Can a local help me through my first preamp?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

limit6

I would like to start diving into building my own studio gear because I find is fascinating and know I'd love using gear I built. I really want to build a Redd.47 Abbey Road preamp, but the only experience I have is making instrument cables, installing guitar pickups, and building a DIY envelope filter kit. I live in Philadelphia/South Jersey. Would anyone be willing to help me learn how to track down the parts, and allow me to meet up with them and supervise my build over the course of a day or as long as it takes? I apologize in advance if this is an unreasonable request. I just found this forum five minutes ago and I'm really excited.  ;D

Thanks all,
-Andrew

there's loads'o'reading [ and in it, infromation ]
start with the meta's but

you may want to start with more straight ahead
established build [ more resources to help you ]

Look for one where all the bom parts come from one source
like digikey or other , that should help with a little less frustration
from the start

okgb said:
there's loads'o'reading [ and in it, infromation ]
start with the meta's but

you may want to start with more straight ahead
established build [ more resources to help you ]

yup

and sourcing components is part of the whole diy thing

If you ever need to repair some piece of gear it really helps if you know you suppliers.

you don't see many diy r47's around. And that's mostly because it's a challenging project with parts that are hard to obtain...
and it involves lethal voltages too :)

try one of gyraf's projects first. they're very well documented, and they often have multiple complete bom's (bill of materials)

You might want to check dripelectronics.com for Greg's 47 project which has PCB available and is fairly well documented. I have not built it myself, however.

I have done his V72 which is pretty good, other than the spec'd input transformer.

--Peter

Hey there, I'm in philly and will hopefully power up my drip 47 this weekend.  I'm not sure how much help I can be, I'm not at a level where I can just find a cool schematic and build it.  The drip projects that peter mentioned seem like a logical next step for you, it's not a kit, but there's very detailed (and educational) instructions and he tells you exactly what parts to get and where to put them. 

Latest posts

Back