pro tools 11

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
etheory said:
I'm not trying to be controversial, but, seriously, why do people keep using Pro-Tools?

Easy to answer - compared to Pyramix, Sequoia and Fairlight (I have to administrate all of them) it is the most stable system, with the fewest problems regarding hardware, software and users!

most stable system
IMO that is one of the most important aspects, but it is often missed. If i puzzle at home, i can deal with problems.
If i record a band with 32 tracks, 7 different cue-mixes, 12 hours a day the aspect "stable" becomes essential.

It's a competitive market and everyone has Pro Tools
This. Reaper is not the DAW everyone is using so we - as facility/system managers - have to update it. There' not another choice.

For people comparing reaper etc, saying that they don't see what protools is better, or what it has others don't.

Well, for a start, sync. And a large choice at it, designed to integrate with huge systems where a frame lock delay needs to be set, or offsets are necessary. Machine control. EUCON (people still request ICONS as a mixing surface. Ask Top Gear's engineer if he could work at the pace he does without it). More stable. So on so on...

etheory said:
I'm not trying to be controversial, but, seriously, why do people keep using Pro-Tools?

I don't see a single free or paid alternative DAW that isn't at least as good if not equal or in a lot of cases better to it in terms of stability, feature set and ease of use.

Is it the inertia behind old purchases, clients demanding it without really knowing why, or some other reason?

I'm quite curious. Every experience I've ever had with Pro-Tools makes me happier and happier I don't have it at home.

There isn't a single alternative anywhere that does what protools does. Satellite link, video link, control surface integration and live venue sound system compatibility... It really is incredible. It's sits in a world where the bedroom basher or small studio never wander.

...that is largely who criticises protools. People who never use more than 10% of the features it offers... I would go as far to say that 90% of people who criticise it have never actually touched a HD system in the first place.

You are probably absolutely right.
As a bedroom producer, I certainly haven't used a HD system, and have no use for such features as video or satellite link, but absolutely, now I can see that for a professional studio it really is in a league of its own, and, having a job in post-production, I can see how useful it would be there also.

But thanks those who responded, it's all good stuff to learn. I've only used it in a studio context writing songs, and for that usage, it was not a positive experience, but clearly that really is only exercising 10% of the features it provides.

It does actually really irritate me that things like time-code aren't better supported in less expensive DAWs, but then again I guess bedroom producers like me don't request such features, and hence they aren't regarded as important by the developers.

The reason pro tools is so expensive is that the President of Avid makes about 4 million a year. This a combination of base salary, bonuses and iirc sales commission. 

As far as pro tools alternatives the closest I have seen do what pro tools does is Nuendo. The latest version is pretty slick but at the end of the day it's still not pro tools.

pucho812 said:
The reason pro tools is so expensive is that the President of Avid makes about 4 million a year. This a combination of base salary, bonuses and iirc sales commission.
For sure not. You know they sell other products too? In the video market?
I'm sure you do.

Pro Tools isn't expensive
(for professional users)

It's not, I agree.
Except if you need CPTK stuff, like I do, and now I'm being "forced" to updated to HD.

But I guess that'll fix the problem once and for all for me :p

If you are also owner of 2 or 3 systems, it's easy enough.

For bigger scenarios, not really.

Ohhh! Ohhh man Warpie.... ILOK is EVIL!
... worse than microsoft and apple combined

I'm not sure why I'm even bothering to post, just feeling contrarian today I guess.  I like iLok a lot and much prefer it to other proprietary copy protection schemes which vary from plug in to plug in.  Everything is in one place that I can move from machine to machine or bring with me when I work in other studios.

Now I have Waves License Center, Fabfilters pass key key, Valhalla, Sequoia on it's own key, limited authorizations (to 2) for my Sample Manager, limited auths for DDP creator.  Each has their own account, password and different way of doing things.

ruairioflaherty said:
I'm guessing that iLok is abother things that amateur users like to critique while pro users were quite happy.

Great guess... 

[silent:arts] said:
pucho812 said:
For sure not. You know they sell other products too? In the video market?
I'm sure you do.

Pro Tools isn't expensive
(for professional users)

yes. I manage over 70 Pt system and avid video systems at work in various incarnations. Upgrades at that level are costly.

warpie said:
Am I the only one who hates ilok?  ;D

The Ilok doesn't bother me and I have found it to be better then other forms of copy protection, it require the constant upgrade management that goes along with computers. Remember the old challenge response days of waves. Now that was some pain in the ass copy protection.

warpie said:
ruairioflaherty said:
I'm guessing that iLok is another thing that amateur users like to critique while pro users were quite happy.

Great guess...

I'm making a generalization of course but the level of whining on the forums about iLok has been ridiculous, here in this very thread we have an amateur user being critical of Pro Tools having never used a HD rig (no disrespect to eTheory, love what he does here).

In 10 years of using iLok I have never had a single issue, demoing software is easy and all 4 of my iloks truck along nicely.  Just last week I used my PT10 auth in a studio on the other side of the country.

I think iLok is great. It's a good product that does the job it needs to do, even if it has been hacked for a while now (unfortunately).
I store nearly all of my licenses on iLok and never have an issue with it.
Software developers need to protect themselves wherever possible against piracy, since they have families to feed too you know, and developing software isn't a free business, it costs money.
Regardless of how much you may or may not hate iLok, or you may or may not hate having to pay for licenses in general, it's an essential and well-executed system that also provides facilities like license protection and insurance that would be difficult or impossible to provide with other forms of copy protection.

Someone earlier mentioned having to buy new plugins...  Not really, the ONLY company that I'm going to wind up paying for the upgraded versions of my plugs is Waves, and I HATE them for it.  Every, and I mean EVERY other company I have plugins with the update is gratis.  But since I haven't been feeding WAVES to get my yearly "service" plan, I need to fork over close to half the cost of what the bundle I have is (now... when i bought it it was 3x the price it is now)

I've used other DAWs and I have to say I was reluctant to go to PT in the first place, but since I got my HD-Native core with the new interface, I dont regret a min of it.  And yes, it actually HAS brought new customers in the door.  PTHD, latest version, brings the fat, rich, dumb and happy people in, and they appreciate that you keep your stuff up with the times.  I have actually had a client say, why should I go to them (competitor) if they dont bother investing in their stuff.  Granted, I wouldn't place worth on this guys opinion, but I'd be willing to bet other clients have the same thought process...  When you dont have a big analog console in front of you, software and hardware are the next big thing, and actually, most of the folks I deal with probably would hate working on a LFC, especially if it didn't have total recall (with everything)  It's bad enough when i have to reset up an analog compressor with 4 knobs for the 54th mix revision. lol

Back