GSSL HELP THREAD!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bradovic said:
"It is not showing compression or letting audio through."

Check power supply voltage with the rectifier out. check +/-15v and + /-12v rails.
Double check your Bypass switch wiring.

And then Harpo's guide at the end of page 210 may help. 

Good luck !

milanvdmeer17 said:
Hobbyist said:
Hey guys,

I'm finishing my first Gssl (mic&mod) and I just added a super sidechain mod.
Everything is connected the same like the picture below from an earlier thread.
I used 3x THAT 2181C on the gssl and changed all resistors based on THAT's datasheet.
First I tested the Gssl (standard) and it was responding as expected.
Now with the super sidechain.. no compression, it behaves like it's bypassed.. 
Only the makeup gain is responding well.

Hope someone can help me out with this or recognize this problem.
Are these symptoms of broken VCAs ? Checking the wires and connections over and over again.

(please ignore the "help" wire, it's connected in my case)

Greets from Belgium.

I had the same problem. Standard gssl was working. Added the super sidechain, no compression. Only passing audio. I solved my problem by soldering all the wires to the bottom side of the ssc board (just as all the other components). Hope this helps, let me know.

Milan

hello ! i have exactly the same problem on my GSSLwith the new SC board inside... No compression when the relay is On and the MAKE-UP not working ! i have test the audio on the board the Sound on the return pin is ok i think is on the IN/OUT relay bypass is the probleme maybe a wrong wiring... ?( i have solder on the back of the board)

on this page : https://picasaweb.google.com/108309409331755720628/GSSLSuperSidechainPCB#5193005367618854546

I can see a different wiring : SC board >> make up pots >> Pots master board ! its a good wiring solution ?

thanks for your help

:)

EmptyMusicBox1 said:
milanvdmeer17 said:
Hobbyist said:
Hey guys,

I used 3x THAT 2181C on the gssl and changed all resistors based on THAT's datasheet.

Are these symptoms of broken VCAs ? Checking the wires and connections over and over again.

Greets from Belgium.

I had the same problem. Standard gssl was working. Added the super sidechain, no compression. Only passing audio. I solved my problem by soldering all the wires to the bottom side of the ssc board (just as all the other components). Hope this helps, let me know.

Milan

hello ! i have exactly the same problem on my GSSLwith the new SC board inside... No compression when the relay is On and the MAKE-UP not working ! i have test the audio on the board the Sound on the return pin is ok i think is on the IN/OUT relay bypass is the probleme maybe a wrong wiring... ?( i have solder on the back of the board)

on this page : https://picasaweb.google.com/108309409331755720628/GSSLSuperSidechainPCB#5193005367618854546

I can see a different wiring : SC board >> make up pots >> Pots master board ! its a good wiring solution ?

thanks for your help

Do you have a picture of your build? Any other modifications? (Like push buttons, for example).

SC mod really shouldn't cause these problems, so curious to see whats at play.

Gustav

Gustav said:
EmptyMusicBox1 said:
milanvdmeer17 said:
Hobbyist said:
Hey guys,

Greets from Belgium.

Milan

thanks for your help

Do you have a picture of your build? Any other modifications? (Like push buttons, for example).

Gustav

Thanks gustav for your help !
for the wiring i follow the instruction on the tutorial of the SC

29qnq7c.jpg

about the conection i have test all is correct

and about the relay bypass i use this ref on mouser : http://www.mouser.fr/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=V23079A1005B301virtualkey65510000virtualkey655-V23079A1005B301

what do you think ?

EmptyMusicBox1 said:

29qnq7c.jpg

and about the relay bypass i use this ref on mouser : http://www.mouser.fr/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=V23079A1005B301virtualkey65510000virtualkey655-V23079A1005B301

what do you think ?

You did not state if you are using push-buttons. That could cause problems in itself (have seen it on a lot of builds)

The relay may be placed incorrectly. Did you check the voltages on the board?

Wiring looks very dodgy. Are you tinning your wires before soldering them in?

And just to make sure, you also had a fully, functioning unit before adding the SC board?

Gustav

Gustav said:
EmptyMusicBox1 said:

29qnq7c.jpg

what do you think ?

You did not state if you are using push-buttons. That could cause problems in itself (have seen it on a lot of builds)

The relay may be placed incorrectly. Did you check the voltages on the board?

Wiring looks very dodgy. Are you tinning your wires before soldering them in?

And just to make sure, you also had a fully, functioning unit before adding the SC board?

Gustav

I don't use push button but a rotary on/off

About the tension for the relay i have just test : 15v on the "top of the relay" and when i use the Bypass witch i can heard a clik on the relay and the led power on

and yes the comp work fine before the add on of SC

ebey3r.jpg

ok maybe i find something :

it's the drawof the diferetn postion of the relay when it's ON & OFF :
2zpt7o3.jpg

ok i have test now the bypass work with the new wiring  ;) !

my last problem : i have a Hummmmmm noise (audio buzz) on the Return audio to the sidechain :( ....... and the compression is alway to -16db ...(normal i have this voltage buzz noise on the sidechain) any idee to isolate the SC of the buzz noise ?

EmptyMusicBox1 said:
ok maybe i find something :

it's the drawof the diferetn postion of the relay when it's ON & OFF :
2zpt7o3.jpg

ok i have test now the bypass work with the new wiring  ;) !

my last problem : i have a Hummmmmm noise (audio buzz) on the Return audio to the sidechain :( ....... and the compression is alway to -16db ...(normal i have this voltage buzz noise on the sidechain) any idee to isolate the SC of the buzz noise ?

Generally, the "I have a problem with basic functionality, so I will need to redesign the project" approach is a bad idea with projects that have hundreds of verified, successful builds under the build. Its usually better to trace down any errors made in the build.

Your wiring looks very dodgy, I would go over it, make sure to tin the tips of the wires before soldering, then take it from there.

Gustav

EmptyMusicBox1 said:
Gustav said:
EmptyMusicBox1 said:
milanvdmeer17 said:
Hobbyist said:
Hey guys,

Greets from Belgium.

Milan

thanks for your help

Gustav

29qnq7c.jpg

what do you think ?
If you had used a relay with a pinout corresponding to the pcb, maybe a Multicomp HRS2H (the pinout of your other manufacturers relay is different), the desired result would have been much easier to archieve ... just saying ...

IMHO this is still asked in the wrong thread (questions regarding the SuperSC board would better be asked (and probably  are already answered) in the GSSL SuperSC board thread).

flodjo78 said:
Hello from France everyone,

It seems to me that my gssl doesn't have exactly the behaviour it should have while tweaking attack and release switches.

I used Harpo's Guide p210 of this thread ( thank you man ! ) and my measurement doesn't match his.

I feed both inputs with 1V RMS 300Hz sin, and have right measurements for NE5534 output.

But TL072 and 74 measurements are lower than expected. For instance TL074 pin8 with release in 4th position will measure about -2.17V at slowest attack and up to -2.75V at fastest attack...

Make up gain and threashold are working fine. 12 and 15v rails are ok.

Thank you in advance for your time.
Florian

Has anyone an idea ? I still can't fine the problem...

flodjo78 said:
flodjo78 said:
Hello from France everyone,

It seems to me that my gssl doesn't have exactly the behaviour it should have while tweaking attack and release switches.

I used Harpo's Guide p210 of this thread ( thank you man ! ) and my measurement doesn't match his.

I feed both inputs with 1V RMS 300Hz sin, and have right measurements for NE5534 output.

But TL072 and 74 measurements are lower than expected. For instance TL074 pin8 with release in 4th position will measure about -2.17V at slowest attack and up to -2.75V at fastest attack...

Make up gain and threashold are working fine. 12 and 15v rails are ok.

Thank you in advance for your time.
Florian

Has anyone an idea ? I still can't fine the problem...

0.0001V lower, or? Please post references for what you are trying to achieve, and what you feel isnt working.

Gustav

Turns out most of my previous issue was a measurement issue (again, total noob here). My power supply voltages are all spot on at this point. I've been searching and digging through the thread trying to find the big list of expected voltages and test points but can't seem to find it. Does anyone remember approximately when it was posted or what page? The unit powers up fine but the compression meter goes to about -16 instantly, and is pegged all the way to the right when toggling bypass. Turning makeup gain all the way up causes the meter to snap back to 0. I'm thinking I may have wired the bypass switch incorrectly so I am going to re-check that. Thanks again all of you for all your help!

flodjo78 said:
Gustav said:
0.0001V lower, or? Please post references for what you are trying to achieve, and what you feel isnt working.

Gustav

It seems that changing attack and release value doesn't affect the sound very much. (Changing comp ratio seems effective).

Harpo's guide p.210 suggest that " TL074 pin8 with release in 4th position will measure about -3.4V at slowest attack up to -5.1V at fastest attack. "

For me the value range is much narrower : from  -2.17 to -2.45 v.

I have the same kind of issue with TL072 measurements.

I double checked every resistor but no error here. That's so frustrating to be so close to a fully working unit...

flodjo78 said:
flodjo78 said:
Gustav said:

Gustav

It seems that changing attack and release value doesn't affect the sound very much. (Changing comp ratio seems effective).

Harpo's guide p.210 suggest that " TL074 pin8 with release in 4th position will measure about -3.4V at slowest attack up to -5.1V at fastest attack. "

For me the value range is much narrower : from  -2.17 to -2.45 v.

I have the same kind of issue with TL072 measurements.

I double checked every resistor but no error here. That's so frustrating to be so close to a fully working unit...

Could you post a link to the guide you are mentioning? page 208 in this thread on my browser contains no such info.

Gustav

Gustav said:
Could you post a link to the guide you are mentioning? page 208 in this thread on my browser contains no such info.

Gustav

I said page 210.  Near the bottom of the page, a big post.

Thank you for helping =)

Hi everyone,

I built the full kit from Gustav  but the GSSL won't turn on.
The voltage should be 220(230)V.

The image of the cabling is attached.

I'm a beginner and this is my first project, so I don't have a lot of experience.
Thank you for your help  :)

Attachments

• gssl.jpg
    gssl.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 31
totalcrank said:
Hi everyone,

I built the full kit from Gustav  but the GSSL won't turn on.
The voltage should be 220(230)V.

The image of the cabling is attached.

I'm a beginner and this is my first project, so I don't have a lot of experience.
Thank you for your help  :)

Hi,
Your "power supply" wiring is okay for 220v ( except that I can't be sure of your power switch wiring, but seems okay) .

Check if there's no problem with your power outlet, does it need a fuse ? is the fuse okay ? etc..

And how do you know it doesn't power up ? Do you expect some light from your power switch ? Did you measure the DC rectifier output ? ( the round component near the AC input of your torroïd ) Did you test it with audio input ? (sorry if my english is a bit inaccurate )

flodjo78 said:
Hi,
Your "power supply" wiring is okay for 220v ( except that I can't be sure of your power switch wiring, but seems okay) .

Check if there's no problem with your power outlet, does it need a fuse ? is the fuse okay ? etc..

And how do you know it doesn't power up ? Do you expect some light from your power switch ? Did you measure the DC rectifier output ? ( the round component near the AC input of your torroïd ) Did you test it with audio input ? (sorry if my english is a bit inaccurate )

Thanks for your reply,
I meassured the voltage and the power supply seems to work.
The red led gets circa 1,8 V and the vu-meter gets also circa 1,8 V.
But the led doesn't seem to work.

I also tried to run audio through the unit but the audio doesn't pass.

A close photo of the pcb is attached.

Attachments

• pcb.jpg
    pcb.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
totalcrank said:
I meassured the voltage and the power supply seems to work.
Most likely not. Measure for +15VDC, -15VDC, +12VDC, -12VDC and +12VDC at the aux.supply again, each rail in respect to 0VDC reference voltage.
The red led gets circa 1,8 V and the vu-meter gets also circa 1,8 V.
But the led doesn't seem to work.
..is only saying, the forward voltage for your type of red LED is 1.8VDC and the metering circuit is faulty, maybe/hopefully only because the +/-12VDC rails are not working correctly with wrong direction populated parts.

I also tried to run audio through the unit but the audio doesn't pass.
Doesn't make much sense unless you have a correctly working power supply, and connecting other gear only might make things worse or damage your connected gear.

A close photo of the pcb is attached.
Assume you'd need a new sidechain VCA (and next time populate this part the other way round before powering the unit).
No idea if your mains transformer hook up might be done correctly. Colour code of transformer wires are not standarized between different manufacturers, whatever yours might be. (better don't solder these wires to pcb's trace side when you can avoid it. As shown, mechanical force/gravity caused by the weight of these wires when moving the box will break the pcb trace sooner or later...)

Harpo said:
Most likely not. Measure for +15VDC, -15VDC, +12VDC, -12VDC and +12VDC at the aux.supply again, each rail in respect to 0VDC reference voltage.

Thanks for the suggestion.

..is only saying, the forward voltage for your type of red LED is 1.8VDC and the metering circuit is faulty, maybe/hopefully only because the +/-12VDC rails are not working correctly with wrong direction populated parts.

Yes it's probably like you said  (and hopefully) because of the not working rails.

Doesn't make much sense unless you have a correctly working power supply, and connecting other gear only might make things worse or damage your connected gear.

Desperate try of mine and you are right. Shouldn't have done that.

Assume you'd need a new sidechain VCA (and next time populate this part the other way round before powering the unit).
No idea if your mains transformer hook up might be done correctly. Colour code of transformer wires are not standarized between different manufacturers, whatever yours might be. (better don't solder these wires to pcb's trace side when you can avoid it. As shown, mechanical force/gravity caused by the weight of these wires when moving the box will break the pcb trace sooner or later...)

I used a 3 way terminal block for the pcb wires underneath. The terminal is soldered and placed so that there shouldn't be a problem.
The color code with the wiring of the transformer (and all other cables) is based on the assembly guide from pcbgrinder.

Latest posts

Back