My new project-500 series GSSL.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanx, guys.

Hey guys, just reading this thread. Did I read correctly that there will be a 1RU model to come?

Sure. Same audio PCB's, only front panel and control PCB adapted to 1RU.

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=38924.0

Same part names and BOM, same simple assembly, there will be option-adapter boards from
EDAC 15 pin to XLR's (60mm between XLR centers).
I did provision for 3-pin Molex connectors for in/out/power supply at audio board,
for wiring or test purpose.

1RU control board will be done with power supply on-board and easy connection to front panel
allowing to use different front layouts. The pricing for full boards 1RU set will be lower than
500 MixBuzz kit with hardware.

Igor,
May be a goof in the schematic you posted - it looks like it only gets power from the +16/-16 pins but circuit wants 18v? Should there be a connection to the 24v pins w/ an 18v regulator?

May be a goof in the schematic you posted - it looks like it only gets power from the +16/-16 pins but circuit wants 18v? Should there be a connection to the 24v pins w/ an 18v regulator?

Yes, some parts of original compressor works at +/-18 and some at +/-15V.
Circuit actually doesn't hardly "wants" +/-18 :)
I tested the compressor at +/-15...18V, it works fine.
GSSL done on +/-15 as well.
All you guys used it at +/-15 and were happy, here it is +/-16, I'd say, 2volts of headroom added!!!
I don't see huge advantage on 18 instead of 16 volts...(same shit if this is not 24 :)
I.e. THAT1646 on +/-15V IIRC some dB more than most converters or ProTools +18db max input.
THAT1246 is 2:1 (-6dB) receiver, and dynamics reserved as well.
We don't loose headroom, in case of 4x2181 VCA's the internal impedances kept very low...
But, personally I do prefer +/-24V supply.
THAT balanced line receivers/transmitters claimed to work up to 18V, as most opamps do.
As audio boards rev.1.2 proto's will arrive and be tested at Monday, I think it is not too late to add
provision for 24->18V regulators....well, I'll sleep on this.

Igor said:
Thanx, guys.

Hey guys, just reading this thread. Did I read correctly that there will be a 1RU model to come?

Sure. Same audio PCB's, only front panel and control PCB adapted to 1RU.

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=38924.0

Same part names and BOM, same simple assembly, there will be option-adapter boards from
EDAC 15 pin to XLR's (60mm between XLR centers).
I did provision for 3-pin Molex connectors for in/out/power supply at audio board,
for wiring or test purpose.

1RU control board will be done with power supply on-board and easy connection to front panel
allowing to use different front layouts. The pricing for full boards 1RU set will be lower than
500 MixBuzz kit with hardware.

Great. Im in for a full set with metal when they become available. Thanks for doing this. Please let me know when to send payment.. I know you're busy.

Thanks!

1RU sets will be available within a month or so.
500 format sets are available now, I put you in the list, (see page 4 of this thread),
first batch(50 sets) will be shipped at first half of June, second-month later.
First batch almost reserved, but few sets are still available.

hi Igor,
i'm gathering money for my order,
so be sure it will be paid before may 15th,

thanks again for the amazing job,
Francois

@pacemaker: no hurry, there will be second batch.
@Ryake: yes. I usually ship at same order as it appears in paypal,
i.e. first paid-first shipped.
I actually need urgently only 2 PCB sets from this batch, so, there is some "spare".

Well...got proto pcb's for final layout...checking...seems good...still no errors...
Sneak preview of 1.3 layout...
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg291/diy33609/1_3_top_pcb.png
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg291/diy33609/1_3_btm_sc.png
http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg291/diy33609/1_3_btm_vca.png
(values will be silkscreened as well)...
Seems better?
:)

More-later.....

Hey Igor,

Sorry to go a little off-piste here, but what PCB software do you use? I've been wanting to put the hours/days/weeks into learning to use some good PCB layout software, and the quality of your PCBs is top-notch.

Clearly it's also down to your knowledge and skill using the software, but where time is a premium you've clearly found some software which works "with you" rather than "against you".

Cheers!

Received, updated.

@solderspongebob: I use Eagle, 4.09 crack was working fine for me some years, but about a year ago I was working with one company and they bought me full professional edition. I hate Eagle autorouter, everything except it IMHO best available today.

What will be best for you, depends what recording software you use.

For Samplitude people like me, it is Eagle.
For Protools people, I guess it is Protel:)

Eagle is good for Linux people as well. But, learning process with Eagle will take
some time, because it is different in catch than other PCB soft and their
documentation is not best. Eagle is not user-friendly, but if you use it some time,
you will never like anything else (as it for me now :)
I always use ULP's and scripts.
Eagle back-annotation is best available today, library edition is easy, and I can change
at every moment say 0805 resistor to regular 1/4W, or change to-92 layout from cbe to ebc
without changing the part, and it reflected both at pcb/schematic.

As I know from people, Eagle cracks after version 4.09 not always work good.

For beginner, I guess Sprint layout, another great Deutch program, it is very cheap
but usefull. It has no schematic editor and good only for small projects.
http://www.abacom-online.de/uk/html/sprint-layout.html
Frank at NRG AFAIK use Sprint.

IMHO, these abacom people are bit strange company.
I bought their front panel designer and found scale tool just best of all.
Just after 2 minutes I found it is absolutely useless, as it can't be converted into engrave-able file in any form! Imagine, you did the world best tool for scale design, and forgot
about somebody will export this scale in vector form!!!!
They were very kind and returned the money.

Well... back to 500mixbuzz. I receive samples of metal work within few days.
Layout is 100% OK, first batch of final version PCB's is ordered.

Hi Igor,
I would like to be in the first run,
and i will have the money tomorrow or wednesday,
so i will be able to respect the deadline may the 15th,
also my birthday is may the 13th, so maybe i deserve
to be in the first run  ?
;-)
Francois

Igor said:
IMHO, these abacom people are bit strange company.
I bought their front panel designer and found scale tool just best of all.
Just after 2 minutes I found it is absolutely useless, as it can't be converted into engrave-able file in any form! Imagine, you did the world best tool for scale design, and forgot
about somebody will export this scale in vector form!!!!
They were very kind and returned the money.

I had exactly the same experience. Potentially fantastic product... let down by stupid things.

lampas said:
I am in for one kit too.

Unfortunatelly it appear that my PayPal account won't work next few days, so I need to cancel the order  :'( 
I hope that will work in the next batch ...

@pacemaker: please pm me, I will do something special for your Birthday.
@lampas: no hurry, there will be second batch.
If some guys like to reserve the kits, I will do it for, say, 5 kits from 1st batch, just pm me.

Igor, did you manage to find out if this works on the API 600b lunchbox? I do not have the 51x version as well.

Will your BOM include links to stores where you can source the parts, I am not very good with parts hunting.

Does this have the ability to use a real sidechain insert for de-essing or ducking?

How much would this cost to fully build, so I can work out my budget?

Igor, did you manage to find out if this works on the API 600b lunchbox?

Yes, I did :)

P1030768.jpg

P1030764.jpg

Will your BOM include links to stores where you can source the parts, I am not very good with parts hunting.

Sure. I working on detailed BOM with Farnell p/nr's.
For resistors/capacitors, there are lot of possibilities, but all important parts will be with ordercodes.
Does this have the ability to use a real sidechain insert for de-essing or ducking?
No, but you can add (DIY), it is relatively easy

How much would this cost to fully build, so I can work out my budget?

Depending on....well, in range EUR160....330 plus EUR150 for pcb/hardware kit.
I based the calculation on Farnell prices. My price include shipping, as well
as I don't pay shipping for Farnell parts if I order more then EUR50.
US prices can be bit different, but in general, same.

Back