Swivel stand-adapter

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is looking good gang! Hopefully Dandeurloo can chime back in here soon on next steps. In the meantime, it looks like we've got roughly 25 requests and keep 'em coming as likely the price comes down the greater the number Dan can go to Latch Lake on.

Hope your holiday season is getting underway well all.

Mike

Steph.B said:
If I remember correctly the swivel mount WITHOUT binder connector would be less than 100$

I would need 5 of them please.
My understanding is these will *not* have the binder connector! (Being that they cost in the $30-40 range for the connector alone!)

I heard back from Dandeurloo; he's getting in touch with LL but hasn't heard back; it may be due to the holiday. He feels we have enough interest to negotiate price with them. Yay!

Phrazemaster said:
bruce0 said:
Interested in the mount if it works for the Riggler/Tskguy body
Yes that's the idea. It's not M49/50 specific; it will use a binder (which you have to buy separately).

So are you saying the swivel connector will somehow attach to the binder connector on the cable?  Or will the swivel connector "BE" the cable end connector and attach via the binder screw mount?

I searched and went to the various links and there is no actual "group buy feeler" anywhere, but there are several pictures some of which have cables built in. 

Found no references on the latch site.

Sorry if I am being thick.

bruce0 said:
Phrazemaster said:
bruce0 said:
Interested in the mount if it works for the Riggler/Tskguy body
Yes that's the idea. It's not M49/50 specific; it will use a binder (which you have to buy separately).

So are you saying the swivel connector will somehow attach to the binder connector on the cable?  Or will the swivel connector "BE" the cable end connector and attach via the binder screw mount?

I searched and went to the various links and there is no actual "group buy feeler" anywhere, but there are several pictures some of which have cables built in. 

Found no references on the latch site.

Sorry if I am being thick.
Hi Bruce, you're not being thick at all. I apologize this isn't a proper "feeler" thread; I wanted to get this going and I asked Dandeurloo about setting up a proper feeler but he just posted in here and I didn't want to overstep my bounds, especially since he's the one with the latch lake contact. So I just posted here, which so far has been enough for him to feel he can talk numbers with LL.

I can't vouch for the price quoted in the thread below, but even at that price it's less than 1/2 from what a "proper" M49 mount is going for, and in some cases, 1/5. We'll know numbers after Dan hears back from LL. Also, I see no reason this couldn't be used for any mic that has a binder connector.

I am posting some other quotes from other threads about this, although the best link is now broken :(. Hopefully this answers questions.

Thanks,

Mike

From Dandeurloo in another thread:
dandeurloo said:
I spoke to Latch Lake and they said they could do them for 100 each.  If we could get a good number of people interested in them we could possibly get a group buy on them.  Let me know if you guys are interested in going down that road.

They are the same swivel mounts that are used on the Lucas mics. 

They would ship with a lever type handle instead of the Neumann type shown.

latchlake.JPG

From JB in another thread:
0dbfs said:
I'll add my comments:

1.  How is the mount actually fastened to the mic?  It looks like the Binder connector threaded ring holds the connector body on the mic (as usual), and the Latch Lake mount just grips the connector body with three set screws.  (I see three threaded holes in the Latch Lake mount).  If so, is this sufficiently secure?  Or is the mount internally threaded to screw onto the connector body, replacing its thin outer shell?  I just want to be sure the mechanical attachments are robust.

The female binder-connector (mic-end of the cable) is connected and secured into the swivel mount via the set-screws. You need to pull the cable through the swivel and build it up as a permanent part of the cable. After you're done you'll have some parts left over from the original connector shell which are being replaced by the LL swivel "shell".

The aluminum "outer sleeve" screws onto the mic-body (body needs to be threaded properly for this) and brings the female part of the binder up into the body nice and tight.

On these bodies it looks like we will have a threaded male binder-connector screwed to the bottom of the mic. Two screws then hold that whole assembly together.

2.  Is some sort of grommet or sleeve provided to protect the cable exiting through the oval hole in the mount?  It looks like the sharp edge of the machined hole might eventually cut the cable jacket.

The female binder connector comes with the sleeve to protect the cable. The edges of the hole are rounded so it's "soft" to the sleeve. Edges are not sharp and hard.

3.  How is the swivel joint constructed to prevent slippage?  Are the faces machined with radial serrations of some sort?  How tight does the screw have to be tightened to grip the center tenon?  I think I would prefer a split knuckle with two similar halves like the Telefunken design.
Not sure but it's nice and tight. There are various screws and things to tighten up so that the mount is rigid and robust but if it's anything it is robust.

4.  Is the Latch Lake mount available in a bead-blasted nickel finish to match the Riggler/tskguy M-49 bodies or does it have the darker Lucasite finish?  The photo looks like nickel, but I'm not sure.
That depends on Jeff but if we had enough commitments to purchase on a dedicated run I don't see why he would be opposed to a custom finish or even a DIY finish where they just do the machining. Not sure but I wouldn't be averse to anything bringing the price down.

I've used originals on many mic's and just this one from LL. I'll buy them again and don't see why they would not last a couple lifetimes.

Cheers,
jb

A pic installed:
http://www.gearslutz.com/board/attachments/high-end/326036d1358469435-lucas-cs4-everything-id-hoped-moovox.jpg

Yes, I meant without the binder, modified my post, sorry !

This swivel mount looks really good, maybe we could pimp it a bit, both aesthetically and mechanically by replacing the plastic end sleeve with some nice metal coil ?

Like this :
U47-Swivel_lg.jpg

What do you think ?

Phrazemaster said:
I think that's cool Steph; I'm just not sure what LL is able/willing to do...But it's neat!

I think we can do it ourselves (DIY...), maybe putting the "expanded" part inside so the coil won't fall out.

Now we need to find the right part, shouldn't be very difficult, it's just a coil of wire.

Done some searching.... found some similar, but not as easy as you might think.

Often called cable strain reliefs....

Searches for various combinations of:

Metal Spiral spring Sleeve Guard Cable Strain Relief

Do an image search in google on "spring cable strain relief" and that works pretty good.

Metal Spiral Sleeve also works pretty good! But gets nice little dresses instead of cable strain reliefs... the trials of modern life ::)

Nice fine wire spring would be nice, but the Binder cable end already comes with a plastic sleeve for this function.  Why cant we spec the Latch Lake product to be drilled or machined to accept the Binder strain relief (so we can buy two parts and be done with a good solution).

Binder strain relief is visible on connector at http://www.binder-usa.com/products/partsdetail/88563.

Note that while wire might be durable, retro and very nice it also might be a source of noise (sproing..oing...!!! ) or a good coupler of noise from the cable.  So the requirements for the spring are specific, and the metal to metal contact contemplated is potentially problematic

Latest posts

Back