11 Slot DIY API 500 series rack

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think most people would be happy with the
standard 10 or 11 slot version [i would , if it meets or matches the API ]
strong enough to take on remotes , you'd have to take a poll but i think
less will be used permanent [ could be wrong , i say don't worry about 12

[quote author="sahib"]I am not sure about the 12 slot if the standard panels are kept. [/quote]
[quote author="okgb"]I think most people would be happy with the
standard 10 or 11 slot version[/quote]
I agree. But I think that if the 12th slot was made as described on flying leads and didn't raise PCB cost significantly, why not? It doesn't have to be incorporated in the 500 rack. It would make the PCB more universal.

I hate working in imperial.
Me too, and I was born in the states... go figure.

About the PSU... this is external PSU only, right? I mean is there room for one on the side? Not unless one were to only use 9 modules or something right? So it will have an XLR cutout for power?

You said you're close... how close? I think everyone's getting really curious.... At least I know I am!

Thanks for doing all the hard work!

Gil I'd be interested in getting a quote here in Brasil when this is good to go. Sorry OT now, but in fact I'm still looking for someone to make cases for me here. If you could help, I'd appreciate it. PMing you..

[quote author="mitsos"]You said you're close... how close? I think everyone's getting really curious.... At least I know I am! [/quote]

Me too , :thumb: for this work.
:green:

The PSU is external unless the number of modules are reduced.

I have just completed my sketches and worked out how they are going to be manufactured. CAD drawings will be ready in a day or so and I will start getting initial pricing.

I am saying they because I have 11 and 12 slot seperately.

11 slot is designed to be used as both lunchbox and rack. Ears, handle and feet are removable to suit the application.

12 slot is similar except it does not require the ears. Just the handle and feet are removable.

I will forward the template for the PCBs to Colin. I initially based the design on 2.5mm thick PCB for extra durability and NC3MAV and NC3FAV2-0 Neutrik connectors. But if Colin has different types in mind, then it is no big problem as I can always amend the depth of the case. It won't effect the cost. We are talking about a couple of milimeters at the most.

However, could somebody tell me the screw type/size for mounting the modules? Are they same as the ones used on DBX/Aphex? If so I have them here. We could actually do some fancy knurled types here in-house if they are not readily available. But I suspect they are.

Cemal

Awesome news! Go Sahib, and now, go Colin!

Screws: according to these guys, #4-40 seems to be the one.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/geekslutz-forum/54268-api-lunchbox-screws.html

I handed over the template to Colin. Having said that I don't think he needed it as it appears that he has sufficient information in hand. My CAD drawings are done. As soon as the pcb is designed I will finalise the depth of the case and off we go.

In terms of PSU I already have a triple PCB designed and prototyped. It will be a matter of selecting an off-the-shelf case.

ok, need your opinions :'(

worked on some PCBs for this project the last week :eek:

don't want to advertise it yet, but bought an original API Lunchbox and received it a few hours ago.
(if I do this Backplane PCBs you will pay for it ;D)
first thing was to disassemble it, and it has less and some more features compared to my PCB.

now I want to know what is really needed (my PCB is configured like the standard shipping out configuration I see now)
(no manual with the API btw, loads of options but it seems you have to figure out them yourself)

the Lunchbox has (what my PCB doesn't have):
- output load footprints (no resistor fitted)
- +4/-2 output solderbridges (PCB traces to +4, for -2 you would have to cut and solder)
- +4/-2 input solderbridges (PCB traces to +4, for -2 you would have to cut and solder)
- footprints for the gain resistor (no resistor fitted)

my PCBs have some other options right now (which the Lunchbox doesn't have):
- main backplane with 11 slots (12 to follow)
- XLRs mounted at the backplane or via two 50pin SCSI ribbon cable connector to a remote XLR backplanes
(remote XLR panels for a deeper case to include an internal PSU)
- each XLR on the backplane can be jumpered either to GND or chassis
- the remote XLR PCB can be jumpered to connect all input XLRs to either GND or chassis, also all output XLRs

which of the original API Lunchbox features are really essential ???

Hi Volker,

Are you working with Colin/Sahid on this? I mean, will your board fit the case Sahid designed? I would hope so. Anyway, I don't have any problem paying you for boards, I do appreciate the quality (I'm so far from finishing my PM and DAOC by the way... :( ). Anyway, my hope is that we could build the cases locally, and in the case I need a second in the future, home etch files would be very nice.

Nonetheless, I do think you should be compensated (and Sahid/Colin) for the time each has put into this project. How we work this all out in the end is up to the group, I'm just throwing out ideas. Maybe do one run to make some $$ for your time, then offer the files when the boards run out? Anyway, talk to Colin too, he may be in the middle of this project as well. It would be good for you to work together so neither one ends up wasting time.

Right on, gotcha.. Ok, my 1.5 cents coming up..

I like all the stuff on your board so far. German engineering at its best! Especially like the grounding options. Easier than tying all the XLRs individually to ground.. 

Now one to the API stuff:

+4/-2 I personally don't care about.
Output load MIGHT be useful at some point.
Gain resistor?  What gain resistor is this? Shouldn't this part of the 500 module? Why did they include this?

Good job, Volker, thanks for putting time into this..

the Lunchbox has (what my PCB doesn't have):
- output load footprints (no resistor fitted)
- +4/-2 output solderbridges (PCB traces to +4, for -2 you would have to cut and solder)
- +4/-2 input solderbridges (PCB traces to +4, for -2 you would have to cut and solder)
- footprints for the gain resistor (no resistor fitted)

my PCBs have some other options right now (which the Lunchbox doesn't have):
- main backplane with 11 slots (12 to follow)
- XLRs mounted at the backplane or via two 50pin SCSI ribbon cable connector to a remote XLR backplanes
(remote XLR panels for a deeper case to include an internal PSU)
- each XLR on the backplane can be jumpered either to GND or chassis
- the remote XLR PCB can be jumpered to connect all input XLRs to either GND or chassis, also all output XLRs

- Load could be switchable on individual pres instead , no ?
- Would people with API's want those features or miss them ?
- I think most people are used to +4 , although some pres feature
- 10 for latency monitoring
- bigger question what else to do with the extra pins ?
- Colin had an idea of using 18 pin connector for higher supply rail

I'd say if your pcb is usable with standard 10 slot config and the rest
of those you mention can be implimented as options , then great .
I wouldn't want a particularly deep rack but the DBX's are and maybe
one could retro fit your board into that as well .

it's sounding good and glad someone is one this !thanks

I just wanted to say I hope this project comes to pass because I can't believe how expensive 500 series racks are.  Thanks for the hard work, everyone!

I too have been thinking about building a rack like this.  One thing I was thinking about was bringing the signals out to DB-25 connectors instead of XLR's. This could bring the cost down considerably, and also gives the user more flexibility as far as wiring goes. For example, I'm imagining that in a fair number of fixed installations the ins and outs of this rack will be wired directly to a patchbay. Many patchbays designed for fixed installations have punch-down blocks or terminal strips on the back.  By using DB-25's instead of XLR's you would be eliminating 20 (22 in the case of an 11 space rack) relatively expensive XLR connectors on the rack side.  Also, if you conformed to the wiring standard Tascam and others use for DB-25's, pre-wired snakes are already available. Just an idea.

--Joe

[silent:arts] said:
ok, need your opinions :'(

worked on some PCBs for this project the last week :eek:

don't want to advertise it yet, but bought an original API Lunchbox and received it a few hours ago.
(if I do this Backplane PCBs you will pay for it ;D)

Volker, I´m shocked  :eek: :eek: :eek:
regards
Bernd

Hey Guys

To clarify, the 12 position board idea would still only be an 11 slot external rack dues to size constraints. you would only be able to use the 12th slot in an enclosure other that a standard 19in rack mount. I think if only one back plane were designed with an optional 12 slot configured, then only one backplane would have to be designed.

Questions? comments?

Wilebee.

wilebee said:
To clarify, the 12 position board idea would still only be an 11 slot external rack dues to size constraints. you would only be able to use the 12th slot in an enclosure other that a standard 19in rack mount.
I designed two backplanes on request.

12 slot (non standard console mount):
512BackplanePreview-Top.jpg

11 slot (19" rack mount):
511BackplanePreview-Top.jpg

as you can see the Edac connectors are 18pin for the two additional power rails
(15pin can be mounted if you want to go original)

you can go directly to XLRs, with an external PSU (API compatible 5pin PSU XLR):
511BackplanePreview-XLR.jpg

for internal PSUs (one PCB with +/- 16V, +/-24V & 48V is in planing stage):
511BackplanePreview-Molex.jpg

with "remote" XLR I/O PCBs:
512XLR-Top.jpg

512XLR-Bot.jpg

BR said:
I don't see how it would be hard to have both XLR and DB25 options
might be possible to do an alternative in/out pcb with 4 x DB25, but this would need another back in the metal work  :-\
(and I want the space below the XLRs for the PSU)

bernbrue said:
Volker, I´m shocked  :eek: :eek: :eek:
why ???
do you think I have too much projects at the moment ? ;D
yes, I do :eek:

mitsos said:
like the grounding options
thanks. jumper options for each channel (using the XLRs on the backplane):
JumperPreview.jpg

for the other "API" options:
I will ignore them. I doubt "modern" modules will have all this +4/-2 input output stuff, nor the gain resistor feature. all of this, incl. termination resistors, should be placed directly on the modules. otherwise it is not plug and play.

mitsos said:
Are you working with Colin/Sahid on this?
I'm in constant contact with Sahib on this.

Back