Postal Service Says to Stop Mailing Checks

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Roth

I regularly watch Steve Lehto's videos on Youtube. He's an attorney in Michigan and is a "No BS" guy....not a nut job.

This one was posted today.

It was odd timing because today I dropped a check in the mailbox at the "drive through" at my nearby post office.
The check was to Blue Cross for my "medigap" insurance.

I knew NOT to put a check in my house's mailbox and flip up the red flag on the box since thefts from those boxes are widely reported. Recently I read a news article when a thief was caught "fishing" in a blue USPS drop box and stealing envelopes and altering the checks so he could cash them. So, I know the daily pickup time at my post office's "drive through" and drop the (very few) checks I write like a half hour before the pickup time posted on the blue box. IOW...I don't drop the envelope when it might have to sit overnight.

I need to call Blue Cross because when I tried to sign up for paying online, the website says they have no record of my account number. Yet, they gladly cash my check each month!

In the Lehto video, he also mentions that some of the thefts actually are WITHIN the actual postal service.

Sigh....and businesses are having their online servers hacked and payment records are being stolen. Cat and mouse game with the crooks....

Bri

EDIT: here is the news article quoted by Lehto:

https://www.cbsnews.com/pittsburgh/news/u-s-postal-service-warning-checks-mail/

Last edited:
Post office also says you’re not supposed to mail cash as well. In fact one postal person said it was illegal. I don’t know about the legality of it. But I can say I’ve done it anyway. About the best you can do is talk to Blue Cross which will be a pain in the butt and see what they prefer these days. I’m sure there will be a sign up online discussion and rebuttal.
As for the op I mail checks, I don’t do online. It’s usually not an issue but I have had a few times where it was. Checks can be cancelled unless they are from the government. When my last refund was stolen, after a long drawn out investigation from the irs, they just cut a new check and didn’t bother any further.

Last edited:
i imagine that since the vast majority of stuff is paperless now, but it's still normal to mail checks in the mail, that means that the proportion of mail that is a check is higher, so the rate of success with mail theft is higher, hence more people trying it and a greater number of stolen checks. not really a way around this basic fact, probably...

AP....an interesting (paranoid?) comment. So, other than writing a check to Blue Cross and mailing it, what do you suggest?

Bri
I pay a lot of my bills online, but by check. A couple are on auto-deduct. I pay a few things by check, too. Don't know what to suggest. I don't like having all of my financial activities and purchases monitored by anyone, especially the government.

i imagine that since the vast majority of stuff is paperless now, but it's still normal to mail checks in the mail, that means that the proportion of mail that is a check is higher, so the rate of success with mail theft is higher, hence more people trying it and a greater number of stolen checks. not really a way around this basic fact, probably...
Wasn't a big problem when citizens and government employees had morals and people respected each other and the rule of law. That's the basic fact. Decay.

Wasn't a big problem when citizens and government employees had morals and people respected each other and the rule of law. That's the basic fact. Decay.
Recently, mail fraud eclipsed other forms of theft in risk/reward ratio, so existing criminals moved to that. Simple economics. Just like how money laundering changed a ton when bitcoin became available. I don't think the overall rate of theft has gone up. In fact, property crimes have been trending down for quite some time

Story time with pucho

The full story is as follows.
I was expecting a sizable refund from the irs one year. The check never arrived. After a period I reported it to the irs. The irs insisted it was deposited. I said I never got it. After an argument ensued, they sent me proof. The check was processed only my name was not on it. My address was but not my name.
After a lengthy investigation the irs concluded that the check had been washed. This means that a person gets said check and uses chemicals to remove print off the check and then add a different name to the check. From there the check gets cashed or deposited into a different account which then gets closed shortly after. With phony id’s and other fraud, can easily have that money in the hands of a thief in no time.
The irs also concluded that the check would have gone missing and been stolen between after it was printed and before it got to my house. That’s a lot of ground to cover.
Their solution was just make another check that it happens.

I pay a lot of my bills online, but by check. A couple are on auto-deduct. I pay a few things by check, too. Don't know what to suggest. I don't like having all of my financial activities and purchases monitored by anyone, especially the government.
OK...and why don't you think your checks and autopay through the bank are NOT monitored by the government? Just curious....not trying to start a sh!tstorm! <g>

Bri

Recently, mail fraud eclipsed other forms of theft in risk/reward ratio, so existing criminals moved to that. Simple economics. Just like how money laundering changed a ton when bitcoin became available. I don't think the overall rate of theft has gone up. In fact, property crimes have been trending down for quite some time
Mail theft was a problem in the area where I lived in California from 1999 until we left in 2021. It got worse the last decade, but was a continual problem. It isn't a recent phenomenon.

The problem is a complete lack of enforcement. No one at the PO cared one damn bit about felony crimes including destruction of locking mailboxes. Some theives were even bold enough to break into a couple dozen PO boxes at the actual post office on more than one occasion. The "solution?" Drastically reduce access hours to PO boxes for those who rented them. Great job!

Our (once) civil society is declining into a chaotic and lawless land.

OK...and why don't you think your checks and autopay through the bank are NOT monitored by the government? Just curious....not trying to start a sh!tstorm! <g>

Bri
I also buy a lot of things locally with cash. I'm sure the IRS is now checking on my checking. I think that's crap. What happened to presumption of innocence, right to privacy, due process, probable cause and the rest?

I also buy a lot of things locally with cash. I'm sure the IRS is now checking on my checking. I think that's crap. What happened to presumption of innocence, right to privacy, due process, probable cause and the rest?
I went through hell 10+ years ago due to my bad luck/bad planning.

IRS had "first dibs" on whatever small amount of my meager assets at the time.

Cash is good IMHO.....but if IRS starts digging around...."how did you afford your groceries?? etc
I've recovered, but ASSume I'm being closely watched. I'm now a retired man on social security.

Bri

Mail theft was a problem in the area where I lived in California from 1999 until we left in 2021. It got worse the last decade, but was a continual problem. It isn't a recent phenomenon.

The problem is a complete lack of enforcement. No one at the PO cared one damn bit about felony crimes including destruction of locking mailboxes. Some theives were even bold enough to break into a couple dozen PO boxes at the actual post office on more than one occasion. The "solution?" Drastically reduce access hours to PO boxes for those who rented them. Great job!

Our (once) civil society is declining into a chaotic and lawless land.
My own story: I once had a stalker threaten me, and I called the police and they literally said "There's nothing we can do, you'll have to call us back when he's actually done something." Just a few years ago, they would have sent a car, driven past, even sat outside for a bit, but instead I get a "call us when you're dead!"
Egg was on their face when he actually came. They were a lot nicer when he was arrested...after I'd had to fend for myself. Pretty traumatic. Easier to tell it now, a few years on, but damn. Nobody enforces jack shit in terms of day to day crimes these days.

Last edited:
Is there any real data that the population is less moral now than they were in the past; whatever “nostalgia past” anyone might feel? Or this all just how you feel?

While I understand the sentiments and may feel just as irritated with crime and lack of accountability or consequences as anyone else, does it all just come down to economics?

By the way, I’ve found doing absolutely everything online for years now has actually reduced my problems and concerns.

I've never managed to write my signature the same way any time I sign something. I decided to use a stupid signature when I was young and now I am stuck with it, because everything important in my life has that freaking signature. Anyway, no bank will cash my checks because the signature never matches their records, hence, I don't use checks.

My own story: I once had a stalker threaten me, and I called the police and they literally said "There's nothing we can do, you'll have to call us back when he's actually done something." Just a few years ago, they would have sent a car, driven past, even sat outside for a bit, but instead I get a "call us when you're dead!"
Egg was on their face when he actually came. They were a lot nicer when he was arrested...after I'd had to fend for myself. Pretty traumatic. Easier to tell it now, a few years on, but damn. Nobody enforces jack shit in terms of day to day crimes these days.
Wow, you are a female at GDIY besides Angie, I believe you are the first one I've met. Kudos and thank you! At first I was like "how many guys get a stalker?" anyway, nevermind me... Glad everything worked out ok for you, that sounds pretty scary.

I've never managed to write my signature the same way any time I sign something. I decided to use a stupid signature when I was young and now I am stuck with it, because everything important in my life has that freaking signature. Anyway, no bank will cash my checks because the signature never matches their records, hence, I don't use checks.
I have the same problem TBH. I've switched to signing a sort of monogram. It's easier
At first I was like "how many guys get a stalker?"
You know, I've had a few male friends have stalkers lately. I wouldn't say women stalk men less than men stalk women, but rather female stalkers tend to be less violent about it? Less violence with women & more things like slashing tires, at least from what I've seen. Kind of similar to how crime works out in general.
Glad everything worked out ok for you, that sounds pretty scary.
Thank you, I appreciate it!

You know, I've had a few male friends have stalkers lately. I wouldn't say women stalk men less than men stalk women, but rather female stalkers tend to be less violent about it? Less violence with women & more things like slashing tires, at least from what I've seen. Kind of similar to how crime works out in general.

Well, yes, I guess, but it is rare. And when it happens, it usually involves previous engagement (usually a guy had a date with her and ghosted her or something). I have yet to meet a guy who's had a complete stranger woman stalking him in a really creepy and dangerous way, but anything can happen.

I remember my mom pulling out her check book some time in the late 80s, raising a few eyebrows since nobody used them anymore. I don't think I've seen one since.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back