Zadwiski's Tape Saturator mods

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1wildthing

Hi guys, I've had my first attemp in designing a pcb starting from schematic and I succeed.
I realized my version of the zadvitsky's Tape saturator that you can find at Tape saturation compressor/limiter in a wooden box
This is the original schematic:
tape-saturation-limiter schematic.png
Now what I would like to do is to make the High freq boost/cut stages bypassable using a dpdt switch. This is my modified schematic:

sch mod1.png
My idea is to get something like the Looptrotter Sat2rate 2 adding even a lo freq Cut/Boost switchable stage, but before moving on new mods I need to solve this problem.

When I use the bypass switch the input/drive pot is passing the sound only when in full CW position. Moreover the resulting sound is distorted and the saturation intensity switch donesn't work at all.
Do you have any suggestion?

Last edited:
Hi guys, I've had my first attemp in designing a pcb starting from schematic and I succeed.
I realized my version of the zadvitsky's Tape saturator that you can find at Tape saturation compressor/limiter in a wooden box
This is the original schematic:
View attachment 105552
Now what I would like to do is to make the High freq boost/cut stages bypassable using a dpdt switch. This is my modified schematic:

View attachment 105553
My idea is to get something like the Looptrotter Sat2rate 2 adding even a lo freq Cut/Boost switchable stage, but before moving on new mods I need to solve this problem.

When I use the bypass switch the input/drive pot is passing the sound only when in full CW position. Moreover the resulting sound is distorted and the saturation intensity switch donesn't work at all.
Do you have any suggestion?
Hi. If you want to make it works you need to add another active stage because bypassing u1b you are bypassing not only the filter but that gain stage, too.
You can simply add another active stage after the pot (before u1b and the switch). Decide how much gain you want to add.
You can use another non inverting stage.

Could you defeat the high boost but keep the needed gain by switching C1/R7 to different values? That could be done with only an SPST switch. Use a 1M resistor in series to charge the alternate capacitor to avoid a big thump on switching.

Also, a random observation - you’re using 5532 opamps in sim, which need DC blocking capacitors.

Latest posts

Back