Your DIY Project - 2007

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never really have much of a plan... when it comes to DIY, I never let myself work on more than two projects at a time. And right now, I'm just working on my G7. I like to get to obssessed with something and go start to finish and not get distracted. Having said that, the Forssell opto is next on my list !!! I've got some racking jobs lined up, but the first DIY I do for myself will be the Forssell. :thumb:

Whew, where to start :wink:

another 2x LAzy2a's,
Stereo GPultec,
Reddy 47 pre x 4
Hopefully 'ave a go at Analags beast - if it gets released,
1073's, 1081's, 1176's,
learn to use my pantograph engraver,

the list goes on............

neriks Posted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:02 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will try to complete the analogue mixing console I'm currently building using my own interpretation of the Neve 1073 circuitry.
very nice site bro !, how much for the ten73 kits ? drool...... :guinness:

Steve :thumb:

If i can find the time......

8 channels of silicon micpre.

8 into 2 vacuum summing box.

Its to cold in the woodshop now, but when summer comes ill try to finish this too;

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=16379&highlight=bolt

If i can find the time.....

My 2007 DIY projects are pretty basic:

* I'd like to finish my basement (insulate, drywall, electrical)
* 100 kW 3-phase brushless DC motor drive - essentially a 3-channel class-D power amplifier that puts out 300A at around 400V on each output.
* Another Altec 436C/UA175-like tube compressor
* Record more with the gear that I've already built

-Dale

Next year, I are be mostly stuffing these..

brd.jpg

Dale

What are you going to drive with the MOTOR drive?

IGBJTs?

FWIW I was testing a AC600 ABB drive for a 100HP 3 phase motor. It exploded the SCR diode modules when it powered up the output section. I was behind a wall and the drive was in a metal cab. The explostion blew out the vents in the cab and there were small metal balls from the molten metal in the cab it sounded like a shotgun.

Be careful

Make me wonder about hybrid cars they might not be safe.

Peter...

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Holy crizznap!!!

That's a fine looking PCB ya got dere boy!

Aargh... -If I hadn't sworn my new project to secrecy, I'd post some sneak-preview pics of hardcore-DIY which rival Rowan's (analag's) recent efforts... but you'll have to wait...

I can tell you that -like Rowan's, it does look pretty home-made so far, but it's something I've NEVER seen anyone DIY taking this approach to anything like this degree...

Stay tuned, won't you!

Peter

'Av a smoke, ferfuxsake!'

:wink:

:green:

guiness1.gif

Keef

Sontec MEP250 "like" EQ
* 4 channels
* LMF and HMF bands only w/ switchable shelf
* JLM99V opamps

API 553 "like" EQ
* 500 series footprint
* 3 HF choices
* 3 LF choices
* 6 MF choices
* Profile out TX
* undecided input TX
* not sure which opamps I'll use till I test

[quote author="Gus"]Dale
What are you going to drive with the MOTOR drive?
Make me wonder about hybrid cars they might not be safe.[/quote]

Well, I have a pair of electric vehicle motors that are really quite nice, but the drive units were not. They liked to blow up. The previous owner ran them with a 170 volt battery pack, but with 200V MOSFET's in the drive, it blew up often. A 30 volt margin isn't enough for inductive spikes.

SCR drives are somewhat problematic - the IGBT's are much nicer. With an SCR, if the commutation circuit doesn't resonate just right, they stay on. When they stay on - or false trigger - the drive blows up convincingly. IGBT's will blow up too, and in just as spectacular of a fashion. But the ways to make them stay together are much better known now, and I think it's much rarer to have a problem. Plus, if you turn the signal off, an IGBT has a habit of staying off. Many of the IGBT's include self-protected drivers to prevent such explosions - most of the time.

Yea, drives blow up occasionally, but so do engines - especially some of those nitromethane-powered dragsters. Impressive when a blower belt falls off and the engine is left scattered down 1320 feet. I wouldn't be afraid of a hybrid (or electric vehicle drive). Actually, I'm more scared of the gasoline section of a hybrid vehicle, to be quite honest, than the electric part.

-Dale

Will definately be finishing the following:

6 Neve 1272 channels (need output iron to finish)

4 drip electronic LA-2As (2 almost done)

6 g1176 (should be done with 4 in a week or so)

1 G9

4 baby animals

2 gssl (1 almost done)

1 dual pultec

1 g pultec

label faceplate for my quad RCA BA 71C

finish building for new studio, the concreted foundation is finished. It's a start.

Hopefully I'll finish all of the above before starting more projects.

Well in order to make myself feel a bit better I need to reflect on my personal accomplishments in DIY in 2006, not including the racking jobs for others etc.

2 x Neve 1272's
2 x Spectra Sonics 101's (Racking)
2 x FETBoy's
2 x JLM Animal Pres
4 x Green Pre's
1 x GSSL
1 x 1176

Stuff to complete in 2007, 90% there

1 x LA-2A, just waiting for the Sowters, a cap and the case
2 x Canil R312's (Fabio's API's) just waiting for Fabio's case to rack them

New stuff for 2007

2 x Pultec Clones
Passive Summing
Rack the same ADM Eq's that AP has to rack

I plan to slow down on the gear building side and the BIGGEST job for next year it to build and open a commercial studio... daunting, scary, but rewarding.

Spending the first few months of 2007 in the USA interning/assisting in a Nashville based studio.

I hope to in the course of next year pick up a 500 series rack and do some DIY, between Peter P's EQ's and Comps, Peter C's 3 designs I think I will be covered (What is it with Peter's and 500 series!)

Cheers

Matt

Latest posts

Back