EZ1084EQ NEW BATCH COMING - SEE MY MARCH 27 COMMENT ON PAGE 38

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dandeurloo said:
I wonder if the PSU would fit in one of my Tube mic PSU cases.  My guess is it would.  They are steel but could be an option.

Yup, with plenty of space to spare. You could probably fit two of the kits into one of your cases, if you manage the space well.

Hey guys, on the gain knob, for the danderloo case, there's an extra dot past the 50 mark. If I make my switch go to the 12th position, will it actually have an effect on the gain, or does it top out at the 50 mark? By the way, whoever recommended the electric shaver for removing the pin from the switch, thank you. It worked perfectly for me. I'll throw some pics up soon, thanks.

Chad

madreza said:
Hi Guys !

I looked any corner of the forum but can't find any Bom for that !
where can I find it ?

thanks

The BOM only comes with the boards naturally.

Cheers

Jim

madreza said:
what should I do if I bought the boards from someone on the blackmarket and he didn't send me the BOM ?

No worries. Get in touch with me directly at ez1084eq  at vibrolux  dot  org

If you let me know the seller's name it would help. Thanks.

Cheers

Jim

I've been using the EZ 1084s for the past six months or so and have been pleased as punch.  The only problem I've had is that on one of my two units the gain switch makes a loud "pop" in between gain steps.  It's not a huge deal it just means I have to make sure my levels are dialed in before I print anything.  Anyway I know this can happen on non-shorting rotarys but since (i think) the AML Grayhills for that switch are shorting, and it isn't  a problem on one of the units I think the problem likely lies elsewhere.  Any thoughts on where one might look if trying to troubleshoot such an anomaly?

Hey guys, I have two that I built that sound great, but they are a little noisy. They both have the same amount of noise, about -75db when patched into pro tools. Do you think that it is related to the psu? Nothing else in the rack has this issue. I used the five fish psu kit, and the voltages measured out perfectly. The only other thing that I can think of, is that I didn't bias to a scope. Any ideas?

boneindian said:
I've been using the EZ 1084s for the past six months or so and have been pleased as punch.  The only problem I've had is that on one of my two units the gain switch makes a loud "pop" in between gain steps.  It's not a huge deal it just means I have to make sure my levels are dialed in before I print anything.  Anyway I know this can happen on non-shorting rotarys but since (i think) the AML Grayhills for that switch are shorting, and it isn't  a problem on one of the units I think the problem likely lies elsewhere.  Any thoughts on where one might look if trying to troubleshoot such an anomaly?

Make sure the Grayhills are exact same P/N as unit that is not pooping. Probably are but just in case. There is always a bit of pop or slight click but it should not be so much that you cringe whenever you want to switch gain. I presume all parts are per BOM?

Check your grounding. Power supply connection.

Does the popping remain even after several times of changing gain or does it diminish?

Cheers

Jim

P/N is identical on both units(I even switched cables to see if it might be located inside one of the five pin XLRs but problem remains on the one unit).  Power supply connections seem in order via continuity check.  Sharp popping stays consistent despite repeated gain switching and hours of power on.  I assume it must be a grounding problem SOMEWHERE but i can't find it for the life of me...

boneindian said:
P/N is identical on both units(I even switched cables to see if it might be located inside one of the five pin XLRs but problem remains on the one unit).  Power supply connections seem in order via continuity check.  Sharp popping stays consistent despite repeated gain switching and hours of power on.  I assume it must be a grounding problem SOMEWHERE but i can't find it for the life of me...

Tried switching the power cables going to the EQs and see if pop follows cable? You will find by process of ellimination. I presume both EQs operate the same too right? So we assume then that electronically both are same.

Tried prodding the resistors around the gain switch while EQ is on and monitor to see if you hear any pops. (sign of cold solder or even no solder).

You can email me at [email protected] to continue this. Less back and forth and we can post the result at end.

Cheers

Jim

Hey Bluzzi I shot you an email to continue troubleshooting the gain switch but I know sometimes they get lost in the shuffle.

I'm putting together a purchase order with Mouser right now to build a pair of these 1084s.

Turns out they don't have Xicon 4.7M resistors any more.  Seeing the BOM calls for a total 62 resistors of this value (for a pair) I want to know if it'd be best to substitute with 4.63M or 4.75M?

Also, those BC184C transistors are near impossible to find.  Are there any workable substitutions?

One more question.  I have no need for a 'true bypass' on this unit, so I am toying with an idea.

Is there any way I can integrate the EQ bypass into the on/off switching... ie - so the power switch instead becomes on/eq bypass/off?

I know i've seen it somewhere, but details on the 1084's power supply seem to be escaping me.  Does anybody have a link they can forward me?

Volume11 said:
Hey guys, I have two that I built that sound great, but they are a little noisy. They both have the same amount of noise, about -75db when patched into pro tools. Do you think that it is related to the psu? Nothing else in the rack has this issue. I used the five fish psu kit, and the voltages measured out perfectly. The only other thing that I can think of, is that I didn't bias to a scope. Any ideas?
Hey guys, I messed with the eqs a little more and here are my results...

The noise comes in around 60hz, 1.2k, etc., being more aggressive in the lower frequencies. I have a feeling that the problem is with the power supply but, I don't know how, or what to look for. With both units powered on, I have equal noise on both, at the same frequencies. If I turn one off, doesn't matter which, the other becomes dead silent, but still passes signal as it should. Any ideas? I checked the grounding in the psu and everything is grounded properly to my knowledge.

Thanks

dandeurloo said:
Ok, I got it going and sounds good from the simple test I have done.  I need to Bias it but don't have a scope.  Can someone who has biased theirs please get me a few voltages.  I would like to have the voltages of the emitter, collector and base of the 2N3055?  Thanks

Some inspiration for everyone.  My cases and ChuckD's knobs!

EZ1084-Side-Chucks-Knobsweb.jpg

Dan - i'm using you case too.  I'm wondering if it's best suited to use a 7-step input gain switch or an 11-step?

Che_Guitarra said:
dandeurloo said:
Ok, I got it going and sounds good from the simple test I have done.  I need to Bias it but don't have a scope.  Can someone who has biased theirs please get me a few voltages.  I would like to have the voltages of the emitter, collector and base of the 2N3055?  Thanks

Some inspiration for everyone.  My cases and ChuckD's knobs!

EZ1084-Side-Chucks-Knobsweb.jpg
I made two using dans case, with the eleven stepped option, and they both lined up perfectly. The extra steps make a big difference to my ears, so I'm glad I did it this way.
Dan - i'm using you case too.  I'm wondering if it's best suited to use a 7-step input gain switch or an 11-step?

Up and running, another one of Bluzzi's project comes to life. Waiting on my scope to arrive, if anyone has a simple biasing technique/measurements would be good to test out. Great project, excellent doc.

Attachments

• 1084 Final.jpg
    1084 Final.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 231
Back