THD hotplate

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
> everybody else that uses the resistor idea (Airbrake variety) has a fixed value of 8 ohm and then mismatches to 4 or 16.

Yet a pentode output sounds very different under-loaded or over-loaded. A too-low Z probably preserves the "sound" best (but may heat the tubes). And with impedance-variation, both types of limiting can happen. OTOH, a transistor amp (some folks use them) may get very sick with a low-Z load (OTOH, most sound the same at any impedance above their minimum).

So you could push a 4Ω version for tube-amps and a 16Ω job for tranny-heads, but that isn't really any simpler.

> autotransformer, we're playing around

Yeah, I really can't think of an affordable part. I happen to be blessed with a pair of JBL-branded irons with 4/8/16Ω taps rated 200 Watts above 30Hz and really very flat and clean 20-20KHz. I'd fearlessly put these between any 100Watt guitar-amp and any load, and expect "audibly perfect transformation". Probably take 400 Watts of guitar without audible distress. But these must have been frightfully expensive, between the size and the logo.

If you are shopping for samples, Dave here has ordered custom iron from Edcor. They do a lot of big audio iron. Hmmmm... standard part 300 Watt Auto Transformer 70 volts with 4 ,8, & 16 ohms $47.16. (This is really just 4/8/16: 70V at 300W is 16.33Ω!) But Dave says they wound his custom sample wrong the first time (they quickly got it right) so you should bench-check before you wail. (The company has an interesting history.)

> I can't talk about it yet.

Understood. There is a whole nasty branch of US law about pre-announcing products; ask IBM, Altair, and Gibson. Intel and Dell can give limited "advanced briefings" after a dozen lawyers map the minefield, but you can't afford the lawyers. Also even when you have a final product, you want to leak it to dealers in a way that they won't get stuck sitting on stocks of an "old" model.

extract from an interview with the SansAmp designer
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1996_articles/jun96/andrewbarta.html?session=043ffd4c6c282a0c138d8de8b133cecb

[quote author="PRR"]> everybody else that uses the resistor idea (Airbrake variety) has a fixed value of 8 ohm and then mismatches to 4 or 16.

Yet a pentode output sounds very different under-loaded or over-loaded. A too-low Z probably preserves the "sound" best (but may heat the tubes). And with impedance-variation, both types of limiting can happen. OTOH, a transistor amp (some folks use them) may get very sick with a low-Z load (OTOH, most sound the same at any impedance above their minimum).

So you could push a 4? version for tube-amps and a 16? job for tranny-heads, but that isn't really any simpler.

> autotransformer, we're playing around

Yeah, I really can't think of an affordable part. I happen to be blessed with a pair of JBL-branded irons with 4/8/16? taps rated 200 Watts above 30Hz and really very flat and clean 20-20KHz. I'd fearlessly put these between any 100Watt guitar-amp and any load, and expect "audibly perfect transformation". Probably take 400 Watts of guitar without audible distress. But these must have been frightfully expensive, between the size and the logo.

If you are shopping for samples, Dave here has ordered custom iron from Edcor. They do a lot of big audio iron. Hmmmm... standard part 300 Watt Auto Transformer 70 volts with 4 ,8, & 16 ohms $47.16. (This is really just 4/8/16: 70V at 300W is 16.33?!) But Dave says they wound his custom sample wrong the first time (they quickly got it right) so you should bench-check before you wail. (The company has an interesting history.)

> I can't talk about it yet.

Understood. There is a whole nasty branch of US law about pre-announcing products; ask IBM, Altair, and Gibson. Intel and Dell can give limited "advanced briefings" after a dozen lawyers map the minefield, but you can't afford the lawyers. Also even when you have a final product, you want to leak it to dealers in a way that they won't get stuck sitting on stocks of an "old" model.[/quote]
Well everything I say goes only for tube amps.
As for mismatches...
4 into 8 into 4 will be just fine as since the transformr will do less work, and unless the design is just crap flyback won't be any issue.

We already having the guys that build our transformers make us some samples, and we made some changes and waiting for more samples.

[quote author="Tim Campbell"]Hey Ed,
The next Indian dinner's on me!!![/quote]
Ah, sounds like we have a dinner in Frankfurt then! :)

[quote author="clintrubber"]
Hi Peter
I am owner of SE100 and if you have schematic it would be fine.
Thanks in advance
Duka

Please stay tuned, hope to put them up one of the upcoming days.

BTW, do you like this unit ? Please tell.[/quote]

Hi Peter
Thanks for schemaics. Mine is in very good condition. I like it. Also I have old 1960 Marshall box with 4x25W GreenBack and I can compare sounds. Speaker is speaker, but if you want to record your amp on 6 in small room and enemy-neibourhood it is right solution.
STUDIO-1.jpg

Duka

> Duka, Here we have the (3) files of your unit: {Marshall SE100}

Wow. Looks like explosions in both the choke and chip factories.

The high-level stuff is extravagant: five different simulated-speakers of significant power handling. Four of these are used in two "voltage dividers" used to reduce level 6 or 12dB, or 18dB for both. But not just voltage dividers: they also simulate impedance. (The fifth is "just" a dummy-load for when you use no speaker at all.)

Note that critical facts are not shown: flux and current capacity and tap-locations of the chokes. Such a set of chokes would be special-order, all those details worked out with the choke-maker, and such chokes almost never need replacement, so no need for details on the schematic.

And quite a few chips for speaker electro-acoustic response shape (and I/O functions). A lot, but working through what they do, you need about that many kinks to model a typical speaker sound, and a few switches to aim for different classes of sound (bright, ballsy, etc).

Note that the balanced-line output is a pair of TL07x chips: it will comfortably drive 10KΩ but will be unhappy if it ever sees 600Ω. Otherwise the circuit looks fine.

from Duka:
Thanks for schemaics. Mine is in very good condition. I like it. Also I have old 1960 Marshall box with 4x25W GreenBack and I can compare sounds. Speaker is speaker, but if you want to record your amp on 6 in small room and enemy-neibourhood it is right solution.

My pleasure. You're also using the SE100 with the output-stage of that 1/2 19" H&K-box ? (have one too, Cream Machine I thought, they're nice).

Also thanks PRR for your comments on the SE100-circuits.

Must admit that at first I wasn't too sure about the way 'enemy neighb.' was meant - like with that Beh. MX8000 way up front :wink: (don't worry, the very same desk here too...)

Bye,

Peter

[quote author="Tim Campbell"]Hey Ed,
The next Indian dinner's on me!!![/quote]
I believe we have a week until dinner is on you! :)

Latest posts

Back