Youtube blocking ad blockers

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The top, as far as I remember, were Australian newspapers. As much as 250 trackers and 20 MB of ad content on a page that holds less than 100 kB of content...

So, got to watch a few videos since this morning and while pi-hole does block a few ads, some of them will slip through cause they're served by youtube...

So wait and see, if I have to stop watching youtube, so be it.

Thomas

Louis Rosmann rants about NetFlix and other DRM content and while doing so proves that adblockers aren't going away:

I know most folks won't give a flying flip, but there are several guys that post (nearly) daily videos I enjoy. The History Guy, Professor of Rock, Steve Lehtos Law, Louis Rossmann and a few I don't currently recall. I use uBlock Origin to ensure I can watch the videos without popup ads and interruptions. Many folks, including me, are starting to see a popup from Youtube complaining about my ad blocker. So far, I can just click and close the popup.

First of all, the FBI recommends everyone use an ad blocker:

https://www.ic3.gov/Media/Y2022/PSA221221?=8324278624
Second, while watching a video, I can see the uBlock counter in my toolbar quickly counting the number of blocks. While watching today's Professor of Rock video (15 minutes-ish) it had counted to over 250 blocks.

Sigh....I already pay $70/month just for Cox internet connectivity. I don't want to pay another $676544 per month to the Alpha-Bits folks.

Bri
As an Android-only solution for Youtube and some other social media Adblocking: there is Grayjay, but this won't work on PC, Mac, or iOS, as it's currently only on Android - so it's not a final solution. I'm sure you're probably aware of this, since you watch Louis Rossman, but I should mention it for people who aren't familiar.

Louis Rossman created an application called Grayjay that essentially serves as a one-stop place for every single one of a social media influencer's platforms, for example Youtube, Twitch, Soundcloud, etc. where the viewer subscribes to the influencer's identity instead of the individual platform. Since Grayjay itself doesn't serve as a platform, it won't have advertisements on it. Louis Rossman made a Youtube video talking about Grayjay, but it got taken down because Youtube apparently doesn't allow for promoting competitors.

The mirror video can be found on Twitter/X and also on Grayjay's website where more information is detailed.

https://grayjay.app/index.html
Oh yeah, also Grayjay is technically free and open source, as it works on a "trust-basis", and you can claim you've already paid for the app and there's nothing stopping you from copying the source code, with the only issue being publishing it online. Louis Rossman acknowledges all of this in his video and explains that while requiring payment would probably make the app more profitable, hopefully enough people obide by the trust basis and/or are moved enough by the benefit off the app to donate out of their own voilition.

Youtube's latest effort was a bit faint...

I got the notice "Adblockers not allowed. From now one, you can only watch one vid per day."

And that was true. After one vid, nothing streaming anymore. So I went and watched Vimeo for an evening. Next morning, everything was back to the way it was before. Or not?

Since that day, I get numerous old complete movies in the suggestions. Yesterday, I watched "Crazy in Alabama", for instance.

Then I came across one movie I wanted to download. Something I haven't done in years. As soon as I started the download, while watching something else, I got a popup "Are you still watching?" I replied "Yes" to the popup and it went...

That's about a week ago. Nothing changed. Still loads of (old) movies. I really don't understand what they're doing...

Latest posts

Back