P2P Redd 47 - a few questions

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That makes a serious difference. How many resistors are there between the ca. 400V unreg voltage and the Zeners? What is the Zener voltage?
If there is only one 1K res and the zener voltage is ca. 310V, then you're dissipating 90v in it, resulting in 8W of dissipation.

index.php
My PT rectifier/ filter circuit is connected to this version without R17.  I am getting 290-300V at the top of R16 but still drawing 45mA at the top of the 8.2K plate resistor.  I will recheck my work again and report back with more voltages but I can only leave it on for so long before things get hot.  ChrisP

Sorry about the schematic, it is on page 7 of this thread  posted by earthsled.  For the purposes of testing I am just using  the power supply(schematic is on my original post) with just 2 capacitors a 1k 5w resistor and a 470k bleeder and I am not using zeners.  Since my toroid PT has many taps I am now using the 220vAC tap.  My power supply is now at 300vDC unloaded after rectification and filtering.  With the E88CC pulled I am getting about 297v at pin 1 and 6 and no voltage on any other pin at tube socket except heater ac at pin 4 and 5. I am getiing 299 volts at the top of the plate resistor. I think my tube may be bad?  Thanks for the help so far.

With current pulled through ECC88's plate resisor voltage will drop to around 160V meassured directly at the plate pin. Check if you properly connected cathode resistor and the rest of the circuit. Your current draw is around 2x higher than it should be! I think you have a problem with preamp/last tube circuit, not PSU.

AZ999 said:
With current pulled through ECC88's plate resisor voltage will drop to around 160V meassured directly at the plate pin. Check if you properly connected cathode resistor and the rest of the circuit. Your current draw is around 2x higher than it should be! I think you have a problem with preamp/last tube circuit, not PSU.
I am getting proper voltage drop across the plate resistor,  the problem I am having is excessive current draw so the plate resistor is getting way hot,  I quadruple checked everything else and the 200R cathode resistor is in properly.  I did notice that my cathode voltage is around 10 volts were the original schematic says 3.7 volts.

According to the original schematic, plate voltage should be 138 volts and cathode should be 3.7 volts.  Voltage pre plate resistor should be 290 volts with the tubes in, if I am reading the original schematic correctly.  Is this correct?  What should voltage be with tubes removed?  Is it possible that I damaged the tube by sending too high plate voltage?

I ordered another tube, is there a way to check the tube pins with the tube out with a multi-meter to determine if the tube is shorted internally?  Thanks again abbey road d enfer for all your responses,  if you are ever in Southern California let me know, I will buy you a beer(or whatever else you like to indulge in). ;) ChrisP

chrispsound said:
I ordered another tube, is there a way to check the tube pins with the tube out with a multi-meter to determine if the tube is shorted internally?
Yes. Just check in ohms mode the resistance between catode and plate. Should be infinite.
You may want to check your wiring. A short happens so easily.

You don't need software to design this type of PSU. You need 380V DC at 60mA, that means the xfmer must deliver 380Vac/1.414 under 60mAx1.414.

Sorry to bring up this question again, but I just found some conflicting info for the two-diode full wave current calculation on this page: http://www.sowter.co.uk/rectifier-transformer-calculation.htm

So, if 60mA current is needed (for a 2 ch REDD.47), should the transformer be rated at 60mAx1.414 or simply 60mA? I don't want to get a current rating too high due to the flux issues discussed earlier.

Thanks!

So, if 60mA current is needed (for a 2 ch REDD.47), should the transformer be rated at 60mAx1.414 or simply 60mA? I don't want to get a current rating too high due to the flux issues discussed earlier.

If you run 60ma on a PT rated for 60ma, that's 100%.  Not recommended.  You want to aim for 50% to guarantee a relatively cool running PT.

http://www.analogmetric.com/goods.php?id=78 This is the 100mA version, I have the 50mA version of this one, has a 18v winding that I am going to use for for phantom.  It seemed to work well with their 6SN7 pre-amp that I ordered as well, but I am a newb and have no way of testing quality, but voltages were all close to spec and the transformer did not get warm.  They seem a little shady but everything arrived from Hong Kong in a timely manner and in one piece.  Built like a tank with a nice mounting bracket and a lot of leads for prototyping.  ChrisP

earthsled said:
Sorry to bring up this question again, but I just found some conflicting info for the two-diode full wave current calculation on this page: http://www.sowter.co.uk/rectifier-transformer-calculation.htm
This is confusing because the actual mean value given by this valculator is correct, and that's what should be taken into account for the DCR related losses, but in terms of power, which is your concern I believe, the law of conservation of energy prevails. Since the DC voltage is 1.4 times the ACrms, the AC rms amps is 1.4 times the DC amps. If 380V 20mA is your starting point, you need 7.6W for B+. You need some safety margin, but a factor 2, as suggested earlier, may be somewhat excessive.
The mains xfmr in the V72 may have 20% safety margin, no more.

Thanks!
You do need a 100mA version.

Since the DC voltage is 1.4 times the ACrms, the AC rms amps is 1.4 times the DC amps.
Does the same formula hold true for both bridge (four diodes), and full-wave (two diodes with CT)?

The mains xfmr in the V72 may have 20% safety margin, no more.
Excellent! A 20% safety margin for current was exactly what I was figuring.

Thanks for your help!

earthsled said:
Since the DC voltage is 1.4 times the ACrms, the AC rms amps is 1.4 times the DC amps.
Does the same formula hold true for both bridge (four diodes), and full-wave (two diodes with CT)?
The same power formula in both cases. So, for the bridge, the voltage is 380/1.4 and the current is 60mx1.4.
For the full-wave CT, the voltage is 2x380/1.4 and the current is 1/2.60mx1.4. The actual mean current used to evaluate resistive losses is slightly higher.
There are two dimensional design parameters: the power rating, which ensures that there's enough energy transfer possible, and the current rating, which basically governs the gauge of the wire. Transformers are spec'd for resistive loading (sine current) where the power dissipation is r.I² (r is the DCR of the winding, I is the rated rms current).
With a rectifier, current is not a sinewave anymore
The problem with the calculations on the Sowter website is that they don't explain these differences, and anyway they don't mention a very important factor, which is the fact that when hitting the reservoirs, there are large current spikes, which govern the actual instant DCR loss and thence the actual output voltage. The DCr must be several times smaller than whatever of the heat dissipation or average loss calculations infers. Now it depends on the application. For a low-level app such as a preamp, the voltage can be allowed to sag, in particular with class A operation where current does not vary much, but in power applications both average and peak losses are a problem.
Finally, looking at it more deeply, I can't figure out where the 1.61 coefficient comes from. Golden number?  :-\
Maybe someone who's still fresh from school would chime in...?

Back