tube 414 revisited

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
REV B - Note: This is a work in progress-not a real schematic.
Still needs a pwr. supply and other goodies.

414.jpg

[quote author="Martin B. Kantola"]Where is the cathode connected?[/quote]

I was wondering the same. I'd be guessing it should be connected directly to one of the XLR pins to find its way to a cathode resistor.

A 1 gig cathode to G1?

The cathode resistor, output cap and transformer can be in the power supply to save room inside the microphone.

http://twin-x.com/groupdiy/displayimage.php?pid=2680&fullsize=1
I would use a lin 1meg pot instead of a 5 way

connections
B+
cathode out
heater voltage
pattern control voltage
ground

Any shield connections in the microphone or power supply case?

gus is correct as the mic output transformer is in the PSU case. I suspect had he really wanted to, he could have put the mic transformer in the mic. hmmmm.

I'll make of a schematic of the psu today and maybe that will answer the rest of the questions.

I double checked the schematic today and it appears correct as that is what is in the mic and how it is wired.

[quote author="pucho812"]I double checked the schematic today and it appears correct as that is what is in the mic and how it is wired.[/quote]

Cathode has got to go somewhere, to ground if nothing else... But then the bias doesn't make sense... Hmm...

Martin

[quote author="Martin B. Kantola"][quote author="pucho812"]I double checked the schematic today and it appears correct as that is what is in the mic and how it is wired.[/quote]

Cathode has got to go somewhere, to ground if nothing else... But then the bias doesn't make sense... Hmm...

Martin[/quote]

you guys are good. Talk about missing something. :oops: After a third glance. I saw it. Because things were so cramped inside it was hard for me to see what was connected and where. You can see that in the original photos. So I updated the schematic of the mic portion. The cathode goes out to pin2 on the 6 pin XLR

here is the updated schematic

royertube414mic-1.jpg

Don't worry, we had your back like a Sealy Posterpedic.

OK, how does this look?
I have Gus' pot in there instead of the 5 position rotary sw.

akg414sa4.jpg

[quote author="CJ"]check 1 chack 2...

I sat on the couch with Eve Anna and we were making out for a while.
Do you have a picture of that?

http://vacuumbr.ipower.com//The_Lab/Microphone/AKG/414tube.jpg[/quote]

Didn't you find anything better to do with Eve Anna on the couch, you old fart? :razz:

It will take awile for the mic to think whether to change pattern, or not.
Why do you need the grid resistor? It seems that you need whether to omit it all together, or add one more resistor (going to cathode) for the proper tube bias.

Best, M

OK, thanks.

Pucho, have you opened up the pwr supply yet?

He must have gotten zapped while out behind the patch bay or somethin.

Hey Marik, don't knock it til you tried it.
:grin:

A Fred Cameron 414 tube mod on ebay, with many clear pics.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Cameron-Lab-AKG-C414-C12-Conversion-Tube-Microphones_W0QQitemZ320317358133QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item320317358133&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A3%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1308

[quote author="hitchhiker"]A Fred Cameron 414 tube mod on ebay, with many clear pics.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Cameron-Lab-AKG-C414-C12-Conversion-Tube-Microphones_W0QQitemZ320317358133QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item320317358133&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A3%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1308[/quote]

That's quite a long distance from capsule to grid, but I suppose you can't help that if you use an additional box like that.

I wonder what this CEK12-2 capsule is? Maybe a newer version of the CEK12.

did you ever record the cathode resistor value in the power supply? It looks like it would be the one next to the film cap.
If so was it 39k?

Latest posts

Back