Your DIY Project - 2007

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really hope 2007 is my last DIY intense year. I finished 12 projects, 3 in work now, 5 more to do next year. I bought all the things I really needed to do a good job (Lavry DAC, Cranesong HEDD and Avocet, digital FX, analog tape recorder, things I can't build myself).
If I finish all my projects I will dedicate all my time to music.
But will still hang out with you here.

I still have to build the big mastering console, a varimu comp, a digital controlled inductor EQ, transformerless transparent mic preamp, MS matrix box, tube mics.

chrissugar

My main DIY project this winter will be a pair of Helios Type 69 pres but first I have to build a coil winder so I can make the big inductors for the lovely passive EQ. Once the weather warms up (around April) I'll be back in the (unheated) studio. Despite completely insulating the roof and building a huge cathedral roof bass trap, it is still bloody cold out there even with 2x3KW electric heaters going full stretch. Think I might get myself a nice wood burning stove in there for next winter.

ian

Dale I guess I was not clear. The drive uses toshiba IGBJTs they were fine. The SCR/diodes are for the 3 phase AC to DC bridge for 690VDC

Good luck with the Drive DIY

HI!

First I have to do a good monitor box to my studio. Then I'll probably do couple of my compressor design which consist of jfet and opto gain reductions elements. It also has a very powerfull feedback/feedforward -knob. Very crazy sounding compressor. Great for drums.

I'd also like to do a diode-bridge-compressor based on 33609 but with modern sidechain with opamps and only one transformer on "middle-stage".

The hardest thing to me is to concentrate to only one project at the time because I have dozens of all kinds of crazy ideas in my head.

Happy holidays!

[quote author="chrissugar"]I still have to build the big mastering console, a varimu comp, a digital controlled inductor EQ, transformerless transparent mic preamp, MS matrix box, tube mics.

chrissugar[/quote]

Did some of those already.

analag

Plans, as they are at the moment - the list always tend to "grow"...

On the workbench right now there are parts for three preamp/EQ:s based on the 1073 design.

All parts are ordered for four 1176 units.

Next will be four LA2A:s, two of them hardwired and two PCB-based (some parts are already on the way in).

After that there will be a couple of tube based preamps/channel strips, still have not decided what design.

Another one will be a G9 based microphone.

Those are the audio related projects.

And in addition to that there will, as usual, be a number of "helping-others-projects" with their builds and broken gear...

Hey Rowan

Thank you, but I'm not brave enough to start something like your big varimu comp. Probably something more simple like an RCA or Gates based comp. :grin:

chrissugar

I'm intending to make a Pultec clone and a Redd 47 later in 2007.

Before that I need to re-rack(with better power supply) an RCA Ba1a and an RCA Ba11a.

Then I need to rack a UA1016 line amp coupled with a passive UTC eq.

Then I'll rack a pair of V74's, a pair of Sphere EQ920's, a pair of Spectra Sonic 101 mic pre cards, a pair of Sphere M1200 cards, a pair of RCA 71b modules, a pair of Telefunken W395 eq's, a pair of Neumann W491 eq's and a filtek MK3 eq, oh yeah and I got a pair of Cinema Engineering 4031 passive eq's with no front face plates, gotta make the face plates for them as well.

Ohh ohhh, almost forgot, got a Siemens U273 to rack as well!

Other than that I don't have a damn thing to do in 2007!!!!

wowie pete :guinness:

sure looks good , old bean :wink:

Keefie - looking forward to seeing the 'top secret ' work,

oh, also forgot - DIY H**H press ( H**H, sounds like Mash :wink: )

mmmmmmmmmmm :thumb:

You do not have time my goatie friend to play around with double zero italian pasta flour meshes (use that excuse if you get caught) as you will be doing stuff for me all year

uk03878 Posted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:23 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You do not have time my goatie friend to play around with double zero italian pasta flour meshes (use that excuse if you get caught) as you will be doing stuff for me all year

Nice one Sim :wink:

Hope you've had a good one, let me know what you want, I'll get crackin'

Steve :thumb:

I might actually do this balanced PSU for the studio supply. One big toroidal transformer powering up the studio. And this hybrid summing box thing I've been thinking about for awhile. (16) input through transformer to IC to tube summing amp to output transformer.

Will I do it.... maybe not.

analag

I have too much stuff planned.
I'm happy for anything which get's finished.

- Curetronic modular synth (almost completed, only jacks, pots, switches missing and unfortunately that is the part of the work I totally dislike)
- 2 x Gssl with Thrust-Sidechain-PCB (need to test the prototype to start a groupbuy) [Waiting for VU meters to arrive]
- 2 x Calrec EQ (Waiting for myself to finish the Re-Design of the PCBs :oops:)
- Dual G1176
- Acidcode ML-303 v6
- introspective 9090
- 4 x Forssell opto compressor (waiting for the DOAs and the case from Purusha)
- Diverse modular synth stuff (from MOTM, MFOS, Papareil, ...)

I hope that I'll manage it to finish some of the stuff in 2007 (at least Curetronic, Gssl, Calrec & ML-303 v6).

Back