11 Slot DIY API 500 series rack

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you make the backplane PCB with positions for 12 card edge connectors so that if you wanted to use the PCB in a console bucket it would be somewhat easy to modify?

my two cents

Wilebee

there could be slots for the screws that hold the guides so you could
use them , move them or not at all
as an option , but fixed guides could cause some prolems

As mentioned, card guides will prevent many modules from fitting the racks.

The api and other racks don't have them.

Once installed, modules are pretty secure without even screwing them in. With screws they're rock solid.

Why bother? It is an unnecessary waste of time and money.

I checked the links mitsos gave and yes API does not have them. But Aphex and DBX have them as an integral part of the top and bottom cover as their cards are much longer than API.

However, the argument holds that once you fit the card it is secure and not incorporating a guide is a considerable cost saving.

On the other hand provision for optional guide will only add cutting/punching holes and won't increase the cost significantly. I will include this feature.

Cemal

I mentioned having a slot [ side to side ] to allow moving the guide
for adjustment , if you think that is a workable design idea ?

Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:55 pm Post subject:
Can you make the backplane PCB with positions for 12 card edge connectors so that if you wanted to use the PCB in a console bucket it would be somewhat easy to modify? I have a console project coming up that this would be really helpful for

Bump Please

[quote author="wilebee"]Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:55 pm Post subject:
Can you make the backplane PCB with positions for 12 card edge connectors so that if you wanted to use the PCB in a console bucket it would be somewhat easy to modify? I have a console project coming up that this would be really helpful for
Bump Please[/quote]
If this would work spacewise it could give some interesting options. I too have plans to make an 8-12 channel console (before I die) and this could be useful.

Anyway, Cemal and everyone else.. Any news? Let's keep this alive!

By my math 12 x 1.5 would put us at 18.00 in. I would think that if the 12th position was just left as the edge connection and holes for a tethered connections it could serve both purposes.

Wilebee

Hi Cemal and Colin,

Any updates on the case / PCB? Is this still going on?

cheers!

Probably best if I design the backplane first then the metalwork can be designed round it..... bear in mind that something like this will take several months to refine...

I'll start by designing a simple 2 position backplane and then we can discuss the design and then expand it to 12 position (11 standard position + 1 which can be on flying leads).... this way we can also make a 2 position desk mounted chassis/psu as well for the "bedroom recorders".... as a "byproduct" of the design.

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

Nice idea about the 2 channel.. Don't mean to rush, but it's a very exciting project, and I was hoping it wouldn't fall through again...

Hi guys,

I'm designing a 1RU 2 module box with Fabio, to be made in Brazil.
We were thinking about the 11 slot case as well. Let me know if you want me to quote production there. I have a feeling it will be very inexpensive due the the 2 to 1 ration on the currency right now. 2 Reals$ to a US$.

I already started drawings on it, but any help will be very welcome.

take care
Gil

My apologies to be away for a while.

I have some sketches made up and I am working on the finer detail for the manufacturability.

I have accommodated Colin's idea of 18 pin EDAC 306 series connector for optional dual 24VDC.

Anyhow, the back cover is removable for any other connector options. You can customise it to your own applications.

Stay tuned, you'll like it.

Colin,

May be you should hold on. It is better to design the mechanics first. I am almost there and I can provide you with a template for the PCB.

API units measure 38.1mm width. I have increased this to 38.5mm to allow some tolerance to home builders. Also if you chose to paint the panels this can easily add another 0.4mm. So we have 11 units as agreed.

12 position option will not be a problem. It is just a matter of additional 24 drilling and tapping operations. The maximum width we can work on is 423mm. Normally the mounting ears should be 24.5mm but some equipment manufacturers creep in a bit. I have a Drawmer compressor with 20mm ears. But I would stick to 423mm width which gives us 12 x 35.5mm wide strips.

However, are these going to be same as .125" screws.

(No offence to anybody I hate working in imperial. Screw sizes are the only imperial notation on the drawings. I am converting everything else to metric.)

For power supply I have got an expensive but a good idea. I could get 11 seperate PSUs with PCB mount potted small toroids in a 1U case. I could incorporate push button switches in the front panel to switch the outputs from 18 to 24VDC. As the 24V rail is going to be right at the bottom three contacts of the EDAC, even if you switch it to 24 by mistake it will not harm any units that operate in 18VDC.

I am almost there. Stay tuned.

Cemal

Hey Cemal,

Even though I'd be making my own cases as well, let me know if you want me to quote manufacturing for this case.

btw.. totally agree with you on the imperial measurements too, but I already got used to it now.

My 1RU is coming along also.

take care
Gil

Pitch cannot be changed to 38.5 as multi-slot modules won't screw in.... and some future modules won't connect properly without bending the PCB's.

12 way version must still have standard size panels. (not 35.5).... but it would probably not need the standard rack ears anyway if it is going in a console..... probably just a small ear... so probably best with removable ears so that they can be selected to suit.

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

Doh. Very good point Colin. I have never thought about the multi-slot modules. I'll keep to 38.1

I am not sure about the 12 slot if the standard panels are kept. The width will go up to 457.2mm leaving only 12.4mm for the ears on both ends. More concerned about the cabinet widths.

Hey Gil, no problem. I will pass on the drawings.

Back