GSSL HELP THREAD!!!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi every one, my question.
I added for GSSL HPF by Steffen - http://www.hausverwaltung-heger.de/al_leck_trick/ixi_ssl_22.jpeg .
My problem - output GSSL is no change. Output op amp NE5532 pin 7 is HPF active. Any idea? Thanks

main repairman said:
Hi every one, my question.
I added for GSSL HPF by Steffen - http://www.hausverwaltung-heger.de/al_leck_trick/ixi_ssl_22.jpeg .
My problem - output GSSL is no change.

No change from before adding the mod, or no compression since adding the mod?

main repairman said:
Output op amp NE5532 pin 7 is HPF active. Any idea? Thanks

Are you saying you can see a signal on pin 7, or are you just informing us that that is the output pin?

If you are just not getting compression, and no signal on pin 7

Aside fromt he usual (check solder work, resistor values, cap orientation, correct pampas etc)

1. Check if the circuit is powered - supply voltages routed to the active components.
2. Check if the switch is wired correctly
3. Check if the switch is programmed correctly
4. Check if the switch is set to external side chain input while you experiment

Gustav

main repairman said:
Compression is active in output GSSL , HPF is not active in output GSSL ( HP filter is active only is output NE5532 pin 7 op amp ).

The mod you added is not designed to high pass the signal path, only the side chain.  It seems that it is working correctly by your findings.

Gustav

main repairman said:
Thank you. I think if HPF output is not heard what is the sense?

The HPF reduces the amount of "bass" signal that is recieved by the sidechain. With the sidechain HPF enganged the compressor reacts less on bass  (energy) heavy sounds like bass guitar or kick drum.

You can hear the differnce very easily when you run a drum loop through the unit, compress heavily and than engange the HPF

I know what is HPF. My problem is that the output GSSL not hear  cut frequency.  I connect to input GSSL bass loop and output not hear no change. A place where i hear a cut  frequency is only output  NE5532 pin7. I find problem. Thanks

main repairman said:
I know what is HPF. My problem is that the output GSSL not hear  cut frequency.  I connect to input GSSL bass loop and output not hear no change. A place where i hear a cut  frequency is only output  NE5532 pin7. I find problem. Thanks

You won't hear a bass cut in your audio signal when you engage the HPF since it is NOT in the audio path but in the sidechain. You will only hear the compressor react different to the audio signal. It may not be as obvious in a bass loop but it surely is when you use a drum loop or program material and set the compressor to lots of gain reduction and  a fast release time.

If you want to test the HPF you also just send a low frequency  sine signal into the unit, set it to a few dB of gain reduction and than activate the HPF. When the GR decreases than you know it works correctly.

Hi guys, ( again ) i have been searching since some days on the forum and couldnt find an asnwer to my questions

I would like to add a stereo led vu meter for my input / ouput metering ( cause i want to chain several processor in the same rack )

I was searching if there is any kit preferable for this job, or certain specification not to " damage " the line signal

I was thinking to plug the meter right on the Jacks input / output

Any better idea, any kit in mind, any better advice ?

Hi guys, I plugged audio to INPUT - on one 5534 Opamp output wave, is twice louder then the input, while on the other opamp they are the same (Input wave same as output)  they should be the same? If should be the same then there is somewhere mistake in opamp feedback section?

On INPUT OPAMPS 5534 Input level should be the same in Output? They just debalancing?
Because on one I'm gettin output twice louder then the input while on the other they are the same, so I wonder which one is working fine and which one is not.

thanks for your reply,  but this mod is mostly to use  a normal VU for the GR metre

I used it, but i would like to add a stupid simple line level vu metre on the inputs and outputs ( straight on the Jack ) without having any chance to affect the sound ( eventualy )

So I resoldered all the Input section and problem seems to be apered with no changes. Than i just swaped the cables and can't believe but input opamps changed. I mean the one that had a louder output started to act well while the other with same output on 5534 started to gain level, well, don't know if that's good or bad but now output is clearly on the same level. But actually i would like to understand why is that happend? I meanThen i took 2 other cables and both channels now raising up the level, but question is - WHY CABLE AFFECTS 5534 OUTPUT LEVEL???

Olegarich said:
WHY CABLE AFFECTS 5534 OUTPUT LEVEL???

Either you have a broken connection in the "lower" cable, or you are using an unbalanced cable for one side.

Gustav

Yeah that was it!! Thank you!

PROBLEM: One channel Louder the the other. Checked Input Opamps (5534) Left Channel - level on input and output of opamp is the same. Right channel input and Output level of opamp is different. Checked all the parts around and bad soldering, all is good.

SOLUTION:  Check cables and XLR or JACK connection. In my case the bad jack insert, when it's plugged in,  one plug doesn't makes good connection.
Just what Gustav said it is.
That worked out for me.

Yet after day playin with it - started another issue.
When I press power on Ihave metter full right (Like gain reduction 20 dB and more) Meter keeps there for like couple seconds and comebacks to normal position. After that all is working as it should no problem, but only that thing when turn it On. If it's in bypass mode and I'm turning it ON there is no metter jump but when it's compressing and I Press power ON then i have this meter jump for couple seconds. WHY????

Olegarich said:
When I press power on Ihave metter full right (Like gain reduction 20 dB and more) Meter keeps there for like couple seconds and comebacks to normal position. After that all is working as it should no problem, but only that thing when turn it On. If it's in bypass mode and I'm turning it ON there is no metter jump but when it's compressing and I Press power ON then i have this meter jump for couple seconds. WHY????

When then unit is in bypass, you are cutting the side chain at  the attack/release circuit, which is before the meter.

When the unit is not in bypass, the inrush current reaches the meter for a few cycles, until everything is charged and stabilised.

Its perfectly normal (and expected) for the meter to kick on start-up, although "a few seconds" is more than usual for this unit.

Gustav

Hi everyone. I tested again gssl with HPF. I send to the input unit ,,bass loop,, and output unit i not hear change. I do not understand the sense HPF without change the sound output unit. It is correct??  In the signal path cut frequency i hear very clearly. Please help

Sound samples
https://soundcloud.com/phancak/hpf

I send to the input unit of 1 kHz square signal and the output unit oscilloscope shows this (disconnected release)

Attachments

• HPF.jpg
    HPF.jpg
    801.5 KB · Views: 20

Latest posts

Back