Audio and Design F760

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This photo was a couple of weeks ago at which time there were a couple of ribbons missing and no I/O connectors....... have now had audio through it (but only in the workshop through tiny monitor).... I am told that it "marshmallow squashes" like the original..... but will be able to tell better next week when it goes to the studio.

ez760_prototype2.jpg

Not particularly happy with the front panel PCB....  needs a bit of rework.

It will look something like this;
www.audiomaintenance.com/downloads/ez760_prelim_faceplate.jpg

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

very nice looking pcb.  do you have any mechanical brackets holding those daughtercards up, or just the right angle pcb connectors?  from my experience, if you've got the room, go ahead and add a small right angle bracket, even if the daughtercards are light weight.  after a few years of being thrown around, it'll save you trouble from fatigued solder joints.

also, if this is something you want to sell to diy-ers, could you put in a footprint for something other than those lorlin switches?  i know they work fine, but personally i can't stand the feeling of the action or the plastic shafts.  there are many smaller rotaries available (elma, grayhill) that will easily fit inside the footprint of the lorin.

ed

The subcards are simply held in by the 8 way pin header connectors....I'll see if a bracket is practical.

It will only be for DIY.... I intended to just give the finished gerbers to Gustav ... but it will be some time yet..... busy with real work

It is probably easier to just have multiple board options for different switches.... having 3 sets of footprints would probably result in a multilayer PCB as there would be no space to pass the tracks between all the pins (or oodles of vias.... equally bad idea).

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

this is so cool diy project...

i have 2 compex boxes and recently cleaned and recaped them
will post pictures today

since 1is old rev and one is latter revision...there are some small differencs in design+ on latter model i dont have i/o trannies and psu is bit differen  ..regarding controls there is a change on latter revision there is no pre emphasis section of limiter switch ...just on/off

regarding sound ...this latter version sound a bit more brighter , more open top .... maybe its couse that one dont have trannies??
dunno that.... all other stuff and sound are same on bouth reveisions!

bernbrue said:
Rob,
look at groupdiy account. There are handwritten notes for calibration as well. Maybe it suits for your modell, too.
regards
Bernd

Hi everyone.

I'm new to groupdiy.  How do I access the groupdiy account?  I'd really like to get hold of those handwritten notes!

Many thanks,

Simon.

S Keats said:
bernbrue said:
Rob,
look at groupdiy account. There are handwritten notes for calibration as well. Maybe it suits for your modell, too.
regards
Bernd

Hi everyone.

I'm new to groupdiy.  How do I access the groupdiy account?  I'd really like to get hold of those handwritten notes!

Many thanks,

Simon.

I think if you look in the Meta area (1st post of theLab)  it has this info

Just to let everyone know that this project is not "Dead".... have just been snowed under with other things.....

.... ironically, because of the volume of snow we have had this week, I worked at home for a couple of days and have finally done the faceplate (in front panel express format).... soon as I have the faceplate I'll pop it in a box and we can get some studio testing done.... should be done in a couple of months.

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com.

Hi Colin,

I feel I can speak for all of us when I say that we are waiting with bated breath . . . . ! I have a pair of these from a Helios console. They are a long way from working, and I think it will be easier to build yours than get mine working!

My units have some bizarre looking ratios that are quite different to the ones on the A+D I have used. Does anyone know anything about this?

Kindest regards,

ANdyP

strangeandbouncy said:
I have a pair of these from a Helios console. They are a long way from working...

Andy,

What's the problem with them?

I've repaired and lined up a lot of these- let me know.

Slenderchap said:
.... have just been snowed under.....

Hi Colin, yep- me too, L'pool ran out of grit and the city centre just shut down for a while. Panic buying and everything....

I've got my stash of NE5532's though, so I'm okay....

Madness!

Mark

Hi Mark,

meter is smashed on one, sadly . . . Both don't pass audio at all! I took them to a good freind of mine who is a tech, and he didn't want to touch them, 'cos the circuit is very different from the one's he knew! Cards are different, operation I believe the same(?)

I actually don't know where they are at the 'mo, probably in storage . . . I'll have a look-see next time I'm there. - After the snow! (Oh. the weather outside is frightful, by my Pye it's quite delightful . . . . !)

ANdyP

I've got the entire manual full of schemos . . . .

This desk is a tad flawed(noise/loading)as is, but the preamp and eq are utterly amazing! The eq is entirely passive, but uses NO inductors, just capacitative . . .

ANdyP

Almost done....

www.audiomaintenance.com/downloads/ez760_proto2_1.jpg
www.audiomaintenance.com/downloads/ez760_proto2_2.jpg
www.audiomaintenance.com/downloads/ez760_proto2_3.jpg
www.audiomaintenance.com/downloads/ez760_proto2_4.jpg
www.audiomaintenance.com/downloads/ez760_proto2_5.jpg

Colin
www.audiomaintenance.com

The PANel LAYout is TOTally SCHWEEt!  I had a horrible day sucking dustballs under a 9K but that panel and a :molson: ends things on a high note!

Why the daughter cards?  Is that how the original unit is designed?

MIKe

Back