EZ1084EQ NEW BATCH COMING - SEE MY MARCH 27 COMMENT ON PAGE 38

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Che_Guitarra said:
Yep... an amateurs mistake  :-[  Can't believe I didn't pick that up.

Can I ask - are those with successfully working 1084s able to flick their bypass switch at will with the unit on?  I'm blowing fuses in quick fashion when I try to do so.

I've had no one ever describe this problem. My guess is that you are shorting the power supply rails on the bypass switch. Also check that the diodes D1 and D2 are not reversed!

I presume you used the exact part numbers for the relays? Also the bypass switch? Just asking to see if we can eliminate the obvious.

Try measuring the bypass switch relay side with reference to 0v. With position in middle there should be no voltage on the 2 wires going back to relays.

Cheers

Jim

Che_Guitarra said:
I'll get back with the emails Jim - been out of town for a week so.

No worries. Just want you to this baby up and running and using it. Contact me here or by email.

Cheers

Jim

Hi Jim, et al;

I have version 1 boards I'm preparing to build.  Do I need to know anything about errors or mods on the first version boards?

What Wima bundle do I order from TAW? 

Are there variations, using MKS vs FKP vs FKS and their variants?  I know some of these are better than others for EQ filtering. 

Are all the Wimas being used for EQ filtering, or for other purposes, like the amp circuit?  Which are used for EQ?

thanks.

tommypiper said:
Hi Jim, et al;

I have version 1 boards I'm preparing to build.  Do I need to know anything about errors or mods on the first version boards?

What Wima bundle do I order from TAW? 

Are there variations, using MKS vs FKP vs FKS and their variants?  I know some of these are better than others for EQ filtering. 

Are all the Wimas being used for EQ filtering, or for other purposes, like the amp circuit?  Which are used for EQ?

thanks.

No no errors on v1 (it would have never been released that way). Drop me a message on [email protected] and I'll get you all the info you need.

The Wimas are all for the EQ yes. Sound really great and easy to place on board. You can take your pick of the variations but I chose for audio quality first and availability second. None are bad just another flavour that you may or may not even perceive. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Everyone that has given me feedback on the EQ had nothing but praises for it. Mr. Neve designed an amazing EQ and amp section. I just made it easy and cheap for everyone to build. I'm soldering v2 together and should be testing for release in early October. Both versions are identical for audio circuit. I just added a few conveniences and interface for new upcoming optional EZ1290LE mike pre add-on.

Cheers

Jim

Just done testing and all is good in the EQ world. Sounds as creamy as it always does. The new boards are on order and I do have a few on hands to sell now. I'll have full stock by end of October. Go to White Market section to see details. I've added a few more things for convenience and a new EZ1290LE board will be comong soon as well for those that requested it. There is also an output attenuation option for those that like to push the active section into oblivion.

I'll have pictures soon but essentially it is same board with added goodies. Same great sound , easier to build.

Cheers

Jim

thebigskinny said:
Silly question- where could I buy assembled psu's for 2 of these?
Finally getting around to these but not looking forward to building external psu boxes

Just sent you a PM.

Cheers

Jim

Bluzzi said:
I've added a few more things for convenience and a new EZ1290LE board will be comong soon as well for those that requested it.

So Jim, what about the EZ1290LE board?

I'm so waiting for it and since it's already March I'm
kinda hoping for news on it everyday...

And your patience shows your virtue!

I received most parts for an EQ so I will be starting a EZ1084EQ build next week and then I will have an EQ to do my tests. I had sold my 2 EQs. I didn't want to build the EZ1290LE and not test it properly.

I have the prototype boards and most parts for the EZ1290LE as well. So it's close now.

:)

Cheers

Jim

Bluzzi said:
And your patience shows your virtue!

I received most parts for an EQ so I will be starting a EZ1084EQ build next week and then I will have an EQ to do my tests. I had sold my 2 EQs. I didn't want to build the EZ1290LE and not test it properly.

I have the prototype boards and most parts for the EZ1290LE as well. So it's close now.

:)

Cheers

Jim

Will we be able to fit the 1290LE into the same case? Any modifications to the front panel needed? Tx!

sharpeleven said:
Will we be able to fit the 1290LE into the same case? Any modifications to the front panel needed? Tx!

I guess if your case is deep enough it could fit in. But unless you did the gain switch as per the original Neve 1084 with a 3pole 24position switch you would need an extra gain (rotary) switch for the mic stage.
I think Jim wanted to add another toggle switch to switch between mic and line stage, right Jim?

So if you used Dan's front panel you'll have to modify it...

The mike pre will be fully loaded with Phase, Pad, Phantom, Hi/Lo impedance and Mike/Line switches as well as the Gain switch so you will not be able to fit it into a 1RU.
I designed the EZ1290LE with same philosophy as EQ. So it's larger than most designs with quality components but it will be easier to build and quieter (I'll confirm that after I do my tests. If it isn't then I'll redesign!).

It would have to be a 2RU. There is a possibility that a 3RU would be able to fit 2 EZ1084EQ and 2 EZ1290LE but I think it would look strange.

Cheers

Jim

how about an 'umbilical box' that patches in the LE mic pre section?
should not be too hard...

bump for a front panel template--

anybody got a file or measurements of where to drill--this is my excuse for what is holding me back

shabtek said:
how about an 'umbilical box' that patches in the LE mic pre section?
should not be too hard...

bump for a front panel template--

anybody got a file or measurements of where to drill--this is my excuse for what is holding me back

Email me at [email protected] asking for it and I'll send you a file. Let me know type you can use (PDF etc.).

Great idea for the LE mic option. I had thought of that at first and I dismissed it but you just rekindled the idea thanks. I'll look into that. Maybe a 1RU panel for 2 of them instead of single mini cases! So 2 EQs and 2 mike pres would be 3RU spaces in all.

The EZ1290LE gets it's power from the EZ1084EQ so yes it can be done. I'll be designing a 2RU panel but I'll do a 1RU for a pair of EZ1290LE's.

Cheers

Jim

Latest posts

Back