Mic Loading Confusion

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would try if I had some ribbon mic... May be to try to build one from computer winchester magnets and kitchen foil to experiment? :green:

> kitchen foil to experiment?

Awful thick, heavier than air.

Peel the foil from cigarette packs.

There's a knack to peeling. Some brands are easier than others. If you just can't, try soaking the paper off.

Note that there are some stunningly low-price ribbons now. As you say, modern magnets make it easier. Bending iron and winding transformers is low-wage stuff.

[quote author="PRR"]> kitchen foil to experiment?

Awful thick, heavier than air.

Peel the foil from cigarette packs.

There's a knack to peeling. Some brands are easier than others. If you just can't, try soaking the paper off.

Note that there are some stunningly low-price ribbons now. As you say, modern magnets make it easier. Bending iron and winding transformers is low-wage stuff.[/quote]

Thanks!

Do you mean something like this one?

apex2051.jpg

Or this one?

apex2151.jpg

clintrubber said:
[quote author="Wavebourn"]
Hey, hadn't seen that second one yet.

That one has a double ribbon arrangement; the two ribbons are side by side. I've seen it used in another inexpensive ribbon mic with a single ribbon transformer so the output impedance was pretty high (just below 1k). Can be nice in front of a guitar amp, but the other China ribbons are more universally useful.

[quote author="Rossi"]That one has a double ribbon arrangement; the two ribbons are side by side. I've seen it used in another inexpensive ribbon mic with a single ribbon transformer so the output impedance was pretty high (just below 1k). Can be nice in front of a guitar amp, but the other China ribbons are more universally useful.[/quote]
Thanks Rossi for the info :thumb: Hadn't seen Apex-'incarnations' before.

Cheers,

Peter

[quote author="Rossi"]
That one has a double ribbon arrangement; the two ribbons are side by side. I've seen it used in another inexpensive ribbon mic with a single ribbon transformer so the output impedance was pretty high (just below 1k). Can be nice in front of a guitar amp, but the other China ribbons are more universally useful.[/quote]

May be good also as a center mic for stereo recording in nice reverberating environments.

Latest posts

Back