EMI RS124

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JayDubrek said:
It would be nice to see someone knock up a PTP version of this.....

I have two drip's PCB versions done, albeit with fairchild input trafos.. we'll mulch this over at drip's forum and see if we can mod ours to this... might be cool :)

I was young and I got the PCB for next to free 2nd hand :)

Winston O'Boogie said:
baadc0de said:
we'll mulch this over at drip's forum and see if we can mod ours to this... might be cool :)

Drip's a DRIP.  You don't need a platinum, 500,000 OZ circuit board or a piece of art for the wall.

Drips boards are kinda like a supermodel, real pretty,some nice curves, but f**king expensive! Thanks for taking the plunge and putting this up Winston. I'm going to have a crack at this asap...

Good stuff Winston O'Boogie. Nice to finally see it...(happen)

Probably good to submit it to the technical documents archive!

A big thankyou W B.........  I feel like we may all turn to dust as we look upon this schematic ....like when the opened the arc in raiders of the lost arc.....

Im gathering parts from the shed to do a point to point version

thanks once again....

so finaly we can see (hear) what's all the hype/fuzz about this machine... :)
Thanks

I have heard it, and never understood what the big deal was.

Seeing the schematic after all these years, I can only imagine a bunch of hot air around the tubes. Fuzz-es like any other barebones vari-mu.

all vari-mu's have this "sound". Or are you speaking of the transformers specifically? Nothing out of the ordinary there. Or do you mean the time constants? Who on this forum is lazy enough not to have experimented with their own vari-mu RC time constant network?

Is the only trick here really the fact the time constants are specifically tuned to fast/medium speeds instead of ye' olden times 1 minute release etc. uselessness? Is that how this design got famous?

Kingston said:
Is the only trick here really the fact the time constants are specifically tuned to fast/medium speeds instead of ye' olden times 1 minute release etc.

I don't know. Is it?

I hear what Kingston is saying. At the same time, it is nice to know what the final plate feedback R value is meant to be, and to have confirmation on cathode balance over plate balance and stuff like that.

Also, that 0.5u TC cap ( - I knew it, lol).

I have heard (and further modified) one of the POM modded 436's (not even close to the EMI schem btw), and there is magic to be found if you get the parameters just right. But it takes a lot of tube selection, too. Not just for balance, but for tone and character. I guess you can say that about any similar circuit, but it should be mentioned.

Quite a lot of fine detail crammed into that scruffy diagram, that should hopefully make it easier for us betel nuts to get where we want to go.

I say kudos to Winston for finally showing it to us.

Back