GSSL HELP THREAD!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello and thank you for your responses!
Well, im very glad you agree to my conclusions. It would be a pleasure to go for mods, but my first intention is to calibrate and verify my basic units behaviour, in order to safely evaluate it and also be sure that the meter follows the sound as closely. Could you provide me some search terms related to the pointers you refer mr Jakob?
I found an osciloscope software which seems to be pretty helpful for audio signals, but what i still ignore is how to take references. For example how to calculate 0 db of threshold (should it be right in the middle?).  I'll probably set unity in my mixer and go on from there,  I generally try sinewaves and pink noise to a/b compare the bypass/active mode.
Also, what i have observed is that max compression (1:10 Ratio/Short Attack/Long Release) is around 18-20 db of dynamic range, which is close to what the meter should read max. Is this a standard value, or it depends to input signal factors? Could we characterise that as the maximum limiting abillity of the build?
My last question has to do with the similarities/differences of the gssl and the original ssl 4000 buscomp. As you can imagine i dont have access to an original unit. Are there other behavioural or audio differences, other than the single/dual SC vca and the DBX/THAT vcas? I imagine that the change of the vcas alone can be a big "difference", but what i'm generally trying to pinpoint, is some criteria for a more "vintage" build in the future.
thank you all!
Regards.
(PS. ill be posting some higher quality audio material soon. is there any pack of files that contain dry/ original ssl compressed files? This could be a very good start for making the same setting and observing how close it is to the original and other builders units.)

Hi Gustav, just to tell you that I've just tested the unit and it works like a charm, so I'd like to thank you for your precious help. This is crazy how only one bad solder can fucked up the entire circuit of the machine... Anyway I'm very happy that my first build is now a fully working unit and I'm ready to go for the turbo mod.

innercityman said:
This is crazy how only one bad solder can f**ked up the entire circuit of the machine...

The pins soldered together were the + supply pin (DC), and the output pin of the VCA, so you were supplying +15V into the signal path of the side chain.

Glad to hear your unit is working :)

Gustav

Hi guys, another issue with my GSSL ( i cant believe it )

So i checked all the values and they are all more or less correct ( + - 2% ) 

When i through sound in the unit the compression is very very hard, extremely hard in fact  and the release is very slow

you can see on the vu meter and of course you can hear that at every hit the compression raises more or more but releases too slow, so after some hits i am at full full compression and have to wait 10-20 seconds to have no more compression when i stop the sound

Any idea of where i could have fucked up ( again ) ?

Thanks

pstcho said:
Hi guys, another issue with my GSSL ( i cant believe it )

So i checked all the values and they are all more or less correct ( + - 2% ) 

Which values? Voltages good?

pstcho said:
releases too slow, so after some hits i am at full full compression and have to wait 10-20 seconds to have no more compression when i stop the sound

I checked your previous posts, and it looks like your trafo is underpowered. This could have caused some component problems (maybe a problem with the VCA).

Any mods added? Any pictures of the build? Release "problem" present at all release settings?

Gustav

Voltages seems good , i put a 20VA transfo cause the 5va was pretty hot :p

also put brand new VCA and op amps but no difference

i added the expat vu meter MOD but the problem is the same without

the sound is perfect dinamic also in bypass or without with very high threshold and low ratio

about the pics  which parts should i zoom the most on ?

pstcho said:
Voltages seems good , i put a 20VA transfo cause the 5va was pretty hot :p

also put brand new VCA and op amps but no difference

i added the expat vu meter MOD but the problem is the same without

the sound is perfect dinamic also in bypass or without with very high threshold and low ratio

about the pics  which parts should i zoom the most on ?

Just any pics to start with to get a feel of the build.  :)

I dont see an answer to the question "Is this a problem in all release settings?".

Gustav

ok i will try to make some pics fast :)

yes it is for any ration any attack and release settings,

you can see the compression adding adding adding, like if there was 20sec release time

with the fast attack and or highration, it "Piles" much fast fast so i guess the attack and ratio work

some pics

i am not an artist :p

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ln7x5uwg8kio7kq/AAB8qVJ4TKOrQuMhCd0kheAAa?dl=0

pstcho said:
some pics

i am not an artist :p

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ln7x5uwg8kio7kq/AAB8qVJ4TKOrQuMhCd0kheAAa?dl=0

Please show me a picture of the control board, front and back - to check the caps in the release circuit and the solder work.

Gustav

pstcho said:
it is still uploading  in 30 minutes it will up

sorry i have very slow internet

I asked you if all release times were the same, since I figured it would be less likely that you had a wrong value on them all (like if the 0,47uF was a wrong value, but the 6,8uF was correct), but I forgot theres a cap in series with the 6,8uF as well.

Ive never seen 0,47uF tantalum caps that big, and since higher value = longer release time, it would be good to  recheck if the values of those is really within the 2% if you stated.

Gustav

now i am extremely doubting the value of the  capacitors, it is true they seem huge, i will remove them to mesure them and check, maybe the insciption is wrong ....

pstcho said:
now i am extremely doubting the value of the  capacitors, it is true they seem huge, i will remove them to mesure them and check, maybe the insciption is wrong ....

I haven't seen everything, but since it would make sense with your problem, its worth checking if they are 4.7uF (or even 47uF, considering the recovery times you are reporting).

Gustav

the insciption is .47u  but when i mesure removed from the pcb it shows 47U pff ok so i will replace then and see, thanks a lot for the help, i hope to find other caps fast to keep you updated and thanks a lot for the help...

ok just for a test i have put electrolytic capacitor 0.47u and it works perfectly  :))))))))))))))))))))

i am very very very happy now hahahahahaha  thanks a lot for opening my eyes Gustav, you rock !!!!!!!!! now i will have to order 4 more PCBs  from PCBginder ;)

pstcho said:
ok just for a test i have put electrolytic capacitor 0.47u and it works perfectly  :))))))))))))))))))))

i am very very very happy now hahahahahaha  thanks a lot for opening my eyes Gustav, you rock !!!!!!!!! now i will have to order 4 more PCBs  from PCBginder ;)

So glad I could help get it working :)

Orders are always welcome, especially during the slow summer!

Gustav

i made it work 48hours non stop with input full and it passed the test :p

today sound tests :)

than ks a lot for the help

David

Please help for voltage sidechain GSSL.

TL 074 pin 7 = 0,14VAC ---- (2*0,1VAC in voltage*33/47= 0,14VAC) OK
TL074 pin  1 = 0,42VAC  --- 0,14VAC in voltage*20/20=0,14VAC BAD  why????
Junction  20k, 10k, kat. diode = 0,1 VAC why?

Thank you

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 15
main repairman said:
Please help for voltage sidechain GSSL.

TL 074 pin 7 = 0,14VAC ---- (2*0,1VAC in voltage*33/47= 0,14VAC) OK
TL074 pin  1 = 0,42VAC  --- 0,14VAC in voltage*20/20=0,14VAC BAD  why????
Junction  20k, 10k, kat. diode = 0,1 VAC why?

Thank you

What is wrong with your GSSL ? Doesn't it pass audio and / or compress correctly?
It doesn't make too much sense calculating / comparing voltages without knowing what the basic problem in your unit is.

BTW: The TL074 is part of an active full wave rectifier circuit, so measuring AC voltages only does not give you any usable results.

Back