Hairball Audio, LLC - DIY Kits and Components. HairballAudio.com

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@jandoste
Thanks!  It'll ship first thing Monday.

@jsteiger
Thanks for reminding me about the avatar!  Done!

@everyone else
I also forgot to mention Peter Purpose LA3A 500 series transformer bundles should be in stock in early January.  At that point I'll have a 1108 transformer bundle.

Mike

Time in transit?

USPS Priority is estimated at 6-10 days.
USPS Express is estimated at 3-5 days.

That said, both of these methods are subject to customs delays and your local mail service.

If you want it guaranteed in 2-3 days you're better off spending the money for UPS, FED EX or DHL.

Mike

funkymonksf said:
Hey Mike,

When do plan on getting Blue Stripe cases back in stock?

Thanks,
Brice

I've just updated the stock as there was an error.  I actually have 6 in stock right now.

I also have more bluestripe and blackface enclosures coming in early January.

Mike

Hi All,

The EA-5002's and kits are in stock.

I'm low on enclosures but will have more in about 3 weeks (Bluestripe and Blackface).

Mike

Any word on the 2-1176 Rev D kits with Dan's 2-1176 enclosure?  I'm interested in one of those ASAP FWIW.  Should make a fine addition to the Blue Stripes  :D

Hey,

I really just need to order custom knobs and that is it.  I think the rotary's are stocked by mouser, if not I'll order some of those.

It's just a matter of putting a bundle together in the store software once I get the knobs.  That will be about 8 weeks probably.

If there is a demand I can make a "knobless" bundle now.  You could source your own knobs, order the custom knobs when they arrive, or just use the small 1176 knobs on the site.

Mike

Hi All,

I've added a "Technical Documents" Section to the site.

http://hairballaudio.com/shop/techdocs.php

Here you will find links and soon PDF help documents about Hairball stuff and DIY in general.  I've kicked it off by adding MNATS new jaw dropping 1176 wiring guide for the Hairball enclosure.  It's really well done and has a lot of info about DIY in general.

Thanks all!

Mike

PS: If you want a 1176 kit w/ enclosure before mid January, you should hop on it now. They are going fast.

Do you have the rotary switch PN's or Mouser PN's?  Also - is there a definitive wiring guide for the rotary switch Rev D's that's current?

Will the SA3A type knobs you offer fit on the 2-1176 - or would the Hairball Attack/Release type knobs be a better fit?  I'm pretty sure I'd be using Dan's panel and case.

Is there any discount for a "knobless" 2-1176 kit versus buying 2x Rev D bundles?  And I'm amusing I'll need to get the Chassis/Panel from Dan - or do you have these in stock or coming in soon?

I'd love to buy this ASAP - so if there is any way to invoice me or to put up the temporary bundle you spoke of - I'll buy one today assuming I can get the switches and a descent (AND CURRENT) wiring guide.  Otherwise I can wait until everything is in order.

Let me know what's possible...

Thanks so much Mike/Hairball!  The Blue Stripes are kicking ass and taking names all over my tracks!

8)

Hey,

Rotary switch PN# - Still need to nail this down, but probably:
Ratio Mouser Part: 105-SR2921F-25S (for slam mode)
Meter Mouser Part: 105-13574
*Still need to confirm*

Rotary wiring guide - I won't be making one, but it's very similar to the pushbutton version.  I can make a list of the differences.

SA2A Knobs as 2-1176 Knobs - They are too big for Dan's layout.  

Bundle - You don't want to buy 2 regular kits because you don't need the push switches, knobs or extra power transformer.

You'll get the case from Dan.

More to come!

Mike

Mike & ED

WE WANT EA1173 (ungapped) and EA31267 (line) !!!!! added to the lineup

ETA ?

to the two guys requesting the line in and ungapped out... i'm working on the line in, but it is still a ways off.  i hadn't even considered doing the ungapped output, but i'll start thinking about it now.  have you tried the lo1166 type in an AC coupled circuit and you're unhappy with the performance?  or you just want the ungapped part for accuracy's sake?

consider that mike has sold less than 10 of the 10468 type mic inputs, and i think you can see why the line input has not been a priority for me.  i really enjoy figuring these transformers out, but if noone is using them, it hardly seems worth it to get them made.  i still haven't actually seen anyone use the 10468 or lo1166 type in a build.

anyway, i'll keep working on the neve iron, but don't expect rapid progress.  i have other things in the works as well...

ed

I suspect that Frank is looking for iron for something like the 33609 limiter which uses the ungapped LO1166 variant or perhaps the TG limiter project. I have successfully used your LO1166 in my 33609 and it sounds great in that function, albeit with some compromises on the gain staging/panel markings side of the design because of the additional gain from the LO1166 transformer vs the original.

Ed, I have actively employed your iron whenever possible and will continue to do so because of the excellent result and cost effectiveness of your designs. Excellent job as always, hat's off.

I suspect once word gets around that you're doing the N* type transformers that Mike will end up selling more of them.

Mark

For cabling what types would anyone recommend from Mouser, anyone had good/bad experiences.  Was reading the tech docs and that's one ting I've overlooked!

Back