pro tools 11

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sr1200 said:
The cards, yes, kaput, but they were long in the tooth as it was. 

oh absolutely! the processing power of the cards was laughable and they were long due the upgrade.
Same with the interfaces IMO.

From 10-11 upgrade, I won't know if i'll be ok until I start receiving sessions.  :)

But, I have to say, the upgrade price from 10-11 seems worth it. Offline bouncing, new engine and the meters options (freaking finally!) and the HD video editing.
Just the con of the toolkits... that's... yeah....

Bottle necking - when in order to get all the options your forced into the Expensive system.  There is no reason to have any limitations in I/o support or anything else with the current crop of computers other then they want you to buy hdx cards. It's a joke that a non card system has any limitations.

My best guess is, at one time, there was validity as to the reasoning for doing this.  Now a days, yeah, there really is no reason to do it other than Avid got into the habit and built their business model around doing this in order to sell their higher end stuff.  Funny part is, (IMO) if they would de-nerf the software, more people would be apt for getting their higher end products b/c they wouldn't feel like they're buying product from the evil empire.

I do Like your thinking! ALl I hope is that someone at AVID will wake up one morning and feel the same :D

sr1200 said:
My best guess is, at one time, there was validity as to the reasoning for doing this. 

True, at one point processing power in computers was not as nearly as advanced now. But we have reached that point to where they can handle the workload. So if you ask me, it goes back to money and they want you to spend it on their product.

I've been working with Pro Tools since 7.4. I enjoy some of the features, hate some others and consider myself simply as a guy who records bands, does live sound and provides for my family doing that.

The distinction between professional/amateur user exists. The causes and implications of buying a 002 Rack for a rehearsal space and upgrading 20 HD systems in a post production facility are not the same that's for sure.

But the current limitations of I/O in Pro Tools are definitely as ridiculous as was their attempt to sell the MBox 2 micro, whoever the marketed target is. Too much change within a too short period of time doesn't seem like a good business plan and that's what AVID has been doing lately. And we haven't even touched the subject of the computer it relies on... Check the new Mac Pro that's on the way and the compatibility issues for hardware it brings with its Dark Vador look.

Simply put from my little perspective, if a tool works keep it, if it doesn't, don't. Different markets dictate different tooling obligations, but in any situation I've never witnessed Pro Tools come up with a great mix by itself. Neither does it open the door to the mixing room or open a bottle of wine for the band.

sr1200 said:
@pucho  not sure what you mean by bottle necking...  My digi002 can handle more IO than my HDio's can simultaneously.  If anything the HD is bottlenecked.

(002 could simultaneously handle 18 channels of i/o, even though the HD I/O has something like 28 available io on the analog version, you can only use any given 16 at a time)

But a HD system allows for multiple interfaces. I am running an apogee ad16x and da16x with my
HD system for 32 channels of analogue I/O and 32channels of digital I/O.

I am in the process of doubling it now (2 ad16x and 2 da16x).

Non HD and HDx versions are throttled. Limited I/O. Limited track count. Limited feature set.

Sammas said:
sr1200 said:
Non HD and HDx versions are throttled. Limited I/O. Limited track count. Limited feature set.

Sammas, I don't quite follow your statement.
HD/TDM is limited to voices, therefore track count.
Is also limited to i/p o/p (32channels max for HD1, double that for each accel card).

Exactly the same for HDX.

The interfaces are the same in terms of expandability. The same "slot" options are offered plus the internal connections, even if they are displayed in different parts.

The digilink cable carries up to 32, Hence the expansion digilink port on on 16i/o or older 96/192.

The new HDX, however, is several times more powerful. Somehow from protools 7-8 protools stopped being able to do anything useful with an HD1 card as Protools itself started hogging half of the DSP resources.

You can still expand HDX systems same way as you did with HD.
http://www.avid.com/US/products/Pro-Tools-HDX/features#Comparesystems

unless I missed your point

At work I am currently on a 7.4|HD system which will be upgraded soon to a 10/11|HDX. At home I have had many different DAW incarnations including Reaper, Traktion, Logic, Cubase, Nuendo, PTLE x.x (all of em), PT9, MOTU PCI /X/E 324/424 with 24io's & 2408's, LYNX AES16's, MBox-Pro2, AMIII, Mac, Windows.. Dedicated & Mixed-use machines...

I've been through the PT-SUX, Native is better! a couple times back-and-forth.

Gotta say that for me the "Extended automation & editing features plus things like input monitoring" in the higher end versions of PT are features I feel like I need but I guess I can work around most issues for @home projects....

Started looking into pricing out a completely new HDX system w/new mac-pro. Ughhhhh. Really need a new machine since mine (@ home) is really bogging down on a fairly "simple" mix where it used to run circles and never get tired.

Is it true that they won't be offering the CPTK style option to gain some of those features in a native / UA-Apollo16 for instance?

Thx,
jb

Gotta say that for me the "Extended automation & editing features plus things like input monitoring" in the higher end versions of PT are features I feel like I need but I guess I can work around most issues for @home projects....
I hear ya bro

Started looking into pricing out a completely new HDX system w/new mac-pro. Ughhhhh. Really need a new machine since mine (@ home) is really bogging down on a fairly "simple" mix where it used to run circles and never get tired.

Is it true that they won't be offering the CPTK style option to gain some of those features in a native / UA-Apollo16 for instance?
I'm not sure. See, AVID is offering CPTK user the option to upgrade to HD for $500USD (the price changed a few times since the initial announcement.
I can only think that surely people will be able to get PTHD and run it natively - eg no hardware - so maybe there will be a PT+CPTK, but will be called PTHD (without TDM :p
(TBH, HD systems already do that, simply replace the mixer).

My understanding is that you get a full HD Native license on your dongle (like LE w/CPTK++ some-other HDX exclusive features) with an HDX HW system so you can run the same sessions native "on your laptop or whatever". That may have changed but if I could get into a system like that right now (get 10 now plus 11 when avail) I would pay the $1k5 or whatever..

The full systems appear to be priced like they have been for a while though. $7k-$8k or whatever the basic entry fee is. Pretty affordable for a professional "individual-or-facility" if you consider living-wage revenue / earnings.

TBH, I feel like the SW is great (as long as it works reliably and stable). Best in class. I don't mind the exclusivity-based-on-cost since it keeps higher-end-exclusivity where it should be: Where there is more budget.

The other native vendors can't put their cat back in the bag. I wouldn't recommend for Avid to let it out either because democratization-of-technology apparently  isn't the answer WRT IP/creative-media-business in general and music-business specifically.

I hope Avid sticks around long-term and extended-feature-$et version$ of PT do too. I certainly don't have money to chuck out the window but also don't want the real value of these more-extended-tool-sets to be diminished.

Cheers,
jb

Just to chime in here. You can certainly use any hardware with HD or vanilla.  When you open the program, if your PT hardware isn't connected you get a choice of what device you want to use from the playback engine screen.  From what I understand with 11 you get a full 10 license as well that can be run on the same machine so that you can still use your non aax plugins.  Depending on what kind of I/O you need, you might want to look into a Native card with a UAD instead of the HDX card (which is the way I went).  A lot less than the HDX+interface and I've yet to make the machine break a sweat.

sr1200 said:
Just to chime in here. You can certainly use any hardware with HD or vanilla.  When you open the program, if your PT hardware isn't connected you get a choice of what device you want to use from the playback engine screen.  From what I understand with 11 you get a full 10 license as well that can be run on the same machine so that you can still use your non aax plugins.  Depending on what kind of I/O you need, you might want to look into a Native card with a UAD instead of the HDX card (which is the way I went).  A lot less than the HDX+interface and I've yet to make the machine break a sweat.

yes depneding on what you need sync wise an hd native license with 2 X apollo 16's might be the way to go

Installed PT 11 native (w/PT 10.3.6) on Friday and everything is working well. PT 10 sessions open in PT 11 and use less system resources. So far, so good!

not for me.
Yes it runs, and seems lighter than before, BUT

sync is not working. video is out of sync on our production facilities and when clocked externally
this is actually acknowledged by avid.

WTF! how do you release a software that does not to external sync?

Some other bugs playing back video. Other than that, fine.....

Other than the fact I can't actually o/p sound ....

Fuck

Glad I have several systems and a few backups.

[silent:arts] said:
I even never try a dot0 version, unless I get paid for it  ;D

that is the case. I need to give my professional opinion on the upgrade timeframe for all UK systems in our company

jplebre said:
Sammas said:

Sammas, I don't quite follow your statement.
HD/TDM is limited to voices, therefore track count.
Is also limited to i/p o/p (32channels max for HD1, double that for each accel card).

Exactly the same for HDX.

The interfaces are the same in terms of expandability. The same "slot" options are offered plus the internal connections, even if they are displayed in different parts.

The digilink cable carries up to 32, Hence the expansion digilink port on on 16i/o or older 96/192.

The new HDX, however, is several times more powerful. Somehow from protools 7-8 protools stopped being able to do anything useful with an HD1 card as Protools itself started hogging half of the DSP resources.

You can still expand HDX systems same way as you did with HD.
http://www.avid.com/US/products/Pro-Tools-HDX/features#Comparesystems

unless I missed your point

Perhaps my poor english - With "non HD and HDx versions" I was implying versions of protools that aren't HD nor HDx.

You know, "Non HD and HDx versions!"
Rather than "Non HD, and HDx versions"

:eek:

;D

Back