what mic pre should i build?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Svart

ok, before someone says "read________" I've been trying to read up on all the different types of mic pres everybody is building, but my spare time is limited to a few minutes here and there during the day and almost no time to read when i get home. I would like to start a pair of mic pres for my overheads and a pair for acoustic guitar specifically. I would like the overheads to be clean but warm and the acoustic to be warm but coloration is good/tolerable. any suggestions? everyone has an opinion i see, and i would love to listen to every single option out there and make my mind up but that isn't going to happen :cry: so i'll have to take your words for it! I am also working on a pre based on the THS6012 with either an opa2134 buffer or JFET buffer when i get some time. I saw a page once where someone made this for headphones and said that it rocked but i lost the link. anybody know how this would compare to any of the discrete or other pres?

thanks!
:guinness:

One that uses 12-0-12V transformers! :green:

I'm partial to the sound of discrete gear myself. I'd do an A*P*I 312.

:thumb: :thumb:

well... that's a loaded question! I would say i would have to balance quality vs. price in the long run. nothing too crazy though, please! i have lots and lots of parts at my disposal so I'm not sure what I would have to spend in the first place. i would prefer something simple just so i can try to integrate into my existing console without using external boxes.

thanks!

You could try out the new green pre?

It would be easy to make mulitple channels of green pre and for selfish reasons I would love to know how they sound. :grin:

that is one of the ones i was thinking about. I read a lot about "depth", "clarity" and those types of buzz words. I want something along those lines.. :green: I'm not sure how different that would sound since i've never had the chance to hear any of these DIY pres i am reading about. anyone have samples?

... can I jump in here ??

DIY
do it yourself

.. this is a big topic with many issues and reasons for being into DIY.

As a first project or even a 10th project there is a number of things to watch for.
Safety
Ability to complete the project
Long term value of the project
Learning
Cost effectiveness

I'll take the last one first.
Cost effectiveness is simple ... If there is an A or B unit that will perform just as well for half the cost them perhaps you should look to another project and just buy the above unit.
Also cost effectiveness may relate to the current value of the unit to your working practices right now and this in turn might relate to the long term value of the project.

I think the others explain themselves.

Even though I do like the Kev-pre and think it has value with either of the chip options SSM2017/2019 or INA217 ... It is perhaps too close to many of the budget units out there and also the Mic input of the 001 is a 2017
SO
I think there might be better choices.

The Green-Pre is my favourite first time unit. As a dual you just can't go wrong.
A Gain Block Mic-pre is a little more expensive but with many options and may end up being your all time favourite unit. (See the JLMx project for a good example of this)
A simple tube-pre like Lulu the Space Cat's or the more complex G9 with a quality PCB.

Three very different choices and all are very worthy units.

Oh i've been a soldering like a fiend! only it's for work, not my simple pleasures.. I've just been trying to gather as much info as possible before i either continue on with a true DIY pre or build something that is already established and tested. I think i'll wait for the green pre pcbs for now.

thanks! :thumb:

If you think it should work in studio's or so , no moving things , then use tube , a lot of nice design are out there or look at gyraf at there site.

If you need to move a lot with the it , then use something solidstate.
Have just seen the new layout of the Amek2500 that is in this site somewhere.

Nah, build this:

pree2.jpg

Okay, it's kinda dirty but it really does work. :twisted:

I'm sure it does work but apart from breadboarding it or using this for something very specific .... like ... talkback or perhaps even elect guitar with a 57 ...

a more general purpose Mic-pre with phantom and a balance out is probably a better option.

The Green-pre still stacks up as one of the best in my opinion. It brings together a few simple concepts with a nifty gain/headroom/cmr thing in just a few active components.

The two transistors and single opamp followed by the single opamp for drive.

A dual Green in a single rack is just too useful not to have one.

definately ... even so
these ultra simple circuits can work a treat if tailored to suit your needs.

One fellow use the Green but threw most of it away and linked past all the passive stuff at the front end.
The ouput was also changed to suit his needs.

Uses it only with a specific dynamic mic and his voice for voice over stuff.

Must you mod the console pre-amps. I do like to use externals and devote the desk to line return and monitoring. Improve the components in the desk is cool but trying to retro fit mic-pre boards in could be more trouble than it's worth.
The Green is probably too big to uses as is for this job. :sad:

i recently posted a thread about stuffing a ssm2019 on a tiny smd protoPCB(maybe 1.5"x1") and hanging some wires off of it. i double side taped it to a bare spot on the channel pcb. ran the wires and it works pretty well! slightly different sound than my other pres so i'll keep it and mod another channel like it.

:thumb:

Back