How to hook up trafo on output?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldenGeek

Hi!
First of all I have to say that I`m a newbie with DIY, so sorry if I ask stupid questions.

I`m in the process of racking some channels from an old Midas desk. Actually 2 channels are up and running, but I`m thinking of making things a bit simpler for the next 6 channels I`m gonna rack. The way I`ve hooked everything up is that I have soldered the unbalanced output into the input of a group-bus-channel that has a Sowter 3612 on the end. However - this setup require almost all the space in the box since the crads are rather huge. My question is:

Can I somehow hook the iron on to the unbalanced outputs so thet I won`t have to put the whole group-channel in there?

Here`s some info about the Sowter 3612 (which I got from Brian Sowter): This transformer has a 30 ohm CT primary. The secondary is 600 ohms tapped at 200 and 30 ohms.

Thanks in advance :)

Seems like this is a stupid newbie question that noone bothers to answer? Well, anyway, it seems like the trafo can be hooked directly on to the unbalanced output. I just have to figure ut the wires of the trafo. Am I right?

But this leads to another question:
How can I add a potmeter to reduce gain? I guess it should go between the unbalanced output and the trafo, but I bet there are some schematics that needs to be followed, right? It`s just not as easy as stick a potmeter in there..?

The reason why I want to be able to reduce gain is to be able to overdrive the inputs without overdriving my AD-converter. These pre-amps are really hot by the way, it seems like I need to use the -20db switch on almost everything. Should be nice on ribbons this one :)

Actually it's a full day + 14 minutes, but still... Give it a little time, goldenGeek.

I don't know the exact transformer and I haven't done what you're doing there. I could only tell you how to connect the unbalanced output to the balanced primaries on the transformer but I guess that's what you figured out yourself...

I'm sure someone knowledgeable will drop by...

Ok, thanks :) I kind of figured out the wiring when I took a closer look at the group-channel schematics/print cart. However I have no idea what config it is. I`ll give it a go and if it works it`s all good :)

Is it corect to put a resistor across from + to - after the transformer? It seems like there was sitting a 1.5k resistor at the original card between + and - right before it went to the XLR out.

It was never my intention to whine, so sorry if you got that impression. (My english is maybe a bit off since it`s not my primary language). I`ll try to behave in the future ;)

Back