(newbie) Ordering Parts

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it possible that you distinguish Green Pre builders with nice sounding piece of preamp do have a part list with part number to your local dealer or where you bought your parts? I don?t mean a BOM, more of a list where I can see exactly what part you have used by searching for it with part number on your dealers webpage. Then look for it at my local dealer. You can PM me, mail me or why not putting it here?

...or else (or both) I have some questions about Green Pre Parts. I?m looking and buying for 4 Swedish guys (14 channels) and I want it to be as good as possibly BUT not to expensive (don't we all ;-).

Capacitors
  • I've heard Wima are good, the polyester kind (MKS2). I found green Wima Polypropylene (FKP2) cheaper (half the price) and more accurate (5% tolerance IF that is important?), the 10 pieces of MKS02 (0.1 uF) needed even have 20% tolerance. What is your suggestion here, the sounding is important of course?
  • The 150pF can't be found as MKS2, is it best to use a ceramic or polypropylene (FKP2)?
  • The 22pF, which I don't find in any Wima brand at any of the places I've searched. Should I take BCE-SUD Low-K (the only one with a black top that often says in this forum) or AVX NPO (AVX is half the price of BCE-SUD)? Any other suggestion?
  • Rubycon is often mentioned as electrolytic brand, the YXF-series. Why is that? Price? Quality? Especially good for studio-DIY? Is the MS-series a good alternative if I can?t get hold of YXF? How about Panasonics lytics? Other good brands/series?
IC
  • - Texas is the one and only for the IC:s I reckon. Its easy to find BUT which one of the different kinds I found or does it really don?t matter?
    - NE5532P or AP
    - TL074 ID or CD or CN or ACN
    - LM339 PW or D or M or N or AN
  • For the transistors I found Fairchild and OM, comments? Others?
  • Diodes I found Fairchild and Philips, comments Others?
Misc.
  • 10K LOG pot, how important is the quality of it, does any signal goes through it? Tolerance? Wattage?
  • It's the same question for the trimmers, how important is the quality of it, does any signal goes through it? tolerance? wattage?
  • The Molex-connectors....what exact part number please...I have searched about an hour just to get the right one without finding it.
This is how far I got so far in the BOM, but I surely will come back with new questions.....hoping for many answers.

I have been searching digikey for the parts to build my other six channels of green V14. I've hit a snag or three:

Digikey does not stock the BC550 transistors. I would have to order 2000 of them, at a price of around 190 bucks. Anyone know a good place to find these?

For the BC560, they range in 1, 2 or 3 watts, with a choice of 560 ohms or 560K ohms. Which should I use?

Also, if I'm not planning on using the leds for metering at all, can I just omit them? As well, can I omit the trimmers? I understand I still need a trimmer for the CMRR, but do I need the other two? If I don't use these trimmers, do I have to jumper where their leads would be, or just leave them off the boards?

I'm a total noob, so this may sound obvious to some of you, but I just don't want to scew anything up (even though that's sometimes the best way to learn...)

Cheers,
Jacob

Hey Jacob,

Just leave it all off... You don't need it.

I've done a drawing for you, just leave off all the parts in the yellow block if you don't need the metering section.

MeterParts.jpg

Hope it helps...

Matt

oh man, that's all metering, eh?

Okay, so if i'm not using the leds, do I have to remove all that stuff, or can I just omit the leds.

see i have 2 built already, and am building six more, so i just need to know if it's bad to have that stuff on if I'm not connecting the leds

Jacob

[quote author="headphono audio"]I have been searching digikey for the parts to build my other six channels of green V14. I've hit a snag or three:

Digikey does not stock the BC550 transistors. I would have to order 2000 of them, at a price of around 190 bucks. Anyone know a good place to find these?

For the BC560, they range in 1, 2 or 3 watts, with a choice of 560 ohms or 560K ohms. Which should I use?
[/quote]

Mouser sells the BC and BD series transistors. Get them on cut tape (xxxxx-CTA ot similar part #) and they're cheaper. Get 50 or 100 of each and they're really cheap. I think the BC560 you see at Digikey is a resistor--not what you want...

A P

Latest posts

Back