards of the PSS, PSR and VSS series for a while. ;)

Cool stuff, very noisy but also very inspiring. My favorites are PSS380, 390, 470 and 480, PSR36 is cool too. VSS30 and 200 are now priceless, I paid 20 euros for them in the 00 years. :geek:

Ive always loved the sparkle and timbre of vintage yamaha acoustic guitars , been trying to lay my hands on one for ages ,
doesnt even have to be one of the higher end Nippon Gakki's to sound good ,
have a quick look at this clip and tell me it doesnt sound fantastic , of course Mike is a very tasty player too . Just missed one going for 100 euros

Christ! That's my dad's guitar too!

My first six or so years are saturated with that sound with dad and mum playing and singing the lullabys along with it.

I would not say sparkle though. It's the most wooden earth guitar I've ever heard and played. Yes of course I played it. It's the first guitar I ever touched too. It's still good as new. Well, better. The wood has aged as you'd expect into "glass" and it sounds like the wood it always was but more solid.

Back